Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 Pilot - apologies if this has been discussed, but I couldn't find anything in the search. Is the plastic engine cowl really necessary? I'm used to having quick access to my engine compartment, and I know sometimes "new and improved" features are aesthetic rather than functional. However, this board probably knows better than I do. What do you lose or gain by keeping this engine cover off all the time?

Thanks, Alex

·
Registered
813 Posts
It's not really that useful. Some cars have it as a heat shield so it doesn't boil the clear coat, but the engine in this car doesn't create too much heat up top. I'd definitely get more people's opinions before you do this. I think @Nail Grease uses his Pilot without the cover.

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,420 Posts
It's not really that useful. Some cars have it as a heat shield so it doesn't boil the clear coat, but the engine in this car doesn't create too much heat up top. I'd definitely get more people's opinions before you do this. I think @Nail Grease uses his Pilot without the cover.
Yep, It's wall deco.

🕸

Reactions: aggrex and ys1219

·
Registered
370 Posts
Mine too, pulle off for plug change and left it on the shelf in the garage, It's for looks. some have insulation on them not for heat but to muffle loud fuel injectors. I don't find the pilots loud and there was no insulation on it so I left it off so I don't need to pull it the next time I need to look at or fix something.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
2017 Pilot - apologies if this has been discussed, but I couldn't find anything in the search. Is the plastic engine cowl really necessary? I'm used to having quick access to my engine compartment, and I know sometimes "new and improved" features are aesthetic rather than functional. However, this board probably knows better than I do. What do you lose or gain by keeping this engine cover off all the time
Perhaps searching for “silly cowl” limited your results :D Now I have two plastic engine covers hanging on the garage wall. There’s a chance the engine could run a bit cooler without them or now the mice/snakes will no longer take up residence.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Not a fan of the engine cover looks. First thing after purchase pulled it off expecting to see aluminum. Eek! Nobody wants to see that! Cover reinstalled. I understand the reason for going to a plastic intake but miss the aluminum upper intake manifold looks. Also I find it strangely calming to be greeted by “Earth Dreams Technology“ as I raise the hood!

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Not a fan of the engine cover looks. First thing after purchase pulled it off expecting to see aluminum. Eek! Nobody wants to see that! Cover reinstalled. I understand the reason for going to a plastic intake but miss the aluminum upper intake manifold looks. Also I find it strangely calming to be greeted by “Earth Dreams Technology“ as I raise the hood!
I agree with the ugly. But no one is under the hood but me. IMO, A nice name like Earth Dreams really has no place on this engine. Though it may burn less fuel, I'm sure the earth gives up more energy and resources having to make a new vehicle for a consumer because his was turned to garbage sooner by this supposed great technology. Should be renamed "Earth Nightmare."

·
Registered
813 Posts

Speaking of the Earth Dreams plaque, seems like they got rid of that for 2021. I was watching a review on the 2021 Pilot and the engine cover surprisingly didn't have that on. Could be that someone took it off at the dealer. Either way, it's really weird.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
View attachment 141258
Speaking of the Earth Dreams plaque, seems like they got rid of that for 2021. I was watching a review on the 2021 Pilot and the engine cover surprisingly didn't have that on. Could be that someone took it off at the dealer. Either way, it's really weird.
Lol Honda!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts