Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow Piloteers, I have a dilemma on my hands. Since I got our 2003 Honda Pilot EX-L 146k we have had an ABS and intermittent VTM-4 light. Upon pulling codes, I got a 26-1 ALL WHEEL SENSOR NO PULSE, 24-1 RR WHEEL SENSOR FAILURE, and 16-1 RIGHT REAR WHEEL SENSOR FAILURE. In addition, I was getting a 77-1 POWERTRAIN SYSTEM FAILURE along with a 78-1 VTM-4 CTRL UNIT FAILURE and a differential temp sensor failure (forgot to write down the code number on thr last one). I replaced the temp sensor yesterday, drained and refilled the diff fluid, and the VTM-4 codes disappeared.

Today, I was onto the ABS issue. I removed the bad RR sensor which was obliterated in the hub so I had to use a heat gun and picks. Here's where my problem arises: I am nearly positive I removed the same sensor the Pilot rolled off the factory floor with. Rust has accumulated in the sensor's hole and it got to the point where I had to ultimately break the old sensor partially to get it out and the new one doesn't fit into the rusty hole. I tried picking and scraping at it but to no avail. My questions are as follows: I'm thinking of taking 80 grit then 120 then 160 to it. Is this the best course of action? And i know a missing ABS sensor will pop the ABS light, but is it normal to pop the VTM-4 too?

Sorry it was long winded, but any input or advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Casey
P.S.: I found plenty rear wheel speed sensor posts, but couldn't find any that involved seized, rusted, or broken ABS sensors.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
And i know a missing ABS sensor will pop the ABS light, but is it normal to pop the VTM-4 too?

Sorry it was long winded, but any input or advice is greatly appreciated!
Yes, that is indeed normally the case.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that is indeed normally the case.
Yes it's normally the case that it will pop the VTM-4 code with a missing wheel speed sensor or yes you normally would have to sand the rust off to install the new sensor?

Thanks for the response!
Casey

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Yes for the VTM-4 code, and probably also the case for the rust.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Awesome thank you plplplpl. Just wanted a second opinion. I can't see any other method working. I tried a circular wire brush that's a perfect fit right inside the hole with great contact and good tension that should've been enough force to remove at least some of it and it didn't really even touch it except for turning a tiny bit of it into Rust dust. Also a little bit of the plastic from the broken sensor ended up in the hub which was inevitable. Should that be a problem? I will report back with the results of the sanding later.

Thanks for the quick response
Casey

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Back with the results! I thought of a faster way to get it done. Wrapped 80 grit around a socket and duct taped it (don't remember what size but it was between 12-14mm) and let it rip for awhile. I ended up not going up to 160 grit because it was getting cold and dark outside but I am pleased to report it worked like a charm! Put some dielectric grease on the new sensor and popped it in. Problem solved. Now to see if the VTM-4 light comes back on.

Reactions: plplplpl
1 - 6 of 6 Posts