Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy All,

Ok fellas, last night I went to the dealer to pick up my Silver Honda Pilot EX L (running boards, mirror, and fogs installed). Overall the dealer experience was good. They took me through everything on the car and taught me all the controls. Only thing was, at the end of the sale they were really trying to push their extended warranty and/or their Protection Plan.

I've gotten extended warranties before and never really put them to good use. So this time around, I pocketed the money that would have gone to purchasing the warranty extension, and took the chance that nothing serious would go wrong. Besides, my philosophy is, that the money I pocketed could be used toward the car if something did go wrong.

As for their Protection Plan, this included rust proofing, paint coat sealant, interior cleaning warranty, and some kind of sound deadening spray they put on the under carriage. Suppose to make the ride quieter. They really made an effort to try to get me to purchase this stuff. But I did'nt budge. I thought new cars now-a-days don't need this. Opinions anyone? Did anyone else get these extra's? Sound deadening spray ... what the heck is that?

First thing I did when I got home was stuck my Honda Pilot.org sticker on the back and installed the rear splash guards (I picked up these up before I purchased the car!).

Then my (8 month pregnant) wife, my two year old daughter and I watched a bit of Monster's Inc in our brand new Honda Pilot!!!

Annnd Now I'm an official memebr of Honda Pilot.ORG.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Way to go and good luck w/ your new vehicle! You must be very excited and will probably drive along endlessly for no particular reason just to be in your new car. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Congratulations, RUFIO!!!

:2:
Sounds like it was a great experience!!!

Personally - I always get the extended warranty. Just in case!
:(

Be sure to post your pilot info in the
Vin Table if you haven't already!!

Safe Piloting to you & yours!! :29:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Extended Warranty

You have time to get the extended warranty if you want, anytime while the manufacturer's warranty is still in effect. You will have ample opportunity should you later change your mind and want to control your potential repair expenses. Also, it is likely that you can find the extended warranty cheaper from other places... like anything else, you can do a little research to find best prices for those.

As far as the add-ons go, I would be surprised if there was something that could significantly dampen road/tire noise based on spraying the underside of the car. If there are, you could probably do it much more cheaply yourself (and probably better by following instructions on this or other forums such as odyclub). Same is true for fabric protection... making sure you use the "safe" sprays.

Don't second-guess yourself. Great vehicle, and after you own it awhile, you'll have the chance to determine for yourself what add-ons and "sprays" might be important for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
RUFIO said:
Howdy All,

Ok fellas, last night I went to the dealer to pick up my Silver Honda Pilot EX L (running boards, mirror, and fogs installed). Overall the dealer experience was good. They took me through everything on the car and taught me all the controls. Only thing was, at the end of the sale they were really trying to push their extended warranty and/or their Protection Plan.

etc.. -----------------------------

Annnd Now I'm an official memebr of Honda Pilot.ORG.

Glad to have you aboard, RUFIO! I know you will seriously enjoy your new PILOT as well as being a member of this board!!! Not only can you find just about everything you'd like to know about your vehicle here, but you'll enjoy the comaraderie (did I spell that correctly?) and the great sense of humor on this board.

I have experience with extended warranties on two vehicles before buying my Pilot. In both cases, the gamble paid off.

In the case of my '98 Civic, I only needed to invoke the extended warranty once---but the repair expense matched the amount I paid for the warranty plus a few dollars beyond. In the other case--a '91 Toyota 4x4 truck--we came out about $300-$400 ahead, due to brake/engine repairs on a couple of occasions.

So, we decided to take the plunge again on an extended warranty for the Pilot. My only regret is that we went for 5 years, 60,000 miles instead of 75,000 miles.

As far as the Protection Plan goes, I subscribe to Consumer Report's advice....they have consistently recommended AGAINST the purchase of these plans, saying they are unnecessary, duplicate protection already provided by the manufacturer, and provide no real benefit. Thank goodness, the last two dealerships I bought cars from didn't push me at all to purchase such a plan.....

·
Registered
393 Posts
Welcome aboard!! Glad to hear we have another SS Pilot in the bunch.

As far as warrenty goes, I was against it too, but I realized that the rear differential and drivetrain is still new technology so I figured it might just screw up and cost a bunch to fix. Can't wrench on them like I used to with the old 69 Camaro.

Undercoating is a bunch of garbage though. No way a 1/16 thick coating on the bottom of your car will deaden road noise enough to notice it. Good choice to skip it!!

Happy Piloting

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
congrats .....will wave at your silver pilot when my silver pilot sees yours on the Chicago roads...

as for extended warranty ..check out hondawarranty.com

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey...Way to go Rufio!!! Starlite Silver Met. is a great color. You will never regret your color choice. It hides the dirt really well and shine like a brand new penny. Enjoy it. The Pilot is the best of the bunch!!

·
Registered
415 Posts
RUFIO said:
As for their Protection Plan, this included rust proofing, paint coat sealant, interior cleaning warranty...
I did get a paint sealant warranty for my NBP. I take the pilot back twice a year (for three years) to be cleaned and re-sealed and they warrant against any paint defects caused by the atmosphere, weather, bird doo-doo, etc. It (Auto Butler) costs $199, but I got it as a freebie:2: .

Oh, CONGRATULATIONS, BTW.:29: :29: :29:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ramirami said:
congrats .....will wave at your silver pilot when my silver pilot sees yours on the Chicago roads...
hey ramirami I actually live in the NW suburbs of Chicago as well. I'm up in Streamwood. If you see another silver with honda pilot.org stickers, most likely will be me or my pregnant wife!

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
RUFIO: when we bought our Pilot, the bizness manager sold us a (supposedly) new product that she claimed will dampen the noise when you're inside the vehicle. We ended up buying it. She said to put one in each ear.....

Attachments

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
RUFIO said:

hey ramirami I actually live in the NW suburbs of Chicago as well. I'm up in Streamwood. If you see another silver with honda pilot.org stickers, most likely will be me or my pregnant wife!
I am in arlington heights....and you will see me with my pregnant wife too in a silver pilot.

When are you guys due? We are due 08/01 ...:2: :2:

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Hey congrats, ramirami!!!! Is this your first? In RUFIO's original post, he mentioned his wife was 8 months pregnant so she should be due shortly!!! :29:

Time to pass out the cigars... :26:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wow, lots of pregnant wives in pilot. Mine is 5 month pregant and is due in late July. Actually the pregancy (will be our 3rd baby) forced us to look at something with more than 5 seats. I would not be enjoying my Pilot if wifey is not pregant.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
kemosabe said:
Hey congrats, ramirami!!!! Is this your first? In RUFIO's original post, he mentioned his wife was 8 months pregnant so she should be due shortly!!! :29:

Time to pass out the cigars... :26:
yes this is our first....we are getting ready for those sleepless nights...:eek: :eek:

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
ramirami said:

yes this is our first....we are getting ready for those sleepless nights...:eek: :eek:
You could get lucky and your infant may sleep through the night sooner than you expect (like my friend Stephen (3 weeks)). Or you could be unlucky (like Mr. & Mrs. Kemosabe) who's infant didn't sleep through the night until he was a year old.... :3:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Our baby is also a Pilot baby. My wife drives it everyday and our baby is due July 26th.

I too am trying to catch up on my sleep now.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mr. & Mrs. Kemosabe,

You are lucky. Our first son did not sleep through the night until he was almost 2 1/2 years old. He would wake up even at the age of two every few hour wanting to suck on his night bottle. If you don't give it to him, he will cry for 45 minutes straight......unlike most kids who would go back to sleep, he never did. We had it bad!

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
vincent_esq said:
Mr. & Mrs. Kemosabe,

You are lucky. Our first son did not sleep through the night until he was almost 2 1/2 years old. He would wake up even at the age of two every few hour wanting to suck on his night bottle. If you don't give it to him, he will cry for 45 minutes straight......unlike most kids who would go back to sleep, he never did. We had it bad!
Oh my!!! vincent_esq, you definitely had it worse than us!!! Boy, I can't imagine going "sleepless" for 2-1/2 years!! How old is your little guy now?

·
Registered
144 Posts
vincent_esq said:
Mr. & Mrs. Kemosabe,

Wow Vincent_esq

Sounds like we had the same play book!! N ow that the kids are a little older, they drive you crazy in other ways! Thank god for the Pilot, it helps smoooooth out that drive.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts