Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have a 2020 Pilot touring in platinum white pearl. I was thinking about purchasing the Turtle Wax Ceramic polish and wax, but I've read on many places that Honda's have very thin clear coat, especially in white. Since the polish is going to take off a small amount of the clear, should I go ahead with it? I'm thinking of keeping the car for as long as I can so 10+ years, so I want to keep the paint in good condition as long as I can. Also, I'm thinking of purchasing the Turtle Wax ceramic spray, so will the polish help the spray stick to the paint better?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Apparently Turtle Wax is making some pretty awesome products recently, Seal n Shine is gaining a cult following as being the best from them.

I don't know how you are going to remove swirl marks and marring without polishing, not sure how to advise you on that one. I've never seen anything about Honda having thin clear but I may not know better than the person who posted that somewhere else. If you are that concerned consider getting it clear wrapped or professionally coated so you have years of coverage that you can refresh with a Seal n Shine.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to keep the price <$100 so that's why I'm not getting it professionally done. If you search it up, there's lots of forums about how Honda has thin clear coat/ paint.
Apparently Turtle Wax is making some pretty awesome products recently, Seal n Shine is gaining a cult following as being the best from them.

I don't know how you are going to remove swirl marks and marring without polishing, not sure how to advise you on that one. I've never seen anything about Honda having thin clear but I may not know better than the person who posted that somewhere else. If you are that concerned consider getting it clear wrapped or professionally coated so you have years of coverage that you can refresh with a Seal n Shine.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I want to keep the price <$100 so that's why I'm not getting it professionally done. If you search it up, there's lots of forums about how Honda has thin clear coat/ paint.
I've been polishing Hondas since well before I started driving over 20 years ago. I've never used a heavy cutting polish or really aggressive pads. I have also never used anything other than my DA or by hand, no rotary. I've never had any failure so I will continue as I always have.

My go to setup is:
-Griots Garage DA
-Griots Orang polishing pad
-Meguiars Ultimate Compound

Reactions: zmarke01

·
Registered
519 Posts
Reactions: cintocrunch

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Polish is fine for removing stubborn spots in a vehicle with some age on it. But for a new 2020, just a good wax is all that is needed.

Been using this for the last 3 years on both of mine with excellent results.

Another +1 for Collinite 845. It's not very forgiving if you go too heavy or it's humid when you apply it but when used properly the combination of Optimum Opti-Seal cured for 12 hours and topped with Collinite 845 gives me 6+ months of protection on vehicles that sit outside.

But I do watch detailing videos and Seal n Shine it getting some incredible reviews.

Reactions: MtMan

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Thinking more on this, on a white vehicle I'd look to use a fallout remover like Iron-X to get the industrial particles pulled out of the paint then seal it.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Polish is fine for removing stubborn spots in a vehicle with some age on it. But for a new 2020, just a good wax is all that is needed.

Been using this for the last 3 years on both of mine with excellent results.

I'm going to polish the car later on, but I was just wondering if it's even worth getting it.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been polishing Hondas since well before I started driving over 20 years ago. I've never used a heavy cutting polish or really aggressive pads. I have also never used anything other than my DA or by hand, no rotary. I've never had any failure so I will continue as I always have.

My go to setup is:
-Griots Garage DA
-Griots Orang polishing pad
-Meguiars Ultimate Compound
If I do polish it, It's going to be hand polished because I don't have a rotary tool :(. I'm also going to use the turtle wax polish above because I've heard that it isn't too abrasive.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
If I do polish it, It's going to be hand polished because I don't have a rotary tool :(. I'm also going to use the turtle wax polish above because I've heard that it isn't too abrasive.
Sounds like a good plan. Post up some pics!

·
Registered
576 Posts
If I do polish it, It's going to be hand polished because I don't have a rotary tool :(.
Bad idea. Get a random-orbital (DA) tool and some decent pads.

Manual application of a quality product to an expensive vehicle is a waste of effort, time and money. Even if you have plenty of those, a basic tool will give you better results, regardless of the product you choose.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've never heard of a thin clearcoat on a Honda, but I don't yet own anything newer than a couple of 2009 CR-Vs. I tend to use Meguiar's 205 to clear up the paint before applying wax. And I do use an orbital buffer myself, although I have years of experience with a traditional rotary polisher (which I gladly gave up for orbital).

Not sure about the ceramic coatings yet, but am looking at a ceramic product that is made to be wiped on and polished off.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I got mine ceramic coated from the dealer and it cleans up well and keeps a nice shine. The ceramic coating on my other car needed touched up so I applied Duragloss Enviroshield this weekend (probably enough for two coats on the pilot). It went on easily for a three year old car. Supposed to last two years. I watched Pan the organizer on youtube to learn the process. If yours is a 2020, you should put on a good ceramic coating. Similar process as waxing, itll just last longer and be easier to clean. I also got my precut front ppf kit for the Pilot and will be putting it on soon. Loved bugs are merciless in Florida

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you do go the route of ceramic coating, make sure to prep the paint properly (wash, clay bar if needed, polish, etc) as it will make a nice difference.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
592 Posts
I got mine ceramic coated from the dealer and it cleans up well and keeps a nice shine. The ceramic coating on my other car needed touched up so I applied Duragloss Enviroshield this weekend (probably enough for two coats on the pilot). It went on easily for a three year old car. Supposed to last two years. I watched Pan the organizer on youtube to learn the process. If yours is a 2020, you should put on a good ceramic coating. Similar process as waxing, itll just last longer and be easier to clean. I also got my precut front ppf kit for the Pilot and will be putting it on soon. Loved bugs are merciless in Florida

Precut ppf kit???

·
Registered
433 Posts
3m pro paint protection film (clear bra). The ceramic coating is great for making the car easier to clean and adding some paint strength/protection. The clear bra is much better for protection against rock chips and bug damage. I'm just doing the front. Kit was around 280.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have only used a quick wax spray on my 2017 Pilot and it still looks like new and beads water like crazy. It lasts about 2 months but is super easy and quick to do. Until I see signs of aging paint/fading, that is all I am going to use.Mine has set outside for 3 years now while I am at work 5 days a week in Florida. I used turtle wax/polish on my old Sequoia and The clearcoat started to give up after only 5-6 years. Not going that same rout with this new Pilot.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I have only used a quick wax spray on my 2017 Pilot and it still looks like new and beads water like crazy. It lasts about 2 months but is super easy and quick to do. Until I see signs of aging paint/fading, that is all I am going to use.Mine has set outside for 3 years now while I am at work 5 days a week in Florida. I used turtle wax/polish on my old Sequoia and The clearcoat started to give up after only 5-6 years. Not going that same rout with this new Pilot.
Brand? Exact product since most brands have 4 or 5 spray waxes.

·
Registered
433 Posts
YouTube has a bunch of comparisons. Meguairs always does well. Chemical guys is getting popular. I use their v07 and like it. Ceramics/si02 sprays are getting popular. Mostly its brand preference unless you watch the comparisons.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
YouTube has a bunch of comparisons. Meguairs always does well. Chemical guys is getting popular. I use their v07 and like it. Ceramics/si02 sprays are getting popular. Mostly its brand preference unless you watch the comparisons.
I've watched plenty of the videos since I subscribe to some of them (Jimbo and Apex Detail). I was looking for some real world experience since the torture tests are great but still aren't real world. Also the guy from Apex Detail HATES Opti-Seal and it's beloved in the detailing forums and my personal experiences have been awesome, so I take anything they say with a grain of salt as always.

Reactions: skadoo323
1 - 20 of 29 Posts