Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently considering installing a pair of side marker lights on our new Pilot. These are amber-colored lights that are located on each side of the vehicle, most often seen on european models.

Side marker lights are typically located forward of the front doors and rearward of the front wheel wells. They are usually wired to illuminate steadily with the headlights / parking lights and to flash with the corresponding turn signal.

I definitely favor the safety aspects of these lights, but it might take me a while to get up the courage to drill holes in my new Pilot.

Has anyone else installed these lights on your Pilot? If so, what type / brand did you use and precisely where did you locate them? Any unusual issues with installation?

·
Registered
240 Posts
ChiefPilot said:
Any unusual issues with installation?
If you do this, you'll need a converter of some sort to keep the sidemarker from always being illuminated. I see the sidemarkers on several cars that are not factory and I can tell instantly because the light is always on. Only when they signal does it blink. It's a current converter/handler or something that you'll need.:)

I have sidemarkers on my S2000, but they are standard with the car. Luckily they have saved me from large SUV's side swiping me.:( :p

·
Registered
797 Posts
Yeah, I like them too. It is wierd when you see a European Spec Jeep becasue they have them. The US model does not. We could always get the flashing mirrors like the Mercedes.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Why not get the 2000 lights.
At least then they are Honda parts should you ever need to buy a replacement.

·
Registered
113 Posts
BMW X3 Side Signal Marker Lights

Hello, (this is a letter I posted on a BMW forum for help).

I recently purchased some BMW X3 Side Marker Fender Signal Lights. I like the teardrop shape with the clear lens and amber bulb. This is the signal light behind the front wheel but in forward of the front door.
($27 dollars from a local BMW dealer)

I think that these lights are a fine addition for vehicular safety. Lately other automobile manufactures have followed BMW's lead and have started adding these to their vehicular designs.

I want to enjoy a little bit of German Engineering on my wife's 2003 Honda Pilot. I have done many modifications to "spruce up" her ride. Hey if you are going to have a vehicle for 10-15 years (hopefully), you have to enjoy it.
I have installed Hunter Stainless Brushguard, Wildcat Flash SS Side steps, 2006 rear lights, Acura MDX Wheels and Michelin Cross Terrain tires, Factory Hitch, Factory Fogs, third Brake light decal, PIAA P 4000 Fog/Driving lights, and Hopefully BMW X3 Side Signal Lights.

I bought these lights because I like their shape, size, and look over the
2006 lights for the Honda Pilot.

My questions:

1. How would you cut the hole in the fender?
Would you use a dremel and go slowly to reduce the generation of heat
and therefore decrease the possiblity of bubbling in the paint?

2. How would you paint the fender to reduce the possiblity of premature
rusting? I may go as far as installing them and then removing the fender
painting, then using RTV Clear Silicone to seal them to the fender. I can
always get to the bulb through the fender well.

3. I need the exact size of the fender hole for the light on the BMW X3.
Can anyone pop their signal light out and get a picture and a
measurement?

4. Does anyone know where I can get the vehicle pig tail for the lights to
attach to? I called the local dealer and they couldn't dig up the female
plug. (The light assembly has the male socket.)

Thanks for all your help.

Heres the link to the forum with some words of wisdom....

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=519843

What do you guys think 'round these parts? I will post pics of the actual light in the near future.....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I added Side Markers (led) to my 05 EXL. very simple process, about 30 min total I tied into the front turning indicators, there are 3 wires into that connection. Center is ground and one side is parking lights (if you want them to be on with the lights) or blinking with the turn indicators, which is the other side. The ones I bought were already set up with the filtering to keep them from adjusting the timing of my turning indicators.

just query for "side marker" if you want more details

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
wow..this thread has activity on it after 3.5 years :D

·
Registered
916 Posts
We can rename this thread "Back from the Dead" or "Using the search function correctly"

:4:

·
Registered
113 Posts
***BUMP*** NEED IDEAS!

***BUMP***

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
jcantanixon said:
We can rename this thread "Back from the Dead" or "Using the search function correctly"

:4:
You will need permission from Geroge Romero :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts