Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2008 Pilot seems to have a weird slow-ish start problem. Totally random. It hasn't been cold here. The car sat at the airport for 4 days and when I started it last night it started right up. Today it sat in a parking lot for a couple of hours and turned over for maybe 5 seconds before starting. This has happened for the past few weeks.

It doesn't matter how much gas I have either. The battery has been tested by several auto parts stores and it is fine.

The only different thing I could think of that's changed recently, is I had the oil changed by a reputable place. They put Mobil1 0W-20 and I usually use 5W-20. I don't know how that could make a difference though.

The alternator has about 40,000 miles on it and the starter is original.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
73 Posts
0W-20 is fine I use that too during winter and up to 5W-30 in summer.

Did you check if the oil was filled properly? overfilled might have caused it...

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
Does it make any difference, when starting, if you pause for a few seconds with the key in the ON (II) position before proceeding to the START (III) position?
You should hear the fuel pump run for a moment and then stop while the key is in the ON (II) position.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
0W-20 is fine I use that too during winter and up to 5W-30 in summer.

Did you check if the oil was filled properly? overfilled might have caused it...
Oil level is perfect.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does it make any difference, when starting, if you pause for a few seconds with the key in the ON (II) position before proceeding to the START (III) position?
You should hear the fuel pump run for a moment and then stop while the key is in the ON (II) position.
Hmmm I’ll have to check. I seen to recall not hearing that recently.
hopefully it’s the relay

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
Kinetic disassembly can be an unintended consequence of excessive percussive maintenance.
Hey, this is a family show. :D
And we don't need to hear your comments on fluid dynamics, either. :D

OP, that's what starters sometimes do to let you know they're on the cusp of shuffling off this mortal coil.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,184 Posts
Check cables from battery positive, battery negative, and connections to chassis from the engine block. Beyond what has already been mentioned by others it could be loose or corroded wiring.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, this is a family show. :D
And we don't need to hear your comments on fluid dynamics, either. :D

OP, that's what starters sometimes do to let you know they're on the cusp of shuffling off this mortal coil.
Gosh I hope it isn't the starter. It seems like a complete PITA to replace.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Most difficult part of replacing the starter is getting those two bolts to break loose.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went somewhere last night and the car made a noise when I turned the key and it sounded like the fuel pump. I will continue to monitor.
So my question is, if the starter is going bad, would it continue turning over for a few seconds before it would catch? Usually when I've encountered bad starters I'd turn the key and there'd be a click and no start. Any ideas?

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
If it is the starter, at least it's giving you fair warning. Mine just up and died far from home.

At least if you hear the fuel pump engaging when you pause between ON and START, that's a bit of good news. Although it's rarely been known to fail, it's an even bigger PITA to swap out than the starter.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,185 Posts
I'm thinking anti-drain back valve in the fuel system, or a fuel pump issue too.
My 'ol Dodge truck- will turn over fine, but you have the try the starter like 2 or even 3 times to get it to start.- fuel pump/rail issue. Not the oil, not the starter.
Don't crank it more than 3-5 seconds at a time.

Sounds like a possible Main (Fuel Pump) Relay issue. Try smacking under the dash when it does it and see if it makes a difference.
Smack that..............dash!

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Car started fine today. I have about a quarter of a tank for what that's worth. I think I'll replace the fuel pump relay since that's easy. If it continues, I will probably drop it off at my mechanic and pay for an hour for them to figure it out.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
At least if you hear the fuel pump engaging when you pause between ON and START, that's a bit of good news.
I always do that before I start my cars, like a "pre-flight checklist". Get in the car, turn the key to ON (hear fuel system prime), turn-off HVAC if left on when last driving, turn the radio down, then turn the key to START and my vehicles start right up. Saves the motor and starter some extra wear on startup before the oil system pressurizes and re-lubricates everything.

I think the issue by not doing it mainly lies in lost pressure in the system, say from old rubber hoses that are no longer as ridged as when they are new. Also temperatures can also be a factor, as fluids in general expand when warm, and contract when cold, fuel is no exception (and is why it's best to fill up at the gas station in the morning before the sun starts to rise.)

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
If it’s the starter going it may crank the engine a bit longer than normal before the engine fires up. On my wife’s Pilot it took about an extra second to crank. She started getting nervous it would leave her stranded. Replacing the battery, since it was due anyways, didn’t change a thing. Replacing the starter fixed the problem.

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
134 Posts
Saves the motor and starter some extra wear on startup before the oil system pressurizes and re-lubricates everything.
To the best of my knowledge the oil system is strictly mechanical.. driven off the crank.. the rest of this post is spot on. Give the pump a second to prime the line.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
I think I'll replace the fuel pump relay since that's easy.
Sure, or even swap in a known good identical one, to see if it helps.

(and is why it's best to fill up at the gas station in the morning before the sun starts to rise.)

Ain't nobody gettin' me outta bed jus' fo' dat.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts