Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I have an 04 pilot that I bought at 136k roughly. I did all of the research on here and immediately flushed the trans 3x, installed a trans cooler, changed vtm, brake fluid & all other fluids.
I have maintained this and done a fluid change after another 35-40k.
The car runs and drives great, but I feel like it has a slight shifting shutter in the first few shifts. This only seems to happen when accelerating very gently.
I seem to recall there's a way to clean solenoids or easily replace them? I'm also pretty sure that this is one of the only years with an external trans filter that I'll probably change too.

Any ideas on what to check out?

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,299 Posts
Hey all,
I have an 04 pilot that I bought at 136k roughly. I did all of the research on here and immediately flushed the trans 3x, installed a trans cooler, changed vtm, brake fluid & all other fluids.
I have maintained this and done a fluid change after another 35-40k.
The car runs and drives great, but I feel like it has a slight shifting shutter in the first few shifts. This only seems to happen when accelerating very gently.
I seem to recall there's a way to clean solenoids or easily replace them? I'm also pretty sure that this is one of the only years with an external trans filter that I'll probably change too.

Any ideas on what to check out?
My only advice would be to do 3 D&Fs using Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF to remove the non full synthetic Honda DW-1 you have in your Z1 transmission. This will most likely end all your problems unless there is some other major underlying condition.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,850 Posts
Yes, 3x drain (not flush) & fill with full synthetic Valvoline Maxlife ATF, driving a few miles between each. Next step would be changing that fortunately accessible transmission filter you have, then OEM pressure switches. But take it step by step to see if there's improvement.

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
What is the basis for the recommendation to drain and refill the transmission three times?
Removing the dinosaur petroleum/non synthetic DW-1 ATF from the transmission as safely as we know how. I'd do 2 drain and fills, driving a few mile between, warming the transmission up to operating temp each time. Then before the 3rd, drive a 100 or 200 miles letting the Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF do its job, cleaning and penetrating into the slugged thsts preventing the transmission from working properly. After a 3rd D&F your transmission will be about 80% MaxLife ATF. If you use a driver side left rear jack each time, draining more fluid out, you may be closer to 90%. Because your now shifting smooth as silk, with no judder, It's time for.... Banana Dance!!!

Reactions: plplplpl and aggrex

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,438 Posts
That light throttle stutter or flutter says it’s time to replace the third and fourth gear solenoids.
It’s a well documented problem and solution.

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
That light throttle stutter or flutter says it’s time to replace the third and fourth gear solenoids.
It’s a well documented problem and solution.
Especially if DW-1 remains the ATF of choice.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So another question... I live in MN, but I'm currently in Florida with the car. Should I do a drain and fill with new fluid, drive it home then do it again?
I don't want to replace the solenoids until I get home if possible. However, I do have a full tool set on me if needed...

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Only basic tools are needed for the solenoids. How is the ATF color, smell, etc currently? Depending upon when your last drain+fill was could dictate your next step since you have a long drive.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Only basic tools are needed for the solenoids. How is the ATF color, smell, etc currently? Depending upon when your last drain+fill was could dictate your next step since you have a long drive.
I drained and filled the trans fluid about 5000 miles ago. Haven't checked the color or smell but will tomorrow...

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
It's a long drive, and I'd try to see to it earlier rather than later, but you're going to be putting in mostly highway miles, if it comes to that, in which case accelerate slowly, try to keep a steady speed, and lay off the cruise control in hilly areas.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,193 Posts
It's a long drive, * edited- in which case accelerate slowly, try to keep a steady speed, and lay off the cruise control in hilly areas.
Well, that's no fun! I thought you drive yours like you stole it! LOL

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
Me, yes (but safely, of course); however, we're trying to get the OP from FL to MN without leaving part of his shuddering transmission somewhere on the side of a highway.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey all, one quick update. Upon researching this a bit more, the pressure switch locations looked oddly familiar. I checked my amazon order history and I did replace the solenoids 3 years ago with oem honda switches. 28600 & 28610 RKE 004

Should I replace them again? Or just start with the flush & fills (I'll probably replace the filter also).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quick update: We made it back to MN from FL with no problems. I've done 2 drain and fills with Valvoline Maxlife. I just did a 1x drain and fill about 8000 miles ago and the fluid is pretty stinky and discolored.
I have a filter coming and will add an additive with the 3rd drain and fill.
So far it is definitely shifting better, but not 100%. I'm sure that by the 3rd drain and fill and additive I should be good to go. Thanks a ton for the help so far everyone!
Looks like I'm going to increase my drain and fill frequency to every 10,000 miles or so from now on...

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
Looks like I'm going to increase my drain and fill frequency to every 10,000 miles or so from now on...
Some may consider the Maxlife ATF drain & fill I do every second oil change overkill, but I consider it cheap insurance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.