Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up a used 2017 Honda Pilot touring with 26,000 KMS. Truck was never registered (general manager dealer demo) so I am the first owner, but the warranty started June 2017. They have offered me the Honda Plus. Is it worth getting it? They would give me 10% off the priced below
4 Years/80,000 kms $948
5 Years/100,000 kms $1408
6 Years/100,000 kms $1738
6 Years/160,000 kms $2488

Thanks

·
Registered
232 Posts
Picking up a used 2017 Honda Pilot touring with 26,000 KMS. Truck was never registered (general manager dealer demo) so I am the first owner, but the warranty started June 2017. They have offered me the Honda Plus. Is it worth getting it? They would give me 10% off the priced below
4 Years/80,000 kms $948

Thanks

Thats BS, if the Pilot was never registered it never had a title. From what I understand at least it PA the warranty does not start until its titled.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I would buy it if it's a genuine Honda warranty, not a dealer warranty. You don't know how it was driven nefore you, and don't take any chances, one sizable repair would cost almost the price of your warranty quote.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Actually One would assume that this a Manufacture warranty this has nothing to do with a title being issued . The manufacture warranty starts the moment its actually on the delivery truck to the Dealership. Look at how long you are planning to keep your ride then make your choice from there.

Put it this way my 2015 EXL same situation I purchased a demo ..now my engine is giving serious issues so if an engine is deemed needed to be replaced that warranty is covering my ass only at 67k ! I have a 100 deductable ...so IF NEEDED I'm getting a new installed engine from the dealership (as they claim) for a 100 bones...

·
Registered
158 Posts
With all the electronic systems in these vehicles, I decided to purchase the Honda Care Extended Warranty. I also bought from Hyannis Honda and got a 8 year, 120k mile for $1335.

I normally have never bought an extended warranty, but since we plan on keeping this for a longer period of time, felt is was well worth the cost. One big ticket item, such as the radio/ display system, or ABS system, any of the collision warning devices could easily exceed the cost of this for just 1 event.

I also bought an extended GM Warranty for our 2017 Corvette Grand Sport for all of the above same reasons.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Actually One would assume that this a Manufacture warranty this has nothing to do with a title being issued . The manufacture warranty starts the moment its actually on the delivery truck to the Dealership. Look at how long you are planning to keep your ride then make your choice from there.

Put it this way my 2015 EXL same situation I purchased a demo ..now my engine is giving serious issues so if an engine is deemed needed to be replaced that warranty is covering my ass only at 67k ! I have a 100 deductable ...so IF NEEDED I'm getting a new installed engine from the dealership (as they claim) for a 100 bones...
I'm not 100% correct but I don't think your statement on when the warranty starts is correct. A car or truck can sit at a dealer for months even years before its sold. Once it's sold and titled that is when the warranty starts. A bought a "leftover" Saab 9-3 in Mid 2009, the dealer had the car for 15 months, it only had 23 miles on it. The 3 year 36K mile warranty started the day I signed the paperwork

·
Registered
57 Posts
My wife gifted me the Honda 100,000 warranty when I bought my 2012. Turned out to be the best gift ever.

Both front axles had a bad bearing at just over 80,000 miles and after that the tensioner pulley went bad had to be done, the dealer offered me the whole drive belt, pulley and water pump for the cost of parts only, something like $440. I was like HECK YA!!

In my case, the warranty paid for itself.

·
Registered
29 Posts
4 Years/80,000 kms $948
Thanks
Buy the 6 year 160k negotiate it to like $1700. It will be worth it. My tpms antenna went out it was about $800 had the car for 3 years now and 87k miles on it. Also had some suspension problems which was covered under warranty.

·
Registered
102 Posts

I’ve purchased many many cars and never once has anyone said, “Ok...the car got here 9 months ago so lets see your bumper-to-bumper which started at 36mo/36,000miles is now 27mo/36000 miles.

Now there are certain instances when a dealership can designate a car as being “In-service” (demos and they can elect to mark untitled cars as “sold” to take advantage of limited manufacture incentive windows) which may trigger the start of the warranty but these cars and are few and far between and it has nothing to do with the day it’s put on the truck.

Everyone who buys are car should ask when the warranty starts!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I didn't get the extended warranty, they would not budge on the price and the only one that makes sense is 6 years 160,000 kms and I wasn't going to spend $2800 (tax in) I guess I will just hope for the best!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Well, I didn't get the extended warranty, they would not budge on the price and the only one that makes sense is 6 years 160,000 kms and I wasn't going to spend $2800 (tax in) I guess I will just hope for the best!
At the end of the day Congrats on your ride!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Has anyone done a comparison of the warranties offered by the dealership and the one offered by Hyannis? Wondering if there's anything significant that the Hyannis one doesn't cover.

·
Registered
976 Posts
The thing about the extended warranty is that, in my experience, there is no where to find what is covered and what is not. I have the Honda extended warranty, given by Honda at time of purchase, when you need to use it, you have to be willing to pay a dealer estimate fees before they can tell you whether it's covered or not. I emailed Honda Canada about this, there was no reply. As a result, I paid close $70.00 for the dealer to "fix" the idle stop. I was told they charged up the battery. It worked the day, and the next day, then not working anymore. If I bring it back to them, pretty sure they will charge me for a new battery, since that's what they claimed the fault was.

Good thing is that I didn't pay out of pocket for that extended warranty, it now seems kind of useless to me.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The thing about the extended warranty is that, in my experience, there is no where to find what is covered and what is not. I have the Honda extended warranty, given by Honda at time of purchase, when you need to use it, you have to be willing to pay a dealer estimate fees before they can tell you whether it's covered or not. I emailed Honda Canada about this, there was no reply. As a result, I paid close $70.00 for the dealer to "fix" the idle stop. I was told they charged up the battery. It worked the day, and the next day, then not working anymore. If I bring it back to them, pretty sure they will charge me for a new battery, since that's what they claimed the fault was.

Good thing is that I didn't pay out of pocket for that extended warranty, it now seems kind of useless to me.
Not sure about coverage in Canada, but here is a good source to see what isn't covered. The warranty says the only things not covered are what are specifically stated in the disclosure. Note that not all of the items that would be covered are shown as that would almost be impossible, that's why they say the only things not covered are what are shown at the bottom of that page.

The battery is one item not covered by the warranty but should be under the 3 year 36000 mile warranty. Unfortunately an undercharged battery will prevent the idle stop from working as stated in the owner's manual, along with a list of many other items.

My dealer had charged my battery for free within the first month of purchasing at the end of February because the idle stop didn't work on mine. About a week later it stopped working again, and the dealer replaced the battery under warranty.

What is not covered by Honda Care & what is covered.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts