Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my Pilot last night from Buerkle Honda in White Bear Minnesota. The entire purchase experience was satisfactory. My car came in last week, there was a waiting list, the person in front of me canceled so then I got mine. First thing I checked for was the color of the paint in the door frames. I know now what everyone was talking about with the lack of metallic in them. It almost looks a light white color. I went over to a SS Odyssey to check it out. Sure enough, it had for the same problem. So I ask the salesperson what the deal was. He contacted his body shop person who apparently contacted Honda of America. Their explanation is that there are environmental penalties levied against automotive makers for every pound of metallic paint that is sprayed. Every automaker has cutback this in some way, and Honda's cost-saving option was to limit its use on the inside door frames.

Now I think it smells a little like a dealer BS, but what am I to say? I know a lot of european auto makers charge extra for metallic paint, could this be the reason?

BTW, I love my Pilot. No strange noises yet. But, who could hear them with that stereo!!!

·
Registered
920 Posts
Welcome to the Pilot club of Minneapolis...I know the guys at Buerkle well...

Have fun!!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Metallic paint

Does Metallic only mean the Silver?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I do not beleive that....

It may be true, but I will not beleive that explanation.

Mine is blue, some blues has that problems. And not all silver has that paint problem if I'm not wrong.

Maybe that is why the person infront of you reject the Silver car, because of paint problem he saw.

If it is not to late wait for next Silver that do not have the problem.

European car like MBenze, they charge metalic paint mostly on low end model. Like the Classic model trim in Canada, equal to Pilot LX model in US. most of the higher trim model comes with Metalic paint with no charge, as that is included into the higher price, I think.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I don't know ... The Nighthawk Black Pearl is metallic as well, and there isn't that problem with mine. But, I'd be hard up to give you a better explanation ...

PrG

·
Registered
373 Posts
My door jambs and inside the fuel filler door don't have any metallic either. I don't like it but I don't see it as a real issue either. If they were to add extra paint I'd want it on the door handles.

I think Honda just got cheap on the light colors and skipped the clear coat where it wouldn't show.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Personnally I think it stinks. But you can read more about it in the already open thread. I am close to a resolution with Honda and will be able to give more information when I am done. I don't really buy the fine thing though. The closest item I received that seems reasonable is this:

The Pilot is painted with the doors on the vehicle for a smoother transition from quarters to doors. The doors are on but not latched and since a good amount of the black mouldings are not on the vehicle the silver over spray gets into these areas, just not enough to give the smooth coverage you find on the outside of the vehicle. Now, why is it worse in some colors as compared to others. Silver and Havasu seem to be the most prevalent but I would not be surprised if the Sandstone were similar. I think the darker colors may have it as well but it is probably not as noticeable due to their dark base. It's almost like the deeper base help hide it. I would bet that the hinge area has this issue on those colors.

IMHO if there were such a fine, companies would find another color or be painting the bottom half of all these things black.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
clarification

1. The person in front of me rejected my vehicle because he was apparently cross-shopping a Lexus GX and decided that the Pilot wasn't luxurious enough...no S#$* sherlock, the GX470 are about 30 grand more. My car had 8 miles on it when I picked it up.

2. There is clear coat on the doors there isn't as much metallic flackes. I would be pretty upset if I didn't have clear coat.

3. There is rarely clear coat on the back side of a fuel door. Just like the back side of your body panels, ie the hood, the roof, the fenders, etc. If you took these off of your car, I will bet you that from the factory the back side doesn't have clear coat and probably doesn't have much color!!! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MG Pilot

I had the 3M nose mask installed by the folks at Buerkle and it doesn't look too hot...I have a wrinkle in it and a strange mark across the middle. Where/who did you get yours installed? How much?

·
Registered
290 Posts
This is interesting info if it is true. Any reasoning for why a levy would be placed on metallic paint? It sounds fishy. If we were betting, I would put my money on dealer BS.

·
Registered
920 Posts
stimpsjd said:
MG Pilot

I had the 3M nose mask installed by the folks at Buerkle and it doesn't look too hot...I have a wrinkle in it and a strange mark across the middle. Where/who did you get yours installed? How much?
I had it done by an installer out of Monticello. I had called around to Brookdale Honda, Brookdale Acura, and others to see who did their cars. They gave me this guy's name and number and he did it for $150...Both dealers wanted over $200. How much did you pay for your hack job???

I would take it back and have them re-do it. Or, get your money back and have my guy do it for you. I have no lines, wrinkles, etc. It looks great.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I paid 140 dollars. They are coming out to my place of business on Thursday to fix it...and I asked about another vehicle they quoted 145 apparently they give Buerkle customers a deal. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts