Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

What do you have on the side of your Pilot?

• Side Steps

Votes: 119 43.1%
  • Running Boards

Votes: 109 39.5%
  • Nothing at All - I like it this way

Votes: 48 17.4%
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you have on your Pilot? Sidesteps, running boards or nothing at all.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I don't have anything, BUT do like the look of the side steps. I just don't need them. (I'm 6'5"):D

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
We Have the Running Board... now.

Our 1996 Honda Passport (aka Isuzu Rodeo) had the side steps and when we traded her in for the 2003 Honda Pilot, I asked my wife if she wanted the running board or the side step. She adamantly said "running board" because, for some reason, her shoe kept sliding THROUGH the side step opening. How she kept managing that, I have no idea...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Running boards. I was afraid that if we had to transport one of our elderly mothers with the side steps that one of them would end up going through the side step instead of on it. I am happy with the running boards; they help keep the road junk off the sides of the Pilot.

DJS
2003 SS EX #09131

Running boards, fog lights, trailer towing package, wheel locks, rear mud guards, cargo tray, winter floor mats, full size alloy spare, chrome exhaust tip (Honda EX 6cyl type)

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Running Boards

I installed my running boards today. Got them on eBay for $345 + $35 shipping. Very easy DIY job.

I personally prefer the appearance of the running boards to the side steps.

·
Registered
409 Posts
$345.00 is a good price. Are they genuine Honda acc. or other brand?

We are getting the funds ready and think we will just call Tim @ hondacuraworld for them.

Don

·
Registered
1 Posts
I like both .
I put the steps on mine .
All of the PILOTS in my area have the boards on them .
Having the side steps gives me that one of a kind feel knowing that mine is alittle different from the rest .

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
CHROME STEPS

I'd go with side steps...but only if we could get the chrome like MDX...I really think the Pilot could use more chrome accents-(especially on the grill) but i'd have to see the chrome on before I bought them. So I can't really contribute to the poll here, I have neither. But I want steps...my 3 year old has a heck of a time getting in.

I can't remember who just posted it, but keeping the car clean is a good selling point for the running boards...thanks for pointing it out!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I got the Running Boards for both reasons mentioned here,
I thought they would keep the side of the car cleaner and
having a three year old they would be better for her not to
slip thru or off .
Speaking of the 3 yr old she thinks the boards were a special step i got just for her, she ran up and gave me a big hug and thank you for getting her a step to use.
I thought I liked the side steps better myself but the running boards look pretty sharp with the sage!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Cute!

What a sweet little girl you have :)

Are the side steps that far out from the body? I've never actually seen them in person. Guess I'll have to check that out...sounds dangerous for little feet.

·
Registered
204 Posts
hondacuraworld said:
Generally I sell running boards 2 to 1 over side steps. This goes for MDX as well as Pilot.
With three hours of intense hardwork on a cold garage floor, I was able to install the running boards.

Thank you Tim for promptly e-mailing the directions.

For everyone who plan to do it themselves,

When you attach the brackets under the chasis, DO NOT tighten the screws. Turn the screws in for perhaps one rotation so that the bracket stays in place. After the boards are placed on the brackets, tighten the screws. I learned the hard way.

:cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't have anything, but I like the side steps over running boards, which I am planning to buy in the next couple of weeks..

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
pre-sage pilot said:

[ S N I P P E D ]
Speaking of the 3 yr old she thinks the boards were a special step i got just for her, she ran up and gave me a big hug and thank you for getting her a step to use.
[ S N I P P E D ]
When your 3-year old little girl reaches her sweet 16, can you imagine the look on her face if you pull up and offer her these steps on her prom night??? :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
kemosabe said:

When your 3-year old little girl reaches her sweet 16, can you imagine the look on her face if you pull up and offer her these steps on her prom night??? :eek:
:eek: "where do you think she'd be going in that "limo", not
anywhere I'd let her go willingly"
:eek:

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
sppilot said:
I don't have anything, but I like the side steps over running boards, which I am planning to buy in the next couple of weeks..
I don't have either now - but have owned both on previous vehicles. The Pilot I test drove had something (sorry - senile moment, don't remember which) and I felt they made it more difficult to step out of the Pilot. After a trip to SD last weekend and a lot of very messy roads, I wonder now if the boards would help keep the sides of the Pilot just a tad cleaner.

Comments?

TIA,
rod

·
Registered
54 Posts
Side steps. My family is all tall, so we dont use them for "stepping" I liked the looks of the side steps better. Plus I do a lot of camping and I use them to stand on to secure stuff to the roof rack. I think the running boards "minivanize" the Pilot. But I can see how they'd be better for getting in and out of the car. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
162 Posts
running boards vs. step-up rails

I asked this question on another thread, but I would be interested to know what owners think? Is it purely a taste thing, or is there utilitarian benifits or either? What about maintanace and upkeep, which is better? Your opinion is requested.

:8:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts