Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Originally posted by vkarcher (See "The official 2004 honda pilot changes")

I just returned from the dealer. The 2004 Pilot was in the shop being inspected to be the dealer's demonstrator. I sat in the 2nd row and slid it back and forth several times. IT REALLY MOVES A LOT!!! I was surprised. What a feeling to see that update come to fruition. I was impressed and elated. The 2nd row seat slids forward about 4 inches (estimated). Both the 60/40 sections slid individually. Once the seat is forward it tilts forward to allow entry into the 3rd row seat. The 2nd row seat also tilts backward a number of degrees for seating comfort. :18: :claphead: :roadtrip:
Now that we know that the 2004 has adjustable 2nd row seats, I can't help but ask whether there is a modification I can do to my month old 2003 that will give me the same functionality.

I haven't seen a 2004, but I'm hoping that by changing the rails on the seat and the floor that a 2002/2003 could be upgraded.

Does anyone out there know how one would go about upgrading the seat funtionality? What parts would you order and what would they cost? :8:

Lucky for me, my Canadian Pilot already has the heated leather seats and the heated mirrors. :roadtrip:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I took a look at our 2 week old '03 last night to see what may be involved. The seat rails are mounted to the floor with studs that have nuts on the bottom/outside of the Pilots floor board. I am sure you will at least have to remove/lower the gas tank to even get to them. I would imagine that after the nuts are removed you'd pull the seats out and then remove the rails from the seats. The new rails would have to: #1 be very inexpensive to warrant this type of work for 100mm of travel, and #2 (of course) be able to be fitted to the '03 seats and function properly. I would imagine that Honda made no changes to the actual seats themselves since they don't like to change things unless REALLY needed. I would be willing to go for it if providing it didn't cost an arm & leg , and it functioned properly.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I agree. As long st it doesn't cost an arm and a leg!

Never had an issue with the 2nd row, but adding 3-4inches would be nice...

:)

ps you do mean that they travel back 4in and not forward 4in correct?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
brooklynpilot said:
ps you do mean that they travel back 4in and not forward 4in correct?
No, they travel forward. The point is to make more room and easier access for the 3rd row, not to enhance the 2nd row.

·
Registered
78 Posts
more room in the 2nd row? really?

I'm a decent sized guy, and there is a lot of room back there. Are you cramped, or just think it would be cool to have limo-like accomodations? :bling: Just curious.

Of course, that would give you a little more room for other activities... :yodaddy: Giddeyup.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Basketball family
I'm 6'5", my 13 year old is 6', wife is 6'1"
We bought the Pilot for the space. Most available. Even so when the kid is in the back, Mom has to slide the seat forward. He can't sit comfortably behind me at all. Bit of a nitpick at this point, since I don't have to sit in the back. But when he's 15, if he keeps growing, it'll be a real pain.

Quite honestly I had more leg room in my Audi. Of course there was no back seat then.

ciao
Mooz
exlss

·
Registered
486 Posts
Expensive

The current middle seat brackets are about $450 for the pair. I would expect the '04's to be a liitle more still....

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm 6'5" and one of my first tests before buying was putting the driver's seat in the position I would have it to drive. Then I got in the 2nd row behind the driver's seat. I could actually fit just fine. I'm still amazed by that. I have never had another vehicle I could do that in. I think your 6' child needs to sit up straight. :confused:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hmm....

I did the same thing. I'm 6'5", little brother is 6'3" and we were able to sit in front/ behind each other comfortably. Granted, I couldn't sit in the back and swing my knees side to side without touching the seat back (as in a London taxi), but I don't expect that in a private vehicle.

Perhaps my bar was set a little low... the wife and I each drove a 4 door Civic for the first 7-8 years after college and now have a Pilot and an HL.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
It depends on how your height is distributed (legs v. torso). Some 6 footers have longer legs than others.

·
Registered
21 Posts
$450 for seat brackets is ridiculous. How much are the seats themselves, $10,000? I for one will not be spending $450 plus labor for a retro-fit just to get 100mm (4") of travel.

·
Registered
747 Posts
unfortunately $450 is a par price for two pair of rails. I am thinking how about just swap the 60% one. That will be lower than $250. Or maybe there will be 3rd party parts.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Re: Expensive

MDXlite said:
The current middle seat brackets are about $450 for the pair. I would expect the '04's to be a liitle more still....
I wonder how much I could get for my Pilot if I sold it in pieces?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts