Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,843 Posts
I am quite satisfied with my Jsport skid plate. I don't use it for freeway debris though. Our freeways are nicely debris free. I have it for the overlanding/off roading I do though. Simple install 6 bolts that match up exactly to mounting points under my 2020 Passport.

For easy servicing I added a Fumoto oil drain valve.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,843 Posts
I try to avoid the jacking points if at all possible. They are not the most structurally strong item on Honda's unibody construction.

·
Registered
2016 Honda Pilot Elite AWD
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Front one is solid metal for me its strong enough esp when changing brakes and rotors but I always use jack stands it does not matter

·
Registered
138 Posts
While I use a Jsport one, I drilled it for the "U-Bolt" mod which instead of the 4 or so puny bolts up front it uses U-bolts on the front subframe. Best thing about the NoLo one is that he has his skid plates pre-drilled for that mount as an option.

I also like the rear diff skid I have from NoLo and have to mount the gas tank one still but have that too.

Funny thing, while I got the front skid for off road use, when our Pilot was about a year old a big rig tread hit our undercarriage and caused a trans fluid leak. I wish I had the skid on back then lol

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Good info! I love seeing that we have options, and they both appear to be well made and have thoughtful features integrated.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
While I use a Jsport one, I drilled it for the "U-Bolt" mod which instead of the 4 or so puny bolts up front it uses U-bolts on the front subframe. Best thing about the NoLo one is that he has his skid plates pre-drilled for that mount as an option.

I also like the rear diff skid I have from NoLo and have to mount the gas tank one still but have that too.

Funny thing, while I got the front skid for off road use, when our Pilot was about a year old a big rig tread hit our undercarriage and caused a trans fluid leak. I wish I had the skid on back then lol
I would like to install gas tank and rear diff plates also for peace of mind in an off road trips

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I would like to install gas tank and rear diff plates also for peace of mind in an off road trips
If you go off the beaten path every now and then, the skid plates are sacrificial and will give you a second chance when you accidentally or intentionally bounce off something. The VTM-4 components are quite spendy to repair / replace and most everything is naked down there (vulnerable). Some skid plates for the Pilot may need to be custom or DIY

·
Registered
70 Posts
I installed the NO-LO design front skid plate, gas tank, and the rear diff. The quality is very good easy to install, quality workman ship and American made. I am starting a trip to New Mexico, Colorado and Utah next week and I will let you know how they all work out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I installed the NO-LO design front skid plate, gas tank, and the rear diff. The quality is very good easy to install, quality workman ship and American made. I am starting a trip to New Mexico, Colorado and Utah next week and I will let you know how they all work out.
Pikes Peak & Moab?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I can tell you my front skid saved me on one good impact, would have for sure hit the oil pan. I came down hard on a rock I did not see at maybe 3mph, dented the skid but still kept good distance from the pan. I am certain if I only had the front screws holding the skid in place that they would have ripped out. Thankfully I had the U-Bolts installed already.

I am usually super careful but visibility was hard. There was the sun in your eyes breaking through a lot of tree shade and I think the rock was just hidden by the shade.

So far my rear diff has no impact marks though. I forgot what I measured my clearance at but I think it was about 9.5" in the front.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't know about the U-Bolts installed. Can you describe what you do and size of the U-Bolts that you used?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I don't know about the U-Bolts installed. Can you describe what you do and size of the U-Bolts that you used?
Check out this instagram video clip, about 1min in but it is about the mod. NoLo skid plate now has the holes pre-drilled for them

(edit: Looks like you need to log into instagram to see the video)

Here is the NoLo kid and he mentions the U-Bolt size if you do not have an account. There is a pic where you can see the holes for them but basically the U-bolts go around the sub frame in front of the oil pan.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Check out this instagram video clip, about 1min in but it is about the mod. NoLo skid plate now has the holes pre-drilled for them

(edit: Looks like you need to log into instagram to see the video)

Here is the NoLo kid and he mentions the U-Bolt size if you do not have an account. There is a pic where you can see the holes for them but basically the U-bolts go around the sub frame in front of the oil pan.
Thank you for the info, made me realized the importance of u-boltz.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts