Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2003 EX-L
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went to a firestone for an inspection, and it came back needing new tie rod ends, CV boots/joints, struts, and shocks along with a few other minor things that are inexpensive. I wouldn’t make the repairs myself, but have a reasonably priced mechanic who has taken care of repairs in the past. I got this car a couple years ago for cheap and I absolutely love it, but my budget isnt huge so I’m wondering if I should invest in what I have or look for another pilot. Thanks!

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,845 Posts
What's your mechanic say? That would be a good place to start. If they think the motor, & tranny are still good then it could be a good investment. If they for see issues, due to what they find then that's another matter.

·
Registered
2003 EX-L
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's your mechanic say? That would be a good place to start. If they think the motor, & tranny are still good then it could be a good investment. If they for see issues, due to what they find then that's another matter.
Firestone didn’t say, but I’m taking it to my mechanic tomorrow to see what they can do. Are there any other big questions I should be asking?

·
Administrator
4,845 Posts
I would ask your mechanic, not Firestone, to check it over like you were looking to buy it. It may cost you a few dollars, ask before you have them do it to find out how much. Explain that you are trying to decide whether it is worth doing the front end work or not and don't want to throw good money after bad if there are any serious issues besides the identified front end work. A good mechanic will give the vehicle a good going over and let you know if they see any issues at this point.

It's never easy when to decide to quit putting money into an older high millage vehicle, which is where having a good, trusted mechanic comes into play. Owning an older high milage vehicle is like owing a senior pet. It's hard to decide when it is time to put them down.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
First Never trust Firestone ..they are trained to rip customers off! ... See what your mechanic says... it will cost you way more in buying another pilot vs what you need to fix.

Also if they state you needed all these repairs they must have failed your inspection ... If they still passed you then they are trying to rip you off.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I would ask your mechanic, not Firestone, to check it over like you were looking to buy it. It may cost you a few dollars, ask before you have them do it to find out how much. Explain that you are trying to decide whether it is worth doing the front end work or not and don't want to throw good money after bad if there are any serious issues besides the identified front end work. A good mechanic will give the vehicle a good going over and let you know if they see any issues at this point.

It's never easy when to decide to quit putting money into an older high millage vehicle, which is where having a good, trusted mechanic comes into play. Owning an older high milage vehicle is like owing a senior pet. It's hard to decide when it is time to put them down.
The Gen 1's are built 120% better than the crap they have for Pilots these days ..

·
Administrator
4,845 Posts
True, but wear and tear is wear and tear. The only way to truly know is to have it looked at by good mechanic if a person doesn't have the expertise themselves.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I just went to a firestone for an inspection, and it came back needing new tie rod ends, CV boots/joints, struts, and shocks along with a few other minor things that are inexpensive. I wouldn’t make the repairs myself, but have a reasonably priced mechanic who has taken care of repairs in the past. I got this car a couple years ago for cheap and I absolutely love it, but my budget isnt huge so I’m wondering if I should invest in what I have or look for another pilot. Thanks!
Where do you live? If this is a road salt Pilot, then I would say no, don't put a lot of money into the suspension. The unit body is likely to be rusted, and probably has a short life left. If this is a warm weather/no salt Pilot, then feel free to invest a moderate amount on repairs.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,569 Posts
Keep in mind putting this kind of money into that old of a car could be cheaper than a new car, but if the car were to get totaled the next day insurance doesn’t care what repairs were just made. So you’re out however much money AND you only get a couple thousand for it.

Newer Pilots are nice and of course there are other alternative SUVs. I like to keep cars a long time and mileage doesn’t really mean much to me— meaning I don’t doubt the reliability a car just because it has 250k miles. However there does come a point where I just get sick of the car and I’m ready for an upgrade.
And of course if my budget wasn’t huge, I’d skip on most if not all of those repairs depending on how bad they were. You could still drive another 10,000 miles potentially and not have a problem.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Of the stuff you listed about the only thing I would do ( assuming they are bad) is replace the tie rod ends If money is tight. As Jack said you could probably get a lot more miles out of it without fixing the other stuff. But see what the other mechanic says.

Like someone once told me, driving an old car is cheaper than a car payment.

·
Registered
2003 EX-L
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

thanks for the advice, really appreciate it. I’ll have my mechanic take a better look and with their recommendation.

·
Registered
2003 EX-L
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got some great replies, I’m gonna take it to my mechanic for a closer look and see if they think it’s worth putting the money into. Thanks for the help, if anyone is interested I’ll put up my results after I hear back.

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
I just went to a firestone for an inspection, and it came back needing new tie rod ends, CV boots/joints, struts, and shocks along with a few other minor things that are inexpensive. I wouldn’t make the repairs myself, but have a reasonably priced mechanic who has taken care of repairs in the past.
Are you noticing either any problems with the way your Pilot drives/rides/handles or any unusual tire wear?
If not, then the suspension components may not need immediate attention.
If the CV joint boots are torn, then the grease will get out and water and dirt will get in causing the joints to fail.
Have your "reasonably priced mechanic" evaluate them.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,194 Posts
I just went to a firestone for an inspection
Shake My Head. This deserved the full phrase, not just the SMH internet shortcut acronym.

Looking forward to hearing what your mechanic says.

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
Shake My Head. This deserved the full phrase, not just the SMH internet shortcut acronym.
Certain (US) states require a periodic safety/mechanical inspection.
Get A State Vehicle Inspection | Firestone Complete Auto Care

If you have the option, for that inspection, you might be better off going to a new car dealer that does not sell (or typically work on) Hondas - rather than a repair shop that works on "all makes and models" - since they might be less motivated to find things that need repair, given that they likely won't be doing the work.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Also take into consideration when a new timing belt will be needEd along with other maintenance. Has the required maintenance been done (plugs, transmission, differential), or are there other potential problems in your future? Those things are not cheap and should be part of your decision making process.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I just went to a firestone for an inspection, and it came back needing new tie rod ends, CV boots/joints, struts, and shocks along with a few other minor things that are inexpensive. I wouldn’t make the repairs myself...
OK, I'm not going to argue that trusting a Firestone "inspection" is a good plan, but realistically, all that stuff is probably shot on a 250k car, even if those are kilometers.

It's the "wouldn't make the repairs myself" part that gives me pause. Keeping old Pilots going is not cheap if you're paying someone else to do the work. If you're not open to learning to do some of the simple stuff (like everything mentioned above), I recommend selling it while it's worth something and getting something newer.

Option B is just drive it into the ground and walk away when it dies. A good mechanic can keep it on life support for a long time without spending a lot of money.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not sure I would trust Firestone for anything anymore. They told me the CV axle on my CRV needed to be replaced and showed me where the boot had been leaking on it. Decided to repair it myself after seeing how easy it was on a Youtube video. Long story short, the "leak" they showed me was actually oil from the oil filter change, boot was perfectly fine. In another instance, after an oil change I just happened to find where someone had shot groups of 1/4" crown staples into the grooves of one of my tires, in several places. None to be found anywhere on the surface of the tire itself, just down in the grooves. Strangely enough, got a call from them about a week later reminding me I hadn't purchased any tires from them lately! Fortunately I've now found an independent repair shop that I can truly trust for my more difficult repairs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts