Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would ask for any opinions here, although I think we are deciding to buy a new one. We are looking at an Elite OTD (with a high state auto tax) with towing package/cooler installed at around 51k. (gulp) But there aren't too many used Elite's right now for too much less and the 2019/2020 seem to have major infotainment issues and prior to 2019 there's no knob. I think if we bought used though, I would look at 2018 or 2017 Elite. Trying to buy today!

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
What ever you decide, just make sure to purchase a "Honda Care" extended warranty. No dealership aftermarket knock off waranties.
A Honda Care warranty can often be purchased online for less.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Like @Rocky said, with the way used car pricing is right now I'd probably look new.

Reactions: bluelight

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have a 2017 and I survived the no-knob catastrophe… I use the steering wheel buttons anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
same! Defiantly overblown by car reviews imo. Same with the push button transmission. An owner gets used to things pretty quickly in day to day use vs a few hours a reviewer might have.

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
Just thought I would ask for any opinions here, although I think we are deciding to buy a new one. We are looking at an Elite OTD (with a high state auto tax) with towing package/cooler installed at around 51k. (gulp)
Have you looked at an Acura MDX?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you looked at an Acura MDX?
Hi, no I haven't yet. But we are a family of 4 that sometimes might want room for a friend/grandparent, etc. Does it have 3 rows, and as much space as the Pilot? We also need it to pull up to 5k towing for a small camper we have.

·
Registered
443 Posts
But new and get HondaCare from an online warranty retailer like Saccucci Honda. Your local dealer sells them way above cost and unless you're in Florida you can get the same official Honda warranty much cheaper from a different dealer.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Hi, no I haven't yet. But we are a family of 4 that sometimes might want room for a friend/grandparent, etc. Does it have 3 rows, and as much space as the Pilot? We also need it to pull up to 5k towing for a small camper we have.
The MDX is very similar to the Pilot, but slightly shorter. I can't confirm the most recent tow ratings but it should be similar to the Pilot.

Regarding your trailer, what is the GVWR for it? If it's on the heavier and longer end the Pilot may not be the best tow vehicle for it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The MDX is very similar to the Pilot, but slightly shorter. I can't confirm the most recent tow ratings but it should be similar to the Pilot.

Regarding your trailer, what is the GVWR for it? If it's on the heavier and longer end the Pilot may not be the best tow vehicle for it.
Hi, thanks. The trailer is around 2k dry and 17' long with the hitch area, 14' long for camping area.

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
Reactions: bluelight

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is really helpful to read all these comments. Should we be concerned about safety/9 speed transmission? The other car that we were almost buying (that we flip back and forth with) is a Subaru Ascent. We currently have an Outback.

·
Registered
238 Posts
You will want to compare the market price for a "newer" used car and a new one before making that decision. When I bough my 2019 Pilot, a used one from Carmax was MORE expensive than a spanking new one from dealer (after negotiation).

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
It is really helpful to read all these comments. Should we be concerned about safety/9 speed transmission? The other car that we were almost buying (that we flip back and forth with) is a Subaru Ascent. We currently have an Outback.
The 9-speed appears to be doing well now, after some troubles early on. My big gripe would be the VCM and the idle stop/start feature. I'd have an S-VCM disabling device on the way, and I would either get used to pressing the button to turn the idle stop/start off or permanently disable it. I don't want my vehicle turning off every time I stop.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
Hi, thanks. The trailer is around 2k dry and 17' long with the hitch area, 14' long for camping area.
That weight- NO problem. If it's not a pop up, you'll have lots more wind resistance though. Still, won't be a towing problem IMHO.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The 9-speed appears to be doing well now, after some troubles early on. My big gripe would be the VCM and the idle stop/start feature. I'd have an S-VCM disabling device on the way, and I would either get used to pressing the button to turn the idle stop/start off or permanently disable it. I don't want my vehicle turning off every time I stop.
Oh, it starts and stops every time you stop the car? I don't know about VCM - what it is and why it isn't good.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts