Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'I'm new to this - hope I'm doin' it right ! I have an '07 exl awd (130k) - "slack" (subtle clunk) in drive train - most noticeable when lightly on/off gas while cruising - can sometimes feel it with shifts . For $100+ a "reputable"/ highly reviewed shop told me they didn't know what the "slack" was from - but they thot it was in the final drive - and that I should keep an eye on it & bring it back if it got worse! (No!) But first they thot I should have 2 "loose"? (Not separated or broken) motor mounts replaced ($1300) although they weren't related to the "slack" issue !
So l'm wondering if this issue is familiar to anyone or if anyone has any thots, ideas, or suggestions? Hate to go to the dealership or AAmco ? Thanx

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,018 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I’m not saying this will be the answer, but what has your fluid replacement schedule been for tranny, transfer case, and rear differential?

As for the motor mounts if it’s the passenger side and front mounts the price you were quoted seems high. My Honda dealer ($155/hour shop rate at that time) wanted $1000 to replace those mounts. I’m not sure if the 2007 and 2005 are relatively the same for those, but if you are moderately mechanically inclined they can be DIY’ed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trans fluid was done at dealer @ 1007k (I assume that included transfer case - supposedly complete recirculting flush ) - the rear dif. Done @ 120k as per maintenance minder. Motor mounts -right front & rear - yes I could certainly do those for less than they quoted ! Thanx for respondo .

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,018 Posts
The transfer case fluid on 2006+ Pilots is a separate entity from the tranny fluid.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
It may not even be in the transmission or diff. There are plenty of clunks from the suspension which occur under similar circumstances.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Road2cycle - I don't see reference to transfer case in owners manual except to have it done w/trans. Do you think an oil change place can do that separately? Can - I have heard suspension related noises, but this is like a "delay" between engine and drive train - feels like u joints in a rwd car. Thanx for your thots guys .

·
Registered
294 Posts
If you're reasonable sure the motor mounts need replacing, I'd do this first as this is a common issue at the car's age/mileage. Then see how the car drives. Don't be surprised if this solves your "slack" problem - all cars have on/off throttle driveline slack that mostly goes unnoticed until the motor starts shifting and making clunking noises.

I doubt the problem has anything to do with the transmission, transfer case, or differential and changing fluids won't affect things, although if fluid changes are due, then this is another "why not do it and see if it affects the problem" thing to do. If it isn't the motor mounts, I'd suspect cv/u-joints or something amiss in the suspension. High-mileage Pilots that drive in the rust belt have had occasional issues with corrosion of suspension and drivetrain mounting parts. Certainly a careful inspection of the car on a lift would be in order.

- Mark

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok - I'm Not sure about the mounts - the shop didn't demonstrate that issue to me and they didn't feel it was related - but they did say I could see the effect by power-braking it (in reverse - yes?) So I will check that out . thanx

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I jacked the left (front) wheel off the ground and rotated it by hand - it has at least 30 degrees of free play before the axle contacts any resistance inside the trans - seems like a lot to me but maybe I'm just trans- paranoid ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts