Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you plan to keep your Pilot, I say yes and yes. If your leasing and getting rid of it, your choice if you want good Karma for next owner. This topic is in multiple threads from towing to maintenance and others.

My 2019 EX-L with 6 speed tranny is 18 months old with 20k on it. It did 2 round trips towing a 2,000 lb load (loaded single axle cargo trailer) 100 miles, about 2 hours each way with at least 4 hours between drives. It has seen multiple longer family trips for Cheer Competitions, ski trips and family visits with 4-6 people in it. You know using your family SUV as it should be.

I just installed the tranny cooler and replaced tranny filter with a Magnefine. I had the dealer do a Drain and Fill so it shows on Honda records as being done. I will do more soon to replace more of the fluid.

This DW-1 Alternatives link is in the previous generation sub-forum.

Not that color is the only indicator and only an oil analysis can tell true condition as compared to new but in my 50 years, dirty black transmission fluid is burnt up, has been overheated and lost many of it's original properties. Unless Honda is adding some additive at factory causing this color and off odor I'd say tranny is getting too hot and fluid needs change more often.

The pictures are what drained as I did the filter into a fresh clean container on left, new Honda DW-1 middle and new Valvoline MaxLife on right which some have used in place due to price and it being full synthetic but has some different viscosity and shift characteristics.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
249 Posts
That DW1 fluid gets burnt really quickly, especially if you don't have a transmission cooler. Heat is the number one killer of transmissions and if you drive in hot weather or tow, get a cooler installed asap.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sad that my 2004 CRV has lines going to the radiator from factory but the 2019 Pilot doesn't. I'm in NY not the hotter parts of the country. 20,000 miles with maximum 12 hours towing time with 2k lbs or less and it's "rated" for 3500lbs. I installed the tranny cooler now, have AWD so should be good for 5,000 lbs now. I'll do more frequent drain and fills and monitor it. Maybe send some used oil analysis in also. If still getting burnt that quick I might upgrade to a Tru Cool 4544 or similar. This is the size of the factory cooler which is not very big but a lot better than the no cooler at all.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The pilot has a "fluid warmer" which is essentially a small cooler but it is not enough. I installed an aftermarket cooler about twice the size of the OEM one which fits nicely in the space in front of the a/c condenser.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pilot has a "fluid warmer" which is essentially a small cooler but it is not enough. I installed an aftermarket cooler about twice the size of the OEM one which fits nicely in the space in front of the a/c condenser.
Brand / mode,l pictures of install if you have would be great. Others might want to get the factory metal lines to route and mount there and then the bigger cooler.

·
Registered
6,490 Posts
Does the cooler you installed have its own fan?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sad that my 2004 CRV has lines going to the radiator from factory but the 2019 Pilot doesn't. I'm in NY not the hotter parts of the country. 20,000 miles with maximum 12 hours towing time with 2k lbs or less and it's "rated" for 3500lbs. I installed the tranny cooler now, have AWD so should be good for 5,000 lbs now. I'll do more frequent drain and fills and monitor it. Maybe send some used oil analysis in also. If still getting burnt that quick I might upgrade to a Tru Cool 4544 or similar. This is the size of the factory cooler which is not very big but a lot better than the no cooler at all.

View attachment 137955
Any more pics or details around your install?

Im going to buy the cooler at the end of the year and would be interested to hear more about your experience.

Thank you

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Thank you for sharing this.

Does anyone think there would be warranty issues using a non-OEM ATF cooler?
As with everything non-OEM installed, the dealer will likely tell you the warranty has been voided but this is within the Magnuson Moss Act IMO.

Reactions: Highspeedbail

·
Registered
249 Posts
Thank you for sharing this.

Does anyone think there would be warranty issues using a non-OEM ATF cooler?
I purchased used with only a year left on the powertrain warranty, so it wasn't a big issue. Obviously if something aftermarket fails and destroys your transmission like a hose, the repairs would be on you. The dealership will try to deny a claim for any reason. Even if you had a factory hitch with no cooler, they would probably try and say that you were towing more than 3500lbs and burnt up your transmission.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any more pics or details around your install?

Im going to buy the cooler at the end of the year and would be interested to hear more about your experience.

Thank you
Sorry no other pics. Tried to get it done as it took longer and was supposed to rain. Mine was sloppy as I have fluid film (oily undercoat) that covers everything. I ended up removing the battery and tray so I knew the top clamp at tranny was on correct. I didn't feel comfortable trying to clamp what I couldn't see. On a lift maybe a lot easier. On ramps in my driveway not as much. I've done a lot of projects and wrenching, for me this might have been worth having somebody do just for the headaches and time constraint with no garage.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
My 2 pics of OEM install. 2017 6-speed.
I haven't done any towing in the heat, but I have been monitoring my ATF temp this summer and it has not exceeded 180°F, so I feel reassured that the OEM cooler is doing the job. There is no doubt in my mind that DW-1 is incapable of protecting my transmission under normal operating conditions, much less under a load. I'm sure the excess clutch material do to slipping isn't helping. If your towing with an operable VCM, it's transmission suicide.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hope you Piloteers don't mind if I contribute to this tranny cooler thread as I have a '17 G2 FWD Ridgeline. Bought it 3 1/2 months ago. The FWD Rigi has no tranny cooler, so I thought I would install an aftermarket cooler myself. I did the install from the top.....no grill/bumper removal except for the upper chrome part of the grill, I removed it. I also removed the two black plastic pieces above the radiator along with the two top radiator hold downs.

Prior to the cooler install, I was seeing 200F+ TFT and saw a 211F peak.....short trips, around town driving, not towing. Completed the install about 2 weeks ago now and in triple digit ambient temps, I've seen a peak of 171F. Again short trips, around town driving, not towing and todays ambient temp was 109F. :eek: Works great and almost looks factory, IMO. Tru-Cool #49211.

I fashioned brackets out 3/4" flat bar, bolted the brackets to the large aluminum bumper thing, ran the hoses (using two 3/8" 90 degree hose barbs) around the condenser/radiator to the tranny. Removing the battery and it's box (thanks Daytripper64) made hose connections at the tranny and filter a breeze.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Hope you Piloteers don't mind if I contribute to this tranny cooler thread as I have a '17 G2 FWD Ridgeline. Bought it 3 1/2 months ago. The FWD Rigi has no tranny cooler, so I thought I would install an aftermarket cooler myself. I did the install from the top.....no grill/bumper removal except for the upper chrome part of the grill, I removed it. I also removed the two black plastic pieces above the radiator along with the two top radiator hold downs.

Prior to the cooler install, I was seeing 200F+ TFT and saw a 211F peak.....short trips, around town driving, not towing. Completed the install about 2 weeks ago now and in triple digit ambient temps, I've seen a peak of 171F. Again short trips, around town driving, not towing and todays ambient temp was 109F. :eek: Works great and almost looks factory, IMO. Tru-Cool #49211. I fashioned brackets out 3/4" flat bar, bolted to the large aluminum bumper thing, ran the hoses (using two 3/8" 90 degree hose barbs) around the condenser/radiator to the tranny.
Still running DW-1 I assume?

·
Registered
6,490 Posts
My 2 pics of OEM install. 2017 6-speed.
I haven't done any towing in the heat, but I have been monitoring my ATF temp this summer and it has not exceeded 180°F, so I feel reassured that the OEM cooler is doing the job. There is no doubt in my mind that DW-1 is incapable of protecting my transmission under normal operating conditions, much less under a load.
How much ATF did you have to add after installing the extra cooler.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Still running DW-1 I assume?
Our Rigi only has 9K miles so I'm presuming it's probably still the factory fill of DW-1. Think I will do a d&f with MaxLife when the weather cools off a little. 4 ozs of fluid added after the install brought the fluid level back to where it was.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
How much ATF did you have to add after installing the extra cooler.
I'd start with .3, I was told a 1/2 qt for a factory cooler by the parts dept. I felt that I was over filled a little. A Derale cooler would obviously be more.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts