Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Pilot EX-L 4X4
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, having a odd problem on my 2012 EX-L 4X4 (108K) and I wanted to present the clues and see what everyone thought...First off bough tires for it less than 15K ago and had it aligned. Regardless of rotation it seems to be eating the fronts, especially the outside edges. I took it to an alignment shop I really trust and he said that he got it back into range (not too far out) but noticed that when you gun it it wants to pull noticeably to the right. The suspension components all felt tight so he said maybe a broken motor mount, but he saw no other evidence of this. At the same time, this vehicle seems to always sound like it has a rock stuck between the rotor and the sheet-metal guard on the front left tire. It would rattle and rub then go away for a couple days. Yesterday while parking it into a spot where I had to turn hard to the left it made a sound like I ran over a piece of metal! No metal was found and the sound went away. I took it home, pulled the caliper and rotor, lubed the slider bolts and checked everything. All looked good. I took it for a test drive and it was quiet until I took a hard left to turn around and the "rock in the wheel" sound came back! I was able to walk along beside it while my son drove and was definitely in the front right wheel and it 100% sounded like the guard on the hub rubbing the rotor. It quit before I got home so I took the tire off and felt around the guard. There was a gap all the way around! I turned to full lock in both directions and nothing came close to hitting the guard and pushing it into the rotor. I went ahead and bent the guard back to give it a little more breathing room all the way around and now the noise it gone, even when turning.

Since the only thing that spaces guard and the rotor is the wheel bearing, the only conclusion I can come up with is that either the rotor is slipping the hub of the bearing or the bearing is slipping in the hub itself. The bearing gives no indication that it's bad. It's silent while I'm driving; no growling or quiet to loud when you swerve at high speeds. Is this a common problem? Is this even possible?!? Would a bad or slipping wheel bearing cause a pull under hard acceleration?

Thanks in advance!!!
Brad

·
Registered
604 Posts
Generally you jack up the vehicle, grab the tire, and rock it back and forth all over, hit it with a rubber hammer, etc, to see if you have play in your wheel bearing. Odd they aren't growling.

·
Registered
2012 Pilot EX-L 4X4
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, so I replaced the wheel bearings this weekend... What a PIA to get the old ones out! They should include new rotor guards with the kit cause you're gonna do some damage to them! Regardless, the passenger side did have some play it it but again, there was no noise. New ones sound the same. Also I can't convince myself that when I gun it at like 10-15 mph and it downshifts and pulls hard that its not still pulling to the right some. Thoughts? Thanks, Brad

·
Registered
604 Posts
Some pulling is normal when you gun it, as all the power tends to go to one side.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Sounds like you have a CV axle joint going bad.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
The apparent torque steer is caused by something in the suspension allowing the wheel to move slightly fore/aft. Toe changes.

The Normal Suspects list includes the rear inner control arm bushings and support, commonly referred to as the "compliance bushings" in our Pilots. The bushing cracks and leaks fluid. Another user mentioned the symptoms and solved them by re-torquing those and the front bushings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts