Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed these a couple weeks ago, finally got around to posting. They went on pretty easy and gave me an excuse to buy a torque wrench.
;)

If you are looking for the full instuctions, click here.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a close up.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tips on installation:

Used cardboard to protect the finish while installing.

At step 5, only install the inboard bolts and let the sidestep hang. This makes it a lot easier to install than trying to installing all the bolts on each bracket at the same time.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Swing it up and you only need a single bolt to hold in place until the others can be inserted.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Nice install tim.s:29:, pics & instructions are excellent...I'm considering installing similar side steps so I'll be referring to your post when I get them.

·
Registered
119 Posts
tim.s said:
Tips on installation:

At step 5, only install the inboard bolts and let the sidestep hang. This makes it a lot easier to install than installing all the bolts on each bracket at.
Thanks for the great tip - - My steps get installed next week.

JJ

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Looks Good Tim!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Very nice Tim!! how long does it take you to install?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hey Tim, there's some leftover nuts and bolts in your last picture.:eek:

Steps look great. Now I'm really undecided on what I should get; side steps or running boards?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
guitarman said:
Hey Tim, there's some leftover nuts and bolts in your last picture.:eek:...
:rolleyes:Yeah that's the part where I said
tim.s said:
Swing it up and you only need a single bolt to hold in place until the others can be inserted.
The first picture is the finished product (with all hardware installed).

Res-Pilot: I forgot to watch the time and I took a break halfway through to move into the garage, but I'm guessing the actual install took about an hour.

Cleaning the underbody and removing the plugs wasted some time and the first obviously one took longer. Once you get it one and tightened, the second step goes really quick.

I started all the bolts by hand, but I used a cordless drill to spin them in first loose and then snug (not tight). Tightened everything with a torque and box wrench.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had my sidestep installed a month ago. And I started thinking how sturdy those mount brackets are if the car has to be jacked up? Since the brackets are mounted on the botton of the frame, the jacks dealers are using may lift the brackets.

·
Registered
288 Posts
lhs-tx said:
I had my sidestep installed a month ago. And I started thinking how sturdy those mount brackets are if the car has to be jacked up? Since the brackets are mounted on the botton of the frame, the jacks dealers are using may lift the brackets.
The steps or brackets should not be used to lift the car, the jacking points are still available and should be used. Make sure if you are taking your car to a non-Honda (or even some Honda) service location that they are using the correct point to lift the car, I actually had a service station bend a frame member, on a previous car, when doing a state inspection, not a fun thing to go through.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Another Satisfied .Org'er

Just a shout out to those of you who offered tips and help for installing side steps.

I am not the most handy guy around (not the least either), but I was able to install them this weekend in a couple hours with only a moderate amount of swearing (one of the bolts refused to thread into the underbody of the vehicle and I kept snapping the damn pegs before getting them out of the holes).

Your tips and pictures were highly valuable.

Next up.... Fog Lights!!

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
tim.s said:
Installed these a couple weeks ago, finally got around to posting. They went on pretty easy and gave me an excuse to buy a torque wrench.
;)

If you are looking for the full instuctions, click here.

Hey Tim, who made the side steps you have. Look good........thanx for the pics...

:29:

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
looks great...will follow your instructions when I install my side steps next spring

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Re: Side steps installed on Black EX-L

Art said:
Hey Tim, who made the side steps you have. Look good........thanx for the pics...

:29:
My side steps are the black, OEM (Honda) side steps from hondacuraworld.com

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ramirami said:
looks great...will follow your instructions when I install my side steps next spring
What are you waiting for? It supposed to get into the 70's today.:1:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
tim.s said:
What are you waiting for? It supposed to get into the 70's today.:1:
rami->:headslap: <-tim.s

dont rub it in....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Going to put my side steps on today or tomorrow. I see I need a 13mm socket and extension, etc. What are clip removers? Is this a specific tool? Are there different sizes? I haven't gotten under the Pilot and looked at these clips yet. What did other folks that installed these use? Did you have any problems removing the clips? Any inputs would be helpful, so if I need to run to home depot to get a "clip remover" I can. Thanks and Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
95 Posts
re: Clip Remover

Originally posted by Wampass (snipped) -
What are clip removers? Is this a specific tool? Are there different sizes? I haven't gotten under the Pilot and looked at these clips yet. What did other folks that installed these use? Did you have any problems removing the clips?
If I understand correctly what you are asking there are "plugs/clips" that are in the pre-drilled holes for the side step installation. The clips have an outer rim and a small circle in the middle. Simply use an object to "punch" in inner circle and the clips will fall out. If you don't, they are virtually impossible to remove. There may be a tool made for this purpose, but it doesn't require a special tool to my knowledge.

Good Luck.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts