Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was side swiped in my own parking spot in the garage. I live in a condo and my parking spot is all the way in one corner, which I like because then no one will hit me on that side but then the spot is smaller and harder to drive in and out of. Perhaps this is the reason why I don't drive my Pilot that much. I only have 5000miles and got the car last year July. Well I am extremely upset at the people you park next to me, because this morning I looked over to check on the car and I see black spots on my back bumper. I walked over to see damage and I look over to the next car which is also a brand new 2003 Honda Accord, no damage. I walk up front of the car to see that my siler paint was on their front bumper. They didn't even leave a note. When I know the alarm must have gone off because I was hit before on the driver door lightly and the alarm went off. I caught the person wehn they were driving off. All I have to say about that situation is they didn't stop, so I took action.

Well now that I let off some steam, I left a note on their car, waiting for them to call me because they were jerks and did not even acknowledge that they hit my car hard!!! So my question is how should I properly repair the bumper. The paint is complete gone in four slash lines and the paint is peeled to one side.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Well, first of all, take pics of your damage as well as pics of the other car with your paint on it. Next, I would ask your neighbors if they saw when it happened and file a police report to involve a third party. You should actively pursue them on this. I'd also call your insurance to file notification with them. Hopefully, they'll fess up to their mistake and get everything repaired to your satisfaction. Good luck

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Can't help you on how to take care of your vehicle now, but first things first. Like riseboi said, you should have called the police immediately. If they hit your vehicle and didn't leave a note or call the police themselves, then you needed to before they came back down. Here in FL it is against the law (obviously) to hit and run, there is also a law that states if the person fails to leave his/her information on an unoccupied vehicle they can go to jail.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took my camcorder right away and recorded the whole car and the other car that hit me. I left them my information. If I don't hear from them by morning, I will report it to the police. They are my neighbors and they are in their 60's. Perhaps they did not see or hear the alarm or they are affair to do something. I am going to the Honda Dealer near me to see how much it will be to repair.

Off the subjet: Does anyone know how much a rear camera install costs at the dealer or any place near Chicago that does a good job, inexpensively? I found a dealer who has extra cameras and they are about to send them back to Honda for credit, but they said they'll sell the the whole camera plus kit for $500. Is this a good deal or do you know where I can find a better deal?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
megao, sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident with your Pilot. Listen to FLPilot, and do as he advises you. When I hear stories like this, it makes my blood boil. I hate it when people try to get away with things like this. You mentioned that they're seniors, but I highly doubt if their senses have gone so dull such that they didn't notice such a scrape on your Pilot.

Make sure to get a picture or a video record of the paint transfer on the other car's bumper as well, if you haven't done so already.

As for the bumper, I'd think that getting it repainted at a reputable bodyshop should suffice, but if there's any structural damage to your bumper, make sure you get a new one. Your car's still relatively new, especially when considering the mileage, therefore, there's no way you should settle for a bumper less than that's as good as new. When my Pilot was rear ended, all the bodyshops I visited told me as such and mine had close to 10K miles when this happened, albeit my bumper probably had more damage than yours.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Off the subjet: Does anyone know how much a rear camera install costs at the dealer or any place near Chicago that does a good job, inexpensively? I found a dealer who has extra cameras and they are about to send them back to Honda for credit, but they said they'll sell the the whole camera plus kit for $500. Is this a good deal or do you know where I can find a better deal?

Your profile indicates you already have a rear view camera. Why do you need another one? Best price on-line is $574.80. So, you save a few bucks. I would estimate that the dealer will charge about $300 to install or you can do it yourself.

If you work things out with your neighbor where neither party wants to report this incident to insurance and the damage is only to the bumper, I would suggest buying another bumper from the dealer. I think you can buy it already painted silver and install yourself. Bumpers are fairly easy to install.

·
Registered
449 Posts
It is possible that they did not notice. As soft as these new plastic pieces are and as well insulated newer vehicles are, it could easily go unnoticed. I lightly swiped a vehicle in my truck once in a similar fashion as you describe and I would not have noticed if my passenger did not bring it to my attention.

Since you have to live next to these people, I would give them the benefit of the doubt that they could have possibly not realized that the scrape had happened. Now that the do know, hopefully they will do the right thing now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The rear camera that I have now is a generic camera that has its own '5 screen and wires coming through the car. It was only $250 and it looked good at the car show I was at but now I want the real thing. Its the same thing with my all-weather floor mats. I got $10 generic mats and now I want the real thing. I paid cash for my car and to get everything I wanted on my car, I had to cut a few corners and wait until I can buy the items for less on ebay.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
If you do not buy the rear view camera. let me know who the dealer is. I might be intereseted. I plan to install it myself. Also, in your profile, you have seat covers. What kind are they? Are they form fit? Where did you get them and how much?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I call the poplice this morning and they told me that they cannot do anything about the accident because there was no one there to see it. But he filed a report anyway and got a hold of the person by phone, she admitted hitting my car. Because she admitted it, I now have proof based on the police report. I got an estimate from a local Honda dealer for $400 for repairs.

The seat covers are extremely generic, where they did not even fit, so I cut the top off of them and onlky used the bottom part. I have been looking for new ones, but they are all one piece as I am only looking for two piece, so I can ajust and make it fit right. Well, Its a very very thin cover in a nice gray design. It helps because most people sitting in my car move their bottoms forward and back on the seats, so they won't sag as much, and they won;t strech the seat. I understand why people do this because I do it my self. I bought them for $10 on ebay five years ago for my LeBaron, that also had gray leather seats, they were made for that car, thats why they don't fit my Pilot. As you can see I buy mostly from ebay unless I find a good website with good prices. I am still trying to order my tips from partsamerica.com

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think am going to wait on a rear camera for $400 because I need the dealership to install it, now if I had a friend in the Chicagoland area that was a mechanic then I would buy it for $490.

Here is the dealer info for the $490 rearview camera.

Danny Bellomy
from
WWW.WhiteysAutoMall.com.
[email protected] or call us at 419-529-4000.

·
Registered
964 Posts
megao said:

<SNIPPED>
The seat covers are extremely generic, where they did not even fit, so I cut the top off of them and onlky used the bottom part. I have been looking for new ones, but they are all one piece as I am only looking for two piece, so I can ajust and make it fit right. Well, Its a very very thin cover in a nice gray design. It helps because most people sitting in my car move their bottoms forward and back on the seats, so they won't sag as much, and they won;t strech the seat. I understand why people do this because I do it my self. I bought them for $10 on ebay five years ago for my LeBaron, that also had gray leather seats, they were made for that car, thats why they don't fit my Pilot. As you can see I buy mostly from ebay unless I find a good website with good prices. I am still trying to order my tips from partsamerica.com
Not to get too far off the subject here but if you are using seat covers on your front seats aren't you effectively disabling the side air bags? Worse yet, what happens when those things try to explode out of the side of the seat and encounter the seat covers?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Aren't the side air bags in the door panel and not in the seats. At least that is what I thought and every time someone pushs the side door, the SRS light goes on. And the seat covers are so thin that the air bag would easily go through it.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
megao said:
Aren't the side air bags in the door panel and not in the seats. At least that is what I thought and every time someone pushs the side door, the SRS light goes on. And the seat covers are so thin that the air bag would easily go through it.
megao: No, the side air bags are in the driver's seat and in the passenger's seat... :4: :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Megao: I emailed Danny about the rear view camera. This was his response:

This kit includes all the parts needed to install on a 2003 Honda Pilot. It is brand new, never been opened. It is a part that we are having problems selling since we do not have very good GPS coverage in our area and therefore never have a Pilot with NAVI. It is either sell it or return it for our money back. $490.00 is our asking price.

Thanks,
Danny Bellomy

I emailed back and offered $400. Let's see what happens. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised that they (police) said that they could not do anything at first. Then again every State has their own laws and their own ways of handling things. I am glad that they took care of you anyway and got the driver to fess up. So I take it the other driver knew that she hit your vehicle? I hate people like that! Honest mistake is one thing, but if you hit a car, sack up and pay the price.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
FLPilot said:
Wow, I'm surprised that they (police) said that they could not do anything at first. Then again every State has their own laws and their own ways of handling things.
Generalizing I have found that the bigger the municipality the less effort the police put into the small stuff... or even the big stuff for that matter. They try to handle the quantity of calls and as a result the quality of service suffers.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Megao:

$490 is a firm price on the rear view camera. Danny will not go any lower. This is still an $85 savings. So, I'm prepared to buy this. But, before I do, just want to make sure you really are going to pass on this because I don't think you will get another opportunity like this here or on ebay. I don't want to screw you out of this opportunit since you found it. So, let me know

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Go ahead with it, I have found a lower deal on it before two months ago, but I missed out because I showed up too late. I'm know as the deal finder, I always get my price but the problem is waiting a long time to get it. So go ahead with the deal and good luck.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts