Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently considering purchasing a Honda Pilot....but am concerned that it doesn't have side curtain airbags for the back passengers.

Anyone know if Honda plans to add this on '04 or later models?
I'm seriously considering the Volvo XC90 b/c it has them.

Thanks for your feedback!

·
Registered
58 Posts
The Pilot doesn't have side curtain airbags in the front either tho it does have side airbags. I think the curtain protects the head more in the event of a rollover. The curtain + rollover stability control in the Volvo caught my eye too. However, I feel very comfortable with the passive protection the Pilot offers to prevent a rollover/accident from ever occuring. The Pilot's wide track is probably greater than the Volvo's. You may want to check that out. Many people say the Volvo's steering is vague. I thought the breaking was too jerky & agressive. It's also $10,000 more for the V6 and they won't be in till august in MPLS. Nonetheless, it is a beautiful car and I doubt anyone would be unhappy with it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
cjs said:

[ S N I P P E D ]

[ S N I P P E D ]

No (official) concrete news about the 2004 or later models for the Pilot -- anything mentioned here would be pure speculation, aka RUMINT...

·
Registered
138 Posts
cjs said:
I'm currently considering purchasing a Honda Pilot....but am concerned that it doesn't have side curtain airbags for the back passengers.

I'm seriously considering the Volvo XC90 b/c it has them.

Thanks for your feedback!
cjs - I know you can't put a price on safety and I think the Volvo is a very nice vehicle. However, I also feel that's all you're really paying for - safety. When you look at many other SUV's in the Volvo's price range then the XC90 falls waaay short far as included features and accessories. Also, most of the articles I've read on the XC90 say the smaller engine doesn't do a good job at pulling the weight of the vehicle.

If you're considering a V6 XC90 then why isn't the MDX on your potential buy list? The MDX has VSC and a few more safety features that the Pilot doesn't have that aid in preventing roll over.

Lastly, side (seat) airbags tend to provide protect no matter what position the seat is in. Side curtain airbags just protect a specific area with no real consideration to seat position.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The Volvo's bumper bash test

This may not affect passenger safety, but is kind of disturbing for a brand known for safety:

"The Institute tested one midsize SUV, Volvo's new XC90. "It was awful," Lund says. "Even in the simplest test, front-into-flat-barrier, the damage extended well beyond the bumper system."

http://www.iihs.org/news_releases/2003/pr031803.htm

I presume it will do well on the other tests but it will be interesting to see.

Still no Pilot tests, but they have done the Element that came out half a year later-makes no sense!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Re: The Volvo's bumper bash test

ShorePilot said:
This may not affect passenger safety, but is kind of disturbing for a brand known for safety:

"The Institute tested one midsize SUV, Volvo's new XC90. "It was awful," Lund says. "Even in the simplest test, front-into-flat-barrier, the damage extended well beyond the bumper system."

http://www.iihs.org/news_releases/2003/pr031803.htm

I presume it will do well on the other tests but it will be interesting to see.

Still no Pilot tests, but they have done the Element that came out half a year later-makes no sense!
That article makes me very skeptical about the XC90 now. How could Volvo pay so much attention to safety when the bumpers are often the first line of safety? That's ridiculous.

·
Registered
725 Posts
PILOT Safety

I don't think the PILOT is any less safe to be in because it doesn't have side curtain airbags.

The PILOT has received a 5-star crash rating both in head on and side-impact collisions, which is pretty impressive.

As for rolling over in a PILOT - with its wide stance, if someone does roll one, they're doing a hell of a more than they should be in the PILOT and probably wouldn't survive - even if they had the SCA's.

That's my $.02!

PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX
Parker, CO

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: PILOT Safety

PILOTinginCO said:

[ S N I P P E D ]

As for rolling over in a PILOT - with its wide stance, if someone does roll one, they're doing a hell of a more than they should be in the PILOT and probably wouldn't survive - even if they had the SCA's.

[ S N I P P E D ]

:2: :2: :2:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
OK, sorry for such stupid questions...

But, what exactly is a side curtain airbags and how does it provide more protection? Can someone please provide me with a link where I can learn more about the different kinds of airbags being offered in cars these days? Thanks.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Honda is introducing a new, rapidly deploying side curtain airbad that protects vehicle occupants from head and neck injuries in the event of side collision. The side curtain airbag deploys over a wide area to protect both front and rear seat occupants, especially from head impacts to the center pillar. The first Honda to be equipped with the new airbag system will be the new 2003 Accord.

The new side curtain airbag is the latest product of Honda's airbag philosophy, developed to effectively protect the heads and necks of occupants with a variety of physiques in a variety of positions in the event of a side collision, without causing any collateral injury. In order to deploy the airbag to cover almost the entire side window surface instantaneously, the airbag is fitted with a low-temperature gas (compressed helium) inflator that achieves a deployment speed of approximately 0.015 sec. This rapid deployment speed allows the bag to be made thicker for more effective impact absorption, reducing the shock to the head area at time of impact.

The system uses five impact sensors located in the middle of the vehicle and beside the left and right front seat occupants, along with sensors positioned next to the rear seat occupants. This permits optimum control over the inflation timing of the side curtain airbag and side airbags, depending on the form of side impact involved.

Honda first began basic airbag research in 1971. In 1987, it was the first Japanese automaker to introduce a driver-side SRS airbag system. Honda independently developed its own airbag technology, including installation positioning, inflator characteristics, bag folding and storage, and various other features. In 1998, the same thinking was further applied to Honda's SRS system, featuring an inflator with a two-stage deployment system depending on the size of the impact, and a side airbag with an occupant posture detection sensor that combined improved occupant protection with reduced risk of collateral injury -- both world firsts.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Howdy,
It is my understanding that the Canadian Pilot has side impact airbags for the front seat. The passenger side is mounted in the seat back and the drivers is in the body of the car.

The Canadians also have heated seats ! Drivers side gets bottom and back where as the passenger side only get the bottom as the back has the air bag!

Finally they also get heated mirrors where as the US models get none of the above.

I just don't get it?!

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Diesel-Lover said:
Howdy,
It is my understanding that the Canadian Pilot has side impact airbags for the front seat. The passenger side is mounted in the seat back and the drivers is in the body of the car.

The Canadians also have heated seats ! Drivers side gets bottom and back where as the passenger side only get the bottom as the back has the air bag!

Finally they also get heated mirrors where as the US models get none of the above.

I just don't get it?!
Sarcasm ON Since the Pilot is built in the Alliston, Ontario assembly plant, the Canadian auto workers slipped a few extras on the Pilots earmarked for their fellow countrymen and said, "Screw it!" for the Pilots destined for the U.S. :eek: Sarcasm OFF

:D :D :D

Real answer: I don't know!!! :8:

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Diesel-Lover said:
Howdy,
It is my understanding that the Canadian Pilot has side impact airbags for the front seat. The passenger side is mounted in the seat back and the drivers is in the body of the car...
Do the Canadian models something different than the side air-bags on the US models?
I know we don't have full, side air-curtains, but we do have the smaller side air-bags which come out of the seat shoulders.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Couple of issues here!!! Curtain airbags are not mainly for roll-over. The high end Accord has them (only the high end - Honda wake up!!!!). How often have you seen an Accord that has rolled over. I still don't know why Honda doesn't offer them even in the MDX. Before anyone brings up the 5 star rating (READ THE FINE PRINT)!!!!! It doesn't cover head injuries!!!! Which is what the Curtain airbags are there for (want brain damage?). I was in a Acura Legend and got hit in the side. My head hit the window, I was lucky to just get some cuts.

I noticed the new Lexus RX330 even has airbags for the driver side knees! Test drove one, sounded terrible!!! Not like a Lexus!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts