Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2021, the side view mirror started shaking over bumps so you could not see clearly in the mirror. Honda was going to replace the whole mirror assembly under warranty as they don't sell just the glass part. I said no as I just had the outside of my mirrors covered in clear bra. Plus I don't want to deal with another tech scratching up my car. ;)

I popped the mirror off and found the glass was separated from the mount. I shimmed it up and just epoxied it.

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
How did u pop the mirror off? My actuator acts up on occasion. Once the glass is off is there a way to take the whole thing apart?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How did u pop the mirror off? My actuator acts up on occasion. Once the glass is off is there a way to take the whole thing apart?
Adjust the mirror so the outside corner is fully extended and you can slip a flat blade screwdriver in their and pop off one clip, then the rest are easy.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did it fix the shaking issue?
I got the same problem took it to the dealer and they said it might just be the characteristic of the Pilot. I am not going to call that a characteristic but purely a defect.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, fixed. Many on Facebook are having this issue, Honda does not sell the glass/frame alone so they are replacing the whole mirror.

·
Registered
21 SE awd in ssm
13 Posts
day one i noticed driver side mirror vibrating. determined the mirror was not properly glued or double sided tape. was going to wait till first service but i found the mirror hanging by the wires one day and just double sided taped back on. so far so good, hope when i take it in no hassles.

·
Registered
304 Posts
epoxy is band-aid?
On a brand new car that's under warranty? Yes.

Clearly, just my opinion, but it would never occur to me to start improvising fixes on a new car that I would otherwise apply to a 20 year old car that I'm just trying to drive another year. If that mirror stops working and the dealer sees all of that improvising when they go to repair/replace it, you may be on your own.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Finally got the dealer to ordered me a replacement 'glass' (that's what they said, not the entire assembly).

They're so tricky, first pretending like didn't know anything about this 2021 issue on my first stop w/o appointment then told me to make one.
The same day I went back after knowing what's going on with my car (thanks to this post), he was like 'Oh you already have it diagnosed?' followed by offering me a replacement order right away which he could do on the first time w/o playing the game.

I suppose to bring the car to the dealer today for a technician to test drive on the freeway as I claimed but no longer needed. I guess they only replace it for you if and only if you know exactly what wrong with the mirror.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,878 Posts
From another forum, apparently Honda has learned from the supplier for the mirrors that the supplier had a run of who knows how many hundreds or thousands of mirror assemblies that they mirrors did not have enough adhesive applied.

Apparently from what was reported, Honda is now the middle man for replacing the mirrors. Kind of like the Takata thing, the manufacturer is suppling the replacement mirrors to Honda and footing the bill. Fortunately for this manufacturer the only problem is the shimmy shimmy shake from the mirror, no deaths like from the Takata air bag fiasco.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Clearly, just my opinion, but it would never occur to me to start improvising fixes on a new car that I would otherwise apply to a 20 year old car that I'm just trying to drive another year. If that mirror stops working and the dealer sees all of that improvising when they go to repair/replace it, you may be on your own.
This epoxy is permanent. Will out last anything the dealer would try to do.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Fixing a plastic mirror is a bit different than pouring stop leak in a transmission for example.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got 2021 Pilot EX-L less then a month ago and the first thing I noticed when I took it to highway the reflection in driver side mirror were very fuzzy comparing to my previous car because of vibration. I immediately looked at passages' side and it was ok. I put a finger on the mirror why driving and vibration stopped. It's driving me nuts. I'm glad I found this forum. It looks like wide spread issue. This is definitely a safety issue. I pushed the center of the mirror as other suggested and it fixed the problem for some time, but it came back. We should all report it to dealer so Honda get enough complains to issue a recall.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just got 2021 Pilot EX-L less then a month ago and the first thing I noticed when I took it to highway the reflection in driver side mirror were very fuzzy comparing to my previous car because of vibration. I immediately looked at passages' side and it was ok. I put a finger on the mirror why driving and vibration stopped. It's driving me nuts. I'm glad I found this forum. It looks like wide spread issue. This is definitely a safety issue. I pushed the center of the mirror as other suggested and it fixed the problem for some time, but it came back. We should all report it to dealer so Honda get enough complains to issue a recall.
It's an easy enough fix to do yourself and wait for a bumbling company like Honda to catch up

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's an easy enough fix to do yourself and wait for a bumbling company like Honda to catch up
I'm hesitant to try to pry side mirror on brand new car, I better have dealer do it and take a blame if something goes wrong.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts