Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive seen "Silver Star Lights" on a lot of the messages. Can someone tell me what this means? is it an option?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
I call BS

pjb3 said:
It refers to the silver color.
It refers to a type of Sylvania/Osram halogen bulb that puts out about 150% of the light of standard bulbs.
Other companies, such as, Phillips and Hella also make +50% bulbs.
I don't think there is a significant difference between the +50% bulbs from these quallity companies. Other high brightness bulbs can suffer from short lifespan and/or poor focus.

Yes, the tips of the Sylvania "SilverStar" bulbs are silver, but I think that is for marketing not technocal reasons.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do these really work? When we get our pilot I'm going to put on a HID conversion kit. I know they're expensive but it seems to be the only way of acheiving a true xenon lighting system.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Re: I call BS

N_Jay said:

It refers to a type of Sylvania/Osram halogen bulb that puts out about 150% of the light of standard bulbs.
Thanks for the correction. I thought he was referring to the color and got the names slightly reveresed ( having a SS Pilot made me think of color rather than lighting first ).

·
Registered
266 Posts
jswift2000 said:
Do these really work? When we get our pilot I'm going to put on a HID conversion kit. I know they're expensive but it seems to be the only way of acheiving a true xenon lighting system.
There are a lot of posts about the weak headlights on the Pilot. IMO there is confusion between weak headlights and sharp cutoff. There is a very definite line where the light stops and it is most noticeable when the road is at an incline ahead of you. This is only with the low beams, the high beams seem fine. Some people have simply aimed their headlights higher.

With HID systems it is not possible to have a low and high beam in the same bulb. Since the reflectors were not designed for the HID bulb I would not expect optimal results. Also I believe HID factory systems are required to have some form of leveling, either in the headlights themselves or the suspension of the car, to keep from blinding oncoming traffic when the vehicle is loaded and the front tends to rise.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just did some research on the web on HIDS. There is a great company that does hid conversion kits - hid4less.com. There is good news and bad news. Good news is the HIDs look great!!! There is a posting on the acuramdx.org web site with pics (http://acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=4069&highlight=hid). The bad news is Honda, for some unknown reason, used on bulb for the low and high beam (bulb is 9003/h4) which means hids could work but only for low beam. Ive already contacted the company above to see if they will have a dual filliment xenon/hid lightbuld.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
H4 HIDs

H4 Type HIDs are available.
They work by either moving the bulb or moving a shield to change the beam pattern the way H4 use two filiments.
They are a bit more than normal HID conversions.
I don't recommend HID lights in Halogen housings because the bulbs have diffferent chariteristics and tend not to be well focused.
They look great to you but often blind oncoming traffic.
In addition the low factory aim of the Pilot's headlamps seems to be to make up for the higher aim when loaded.
I have Phillips +50% bulbs and get quite a few "flashes" already when loaded (the car not me) :)
I have not adjusted my lights even though they are a bit too low empty, they are obviously a bit high loaded.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts