Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Side View Mirror Glass Loose

19K views 38 replies 21 participants last post by  MtMan 
#1 ·
On my 2021, the side view mirror started shaking over bumps so you could not see clearly in the mirror. Honda was going to replace the whole mirror assembly under warranty as they don't sell just the glass part. I said no as I just had the outside of my mirrors covered in clear bra. Plus I don't want to deal with another tech scratching up my car. ;)

I popped the mirror off and found the glass was separated from the mount. I shimmed it up and just epoxied it.

Attachments

See less See more
#11 ·
On a brand new car that's under warranty? Yes.

Clearly, just my opinion, but it would never occur to me to start improvising fixes on a new car that I would otherwise apply to a 20 year old car that I'm just trying to drive another year. If that mirror stops working and the dealer sees all of that improvising when they go to repair/replace it, you may be on your own.

#16 ·
On a brand new car that's under warranty? Yes.

Clearly, just my opinion, but it would never occur to me to start improvising fixes on a new car that I would otherwise apply to a 20 year old car that I'm just trying to drive another year. If that mirror stops working and the dealer sees all of that improvising when they go to repair/replace it, you may be on your own.
Fixing a plastic mirror is a bit different than pouring stop leak in a transmission for example.

#10 ·
day one i noticed driver side mirror vibrating. determined the mirror was not properly glued or double sided tape. was going to wait till first service but i found the mirror hanging by the wires one day and just double sided taped back on. so far so good, hope when i take it in no hassles.

#12 ·
Finally got the dealer to ordered me a replacement 'glass' (that's what they said, not the entire assembly).

They're so tricky, first pretending like didn't know anything about this 2021 issue on my first stop w/o appointment then told me to make one.
The same day I went back after knowing what's going on with my car (thanks to this post), he was like 'Oh you already have it diagnosed?' followed by offering me a replacement order right away which he could do on the first time w/o playing the game.

I suppose to bring the car to the dealer today for a technician to test drive on the freeway as I claimed but no longer needed. I guess they only replace it for you if and only if you know exactly what wrong with the mirror.

#13 ·
From another forum, apparently Honda has learned from the supplier for the mirrors that the supplier had a run of who knows how many hundreds or thousands of mirror assemblies that they mirrors did not have enough adhesive applied.

Apparently from what was reported, Honda is now the middle man for replacing the mirrors. Kind of like the Takata thing, the manufacturer is suppling the replacement mirrors to Honda and footing the bill. Fortunately for this manufacturer the only problem is the shimmy shimmy shake from the mirror, no deaths like from the Takata air bag fiasco.

#18 ·
I just got 2021 Pilot EX-L less then a month ago and the first thing I noticed when I took it to highway the reflection in driver side mirror were very fuzzy comparing to my previous car because of vibration. I immediately looked at passages' side and it was ok. I put a finger on the mirror why driving and vibration stopped. It's driving me nuts. I'm glad I found this forum. It looks like wide spread issue. This is definitely a safety issue. I pushed the center of the mirror as other suggested and it fixed the problem for some time, but it came back. We should all report it to dealer so Honda get enough complains to issue a recall.

#31 ·
My 2021Pilot has been to the dealership 3 times. First to replace the glass due to "adhesive problems"(hence the shake). Part not in stock. 2nd time to actually replace the glass. Car was returned with distorted image when looking into it. Like a carnival mirror. Returned a 3rd time to replace the replacement. Car was delivered back to us with the same problem. Am driving out to the dealership tomorrow to let the service manager look at it.

#25 ·
I hate to tell you. I had my mirrors replaced last week. Same issues as already described. They ordered the whole new housing. Now, the technology is not working and the mirrors shift position when I shift from park to reverse or reverse to drive. They also change position when the car is parked. The driver side mirror changes position while the car is in motion. I have another appt. scheduled next week. I have heard this is also an issue on Ridgeline. Good luck everyone!

#26 ·
In my case, they have just replaced the mirror itself but not the entire assembly. The new mirror fixed the shaking issue but the picture in the new mirror looks weird feels like there's a magnifying glass embedded in the center of the mirror itself.

"mirrors shift position when I shift from park to reverse or reverse to drive" --- that sounds normal to me, my car does the same. I believe you can disable this from the settings.
"They also change position when the car is parked" --- something wrong about this.

#32 ·
Thanks for the post. The service manager at the dealership we bought the Pilot from insists he can't see the distortion in the glass. A service person from another dealership does see it. I'll keep after them until it gets fixed properly. It's a $24 part. They can probably afford it.

#35 ·
2021 pilot same problem. I noticed both sides shaking in windy conditions or highway speeds. Yesterday drivers side popped off and left dangling by heated wires connection. I put two sided tape for temp repair. When you do not have side mirror you really miss them. So I consider this a safety issue that Honda should address.

#37 ·
I bought my 2021 Honda Pilot in about August 2021 and it had this issue with the mirror shaking. I had it replaced with a new mirror ordered under warranty in December. The new mirror had an issue with a ripple/wavy/fun house look to it. It was a huge distortion felt like I was getting dizzy looking at it. I had to get it replaced under warranty and the new mirror that was ordered they replaced it had a smaller distortion but it was still noticeable. I had it replaced one more time and it was the same with the new mirror another distortion this is in January 2022 now. I instantly told them I thought I was going crazy or it was my eyes but when they took a look they told me I was right. They said I could take a look at one of the 2022 Pilots in the lot and pick a mirror with less of a distortion from one of their cars there. After I took a look at the ones there and seeing the distortion in those too it seemed like a problem Honda is having with the mirrors in general. I picked the one with the least distortion and they swapped it. So after a month of 5 service visits and 4 mirrors I am still left with a distorted driver side mirror, but I got one with the lowest distortion I could find.

#38 ·
Just had this issue over the weekend. I was getting a car wash the the dryer duct flipped the driver's side mirror. My daughter who was in the back seat immediately said the mirror just popped loose. I assumed she just meant the whole had flipped in, but when we got out and I flipped it back open the glass was just dangling there. It had separated from the backing. I was able to get into the dealership first thing Monday morning and they fortunately had replacement mirrors in stock and replaced it fairly quickly. The service advisor said there was a service bulletin on the issue...

#39 ·
Recall just issued for 20-21 Pilot mirror.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.