Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my 2006 Pilot (110,000 miles) last March it needed brake pads so I just made the decision to go with new brakes all the way around and start fresh. I have done strictly Honda parts on this rehab but the tech's at my dealership said the Honda brakes aren't that special. So I put on the Power Stop Z17 Evolution 4 Wheel Brake Kit from Auto Anything. 8,000 miles later I can say it was an excellent choice. No brake fade in the mountains, almost no brake dusk and they perform great at bringing nearly two tons to a quick stop.
If anyone is brake shopping I would highly recommend these for about $200.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I totally get you. The Honda OEM brakes are inadequate for the Pilot. First time around I went for the cheapest "economy" pads & rotors at Rockauto, and it was disappointing to find out they didn't really improve bite or stopping power.

2006 HONDA PILOT 3.5L V6 Rotor & Brake Pad Kit | RockAuto

Pilots are big enough to need better brakes. I went with the Centric set with the black e-coating because I hate looking at rust on my rotors after just a few weeks and it's made a world of difference, but I see Power Stops are well appreciated as well.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have powerstop Z36 (drilled/slotted/ceramics/calipers) on my F150 and have not been impressed.... lots of fade when they get warm.

At the end of the day, without changing caliper design, and/or surface area, there is not a lot that can be done. Honda OEM pads are pretty good.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I looked at power stop. I don’t really like to buy parts online. I use Napa for almost everything especially because they always have sales. Their ultra premium pads and rotors are great to me!

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I have powerstop Z36 (drilled/slotted/ceramics/calipers) on my F150 and have not been impressed.... lots of fade when they get warm.
I was considering drilled and/or slotted rotors but concluded to eschew them because of dust and wear issues.

I just don't do that much high performance grocery getting to justify them. :)

·
Registered
1,391 Posts

At the end of the day, without changing caliper design, and/or surface area, there is not a lot that can be done. Honda OEM pads are pretty good.
Honda OEM brakes are notorious (on all vehicles not just the Pilot) for having pad deposits that cause shaking. I have never considered replacing with OEM, even if their performance or dust levels were good because it's annoying to have to re-break in the pads multiple times in their life.

I stick with Centric's premium products and have always been satisfied.

Regarding drilled/slotted rotors: I don't have a ton of experience with them, but any aftermarket replacements we've bought were noisy and produced a ton of dust and had crappy life. My mom's GLC300 has slotted rotors as part of the AMG package and they act just like normal brakes and don't produce a ton of dust... we will see how long they last.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Honda OEM brakes are notorious (on all vehicles not just the Pilot) for having pad deposits that cause shaking. I have never considered replacing with OEM, even if their performance or dust levels were good because it's annoying to have to re-break in the pads multiple times in their life.
It's the Honda rotors that have issues. Honda pads are often made by Akebono. I put Honda OEM pads on quality rotors and have never had an issue but had plenty of shaking OEM rotors.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
It's the Honda rotors that have issues. Honda pads are often made by Akebono. I put Honda OEM pads on quality rotors and have never had an issue but had plenty of shaking OEM rotors.
Thanks for the good info, I never knew which was the culprit and always replaced both. Who manufactures the rotors? Does Akebono do the caliper as well? I can't imagine they'd save much money by having separate manufacturers to that level of detail, rather I'd assume the brake assembly would be one manufacturer. But I'm not in manufacturing and haven't tried to save every possible penny.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts