Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there..so I purchased a 2012 Pilot in July and I'm having issues with the side mirror. It rattles when driving and is very noticeable when I close the door. I took the panel off and the screws weren't loose, it's the black piece that wraps around the mirror that is loose but I don't see anywhere of how to tighten it. How do I fix...it's driving me nuts!!! Also, my dashboard shakes on driver side when I go over bumps, it shakes bad. How do I fix that? Help!!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
The mirror assembly shows just the glass as a service part. Of course, the motor actuator base for the glass is mounted to the mirror base, and that may be loose and causing the rattles. You can manually (use your fingers...) to see if and where there's play or movement available to decide whether you want to pop the glass out and try and tighten the actuator. If you do go in there, add some LocTite to the screw threads to they resist coming loose again.

If it truly is the whole mirror support that's loose rattling, you'll want to go ahead and unplug the electrics and remove the three nuts so you can free the mirror from the door. Take extreme care so the mirror doesn't damage the door, perhaps including a safety support cord and a pad on the door itself. Once removed, you'll be able to see if the mounting studs aren't attached to the base anymore. If the mounting has impacted something (garage door frame is a favorite candidate...) and the mirror didn't swing out of the way correctly, the studs will give way in the base and cause the rattles you describe. You may be able to repair such damage with a good epoxy. Else mirror replacement is your option. Depending on trim level, you may be able to find aftermarket replacements online. If you have a high trim level and a main housing that's painted to match, your options narrow especially if you have Touring trim with the LED repeater.

The dash frame is held in place by 15 (!!) bolts distributed around the dashboard. Access to the 2 bolts just on the left end requires removal of the trim panel pieces there after the door seal is rolled back. You'll want to use a specialized plastic trim tools kit to get the retaining clips on that end panel to release. After that you'll see the two bolt heads in their recesses.

Meanwhile, there are LOTS of trim pieces and sub-assemblies that attach to the dashboard frame. When there's a rattle or shake that can be localized (vs the whole dashboard frame moving) you'll be disassembling somewhat symptomatically.

Know that there are airbag modules in the vertical A-pillars next to the windshield. Plan on disconnecting the battery and allow at least three minutes for the airbag capacitors to discharge before you start prying or banging on pieces near those trim sections. The cover will need to come loose or be removed to get the door seal and side cover off the dash for those end bolts.

All that said, a most popular cause of rattling noises in the dash is stuff that's found its way into the defroster vents at the forward edge of the dash by the windscreen. Change, keys, credit cards and other junk left on the dash slides forward as you slow down, and disappears in the never-never-land of the vent system. If this matches something you might remember, then you'll want to go hunting in those vents, perhaps with a flexible ruler wrapped with duct tape sticky-side out. MUCH easier than going into dash for the HVAC air box to try and extract pieces that have fallen in.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts