Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came back from having my mechanic take my 03 for a drive so he can experience what I experience. It bucks sometimes, at all speeds. It's not hard, but definitely noticeable. In fact, when it happened for him, he asked if that was it, because he was expecting something worse. Happens every time I drive it, local streets and roads, highway, etc. It happens more often when accelerating from stop, but it's done it when I've been driving along at a steady speed, too. My mechanic, whom I trust, thinks it's probably missing and needs a tune up, rather than the transmission. He said if there was a transmission problem, the "D" would have started flashing by now, since I've owned it a year and it's done it the whole time I've owned it(funny that it didn't start doing it until I'd owned it for 30 days and was out of lemon law at that point) and it doesn't at any point. The vehicle has NO codes right now. Like, I said, I trust him, but he's been wrong before, not too terribly wrong, and only two or three times over the last 25 years I've been with him, and I understand that they can't always know what the actual problem is until they get into it, and sometimes, repairs are "Try this fix first and see what happens," but I'm concerned that this will be one of those times he's mistaken. Is he right that the "D" would have started flashing by now? Could it just be missing and a tune-up should cure it? I need to be able to sleep tonight not having to worry about this so much. Any thoughts are appreciated!

·
Registered
857 Posts
Sounds more like an engine misfire under load. Try searching these forums and Google for the possible cause. No trouble codes? Did your mechanic try his Honda capable code reader?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did your mechanic try his Honda capable code reader?
I'm sure he did. It's an independent shop, but every mechanic in the place has their personal certifications framed and hanging on the wall in the office, Honda being one of the many for each. So, I'm quite sure these guys are over certified in everything. And I'm sure they've got every piece of necessary equipment. I'm also quite sure that if I called him right now and said, "Did you try your Honda capable code reader?" he'd laugh thinking I'm being a smart ass and cracking jokes because he knows I'm a smart ass and he knows I know better than to ask him stupid questions seriously. Since you've said exactly the same words he said, I can sleep tonight knowing he's right. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts