Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 EX-L with about 135K. I've noticed that occasionally when I let off the accelerator, then resume, I get a jerk/clunk. It doesn't happen every time. It doesn't seem to be speed dependent either. It's almost like it's hunting for a gear and then shifts hard into it when it finds one. I would say that shifting otherwise feels completely normal.

VCM has been disabled and I had a trans fluid change at the dealership last year.

I'm not sure if this is something to be concerned with, or that I just have bad driving habits.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Depending on severity I’d say it maybe normal. This isn’t a Lexus. Ours has always (we have had it since new with 12 miles) done the same thing in certain situations specifically when coming back on throttle to drive up our street. Basically 100% repeatable. Dealer says it drives like a Pilot.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Depending on severity I’d say it maybe normal. This isn’t a Lexus. Ours has always (we have had it since new with 12 miles) done the same thing in certain situations specifically when coming back on throttle to drive up our street. Basically 100% repeatable. Dealer says it drives like a Pilot.
I have 175,000 on my 2011, VCM disabled, and it does the same thing Briantii mentions. I would check the things mentioned in the posts above. If they check out ok, then I would not worry about it. If it is the transmission, there is not a lot you can do except baby it. If it gets worse, you could try Lucas Transmission Fix. I have not used Lucas on my Pilot, but I did use it with success on our Toyota Solara with 200,000 miles. It really smoothed things out. Good luck!

·
Registered
2010 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I will have someone with more experience check the motor mounts. If it's normal, I'd be fine with that too. I had an old CR-V and that did all kinds of 'normal' Honda things. It was also at 230K when I traded it in and still running like a champ.

Though, CV axles sounds like a possibility. I think they're original and my mechanic was going to change them out when he did the catalytic convertors. Unfortunately, they were seized in and he said he would've had to charge extra labor, instead of just parts cost. He said they weren't damaged, but there was a small seeping leak from the boot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts