Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Should we buy new or used (we are thinking new elite)

8K views 77 replies 24 participants last post by  Radioguru 
#1 ·
Just thought I would ask for any opinions here, although I think we are deciding to buy a new one. We are looking at an Elite OTD (with a high state auto tax) with towing package/cooler installed at around 51k. (gulp) But there aren't too many used Elite's right now for too much less and the 2019/2020 seem to have major infotainment issues and prior to 2019 there's no knob. I think if we bought used though, I would look at 2018 or 2017 Elite. Trying to buy today!

#5 ·
Like @Rocky said, with the way used car pricing is right now I'd probably look new.

Reactions: bluelight
#17 ·
The 9-speed appears to be doing well now, after some troubles early on. My big gripe would be the VCM and the idle stop/start feature. I'd have an S-VCM disabling device on the way, and I would either get used to pressing the button to turn the idle stop/start off or permanently disable it. I don't want my vehicle turning off every time I stop.

#28 ·
Of course, my suggestion of using S-VCM is my personal opinion. There are those running their Pilots without. If you have no intention of keeping the vehicle after the warranty is gone then it might not be a big deal to you.

#29 · (Edited)
New or used? A lot depends on the type of car person(s) you are. If you are the kind of person that trades vehicles every two or three years I would go used. There is an old saying that when you buy a used car you are buying someone else's trouble. That is obviously not the case all of the time, but look around this forum and other auto forums and you will find a lot of posts about issues discovered after purchasing a used vehicle. If you are an avid and skilled DIY'er then that can help if you run into issues.

If however you generally keep cars around for 7 years or more then I would go new. Most vehicles come with 3 year bumper to bumper warranties and and with an added extended warranty you should be covered for at least 7 years. Also, if you are conscientious about vehicle maintenance doing it on time every time you greatly mitigate potential mechanical issues. Your driving habits will also contribute to the vehicle longevity.

Personally the wife and I generally keep our vehicles for 10 years and buy new. Every five years one of us gets a new vehicle. They are well maintained. The biggest issue we have had since going to this several years ago was the wife being hit in her Rav 4. Out of service for a week getting repaired but that was neither her nor the Rav's fault.

As for a Pilot or not, even though I loved my 2013 Pilot Touring and love my 2020 Passport Touring I would suggest that you first make a list of the things that are needs/must haves, then a list of the wants/likes.

From there shop all of the various 3 row vehicles out there both Foreign and Domestic made. Find the vehicle(s) that that check off the most items and narrow your search down from there. Sort through the short list and pick the vehicle that suits you the best.

Every car on the market has their quirks. For me the Auto Idle Stop is a non issue. There is a AIS disengage button on the shifter panel. Every time I start the car when I reach for the shifter to put the vehicle into gear I disengage the AIS. It quickly becomes a habit.

Good luck on your search.

#36 ·
The Ascent uses a 4 cylinder engine coupled to a CVT! That was the reason I didn't even consider one along with the reliability issues I read about when comparing the Pilot against other brands.

#40 ·
With current used prices, you may want to go new, unless you get a great deal on a used one with service records. These cars are not cheap and the more expensive used cars get, honestly makes me just want to go new.

Personally, I think the AWD Touring package is the best value. Unless you really want the Panoramic roof or cooled seats, the Touring is just a step below the Elite. There are some other minor things like speakers, etc.

#41 ·
HI everyone. Your comments and thoughts have been so helpful. We actually bought an Elite today. I am in shock and trying not to feel guilty for indulging. It has been a hard year and we are a family of four who have been displaced somewhat and will need to do at least one round trip across the country this summer, maybe more next year. They took about 4500 off MSRP and gave us $2k more than I was expecting (looked at KBB) for the trade in. It is really nice and has so many features, we are coming from a 2013 Outback with no back up camera, cloth seats, etc. I loved that car too, but it couldn't tow the camper and we also were feeling ready for more space. I will probably be back on here with questions...like has anyone put a CD in the BlueRay player?

#44 ·
Congrats! Post up some pics, I never get tired of seeing shiny new pilots!

#47 ·
Looks great! Love the color with the wheels and Elite level trim. Enjoy your new Pilot!

#56 ·
I know it’s after the fact, I am probably just looking for encouragement...because I am having a feeling like we were indulgent to get the Elite. We were going to get the Touring, but my husband drove and loved the Elite and I of course did too. We had been looking at Ascent or Atlas prior and both of them had the pano moonroof so I think we were so amazed by the light and spaciousness that brought in, the one sunroof in the Touring felt small in comparison. We don’t have tons of money and our Outback didn’t have leather, or a backup camera, or sunroof. So what we have now seems so fancy and I feel nervous we should have just gotten the EXL or Touring. Anyway I am going to get over it and enjoy what we have. It is an incredible car and having the additional moonroof for the kids and the dvd is going to be so nice for them (and then us too). Anyone have something similar they’ve gone through? It was such a big purchase. We’d been researching for months going back and forth between used and the other brands, new, etc. at some point we just needed to make a decision. We are going to be driving across the country couple times and are in between homes/states/jobs. Somehow having such a capable car helps me feel like we can go anywhere easier with the kids.

#58 ·
you guys made the choice, no time for buyers remorse. Assuming you guys can financially afford it, enjoy it and have no regrets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.