Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
My wife has on 06 ex-l 4wd. I rarely drive this vehicle but I'm driving it today. She has told me about this problem before so I tried to replicate it today. When going ~50mph and floor the gas the Pilot downshifts to what I believe is second gear. The rpms shoot up and you hear the engine noise increase, but the vehicles acceleration really does not match the noises you are hearing, and the trans is not slipping. Then the car starts to accelerate more quickly once the car upshifts into 3rd gear. What would make it feel like I am hitting a wall/towing a boat in second gear at high rpms? VTEC not working properly? What do you all think? The CEL is on for a pre cat code (P420 or 430 don't remember which), but I have replaced that pre cat with an aftermarket cat and the code came back, so I am guessing its either an oxygen sensor thing or a crummy aftermarket cat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wild guess, transmission (hopefully someone will have a better idea).

What's the service history on ATF fluid?
I don't know the full history of the service history on it, but when I got the pilot I changed the fluid with Amsoil fluid. This problem has been present for the full time of our ownership (about 2 years), never gotten better or worse.

·
Registered
445 Posts
You say that rpms increase, but vehicle speed does not? That is the textbook definition of clutch slip. If it does it for just one gear, then the clutch pack for that gear is slipping.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You say that rpms increase, but vehicle speed does not? That is the textbook definition of clutch slip. If it does it for just one gear, then the clutch pack for that gear is slipping.
I guess I could have been more clear on that. The rpms increase when the vehicle down shifts like you would expect. The rpms do not continue to climb quickly after the down shift...they stay pegged at about 5k, and the vehicle accelerates very slowly. It's not slipping...maybe just a poor description by me. I have driven plenty of vehicles with slipping transmissions...that's not whats happening here.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Ok, that makes sense to me now. I think that Rocky maybe hit it right on. At 5000 rpm, you should be at the peak of the engines power curve. If it's dogging, restricted exhaust is one likely cause.

It's either a restricted fuel supply, or an engine breathing problem. If it's breathing, then it's either intake restriction, or exhaust restriction.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Does the same issue occur in first or third gear? I would guess that if it’s an air restriction issue it would occur at 5k rpm in any gear (possibly being more noticeable in 2nd and 3rd since there is higher air drag on the chassis).

What about if you manually shift it into 2nd gear? Is the behavior the same?

Just throwing some things you might try out there. STMech would know better than me if they are relevant to attempt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts