Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the navigation be set to show the arrival time instead of time left ? Haven't been able to figure this out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Tapping on the displayed expected arrival time will bring up a display of other trip related values. You can then select one of those values and the selected value will replace the expected arrival time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tapping on the displayed expected arrival time will bring up a display of other trip related values. You can then select one of those values and the selected value will replace the expected arrival time.
This is a 2012, I don't believe you can tap on the screen anywhere.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Got to love those third Gen piloteers .. see with the new Pilot they come with those fancy passenger ejection seats :p

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Can the navigation be set to show the arrival time instead of time left ? Haven't been able to figure this out.
Time to upgrade :)

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Speculation: Traffic monitoring and estimating its effect at the start of the trip are big variables. If I tell you at the beginning of a trip that you'll arrive at a specific time, you'll be disappointed when that doesn't happen. The variability expands with the total trip time/distance.

Meanwhile, the system can continually update the remaining time to destination as it receives updated traffic information. It may not give you an exact answer as you depart, but is more accurate as the trip progresses.

----

I drive to visit my dad in California, at least two or three times a year. When I leave Oregon in the pre-dawn hours, the remaining-time display shows about 12 hours. As I get closer and the afternoon traffic in the Los Angeles basin starts to build, the time to arrive numbers increase accordingly, totaling sometimes 14 hours if I've stopped along the way for much more than gas. The traffic and my stop times get added in, but the car and system have no way to know those factors at the time of departure.

It's really OK to use your good judgement to anticipate the on-the-fly adjustments needed to come up with a realistic arrival time.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Speculation: Traffic monitoring and estimating its effect at the start of the trip are big variables. If I tell you at the beginning of a trip that you'll arrive at a specific time, you'll be disappointed when that doesn't happen. The variability expands with the total trip time/distance.

Meanwhile, the system can continually update the remaining time to destination as it receives updated traffic information. It may not give you an exact answer as you depart, but is more accurate as the trip progresses.

----

I drive to visit my dad in California, at least two or three times a year. When I leave Oregon in the pre-dawn hours, the remaining-time display shows about 12 hours. As I get closer and the afternoon traffic in the Los Angeles basin starts to build, the time to arrive numbers increase accordingly, totaling sometimes 14 hours if I've stopped along the way for much more than gas. The traffic and my stop times get added in, but the car and system have no way to know those factors at the time of departure.

It's really OK to use your good judgement to anticipate the on-the-fly adjustments needed to come up with a realistic arrival time.
Umm, that is all very nice, but nobody here is asking for an accurate up-front prediction. All that is wanted if for the nav system to perform a very tiny bit of simple math:

Current time (already known and being displayed)
+ Estimated time to destination (already calculated and being displayed)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Estimated arrival time (add the above two and show the result)

So the driver does not have to keep doing that math in his head.

The ancient Garmin we been using about 13 years ago did this. Google Maps shows both time left and expected arrival (and updates them as traffic conditions change). Newer Pilot nav system apparently does it, too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Umm, that is all very nice, but nobody here is asking for an accurate up-front prediction. All that is wanted if for the nav system to perform a very tiny bit of simple math:

Current time (already known and being displayed)
+ Estimated time to destination (already calculated and being displayed)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Estimated arrival time (add the above two and show the result)

So the driver does not have to keep doing that math in his head.

The ancient Garmin we been using about 13 years ago did this. Google Maps shows both time left and expected arrival (and updates them as traffic conditions change). Newer Pilot nav system apparently does it, too.
Exactly, this is not a new concept but am guessing it simply wasn't programmed this way back in the day.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Sorry I wasn't clearer --

That capability is not included in the factory nav system used in our generation Pilots.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts