Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to get some input from those of you that have them. They really look nice but do they make a big difference from a lighting persepective?

Whats better? Fogs alone or combined with lower trim?

Has anyone attempted this install or have you all gone to the dealer?

I am trying to decide on everything I might want to do before I start or let someone else start ripping the car apart (seems to amke sense if I wanted chrome, lower trim and fogs to do it all at once)

Thoughts?

Jason

·
Registered
509 Posts
livemusicfan said:
I wanted to get some input from those of you that have them. They really look nice but do they make a big difference from a lighting persepective?

Whats better? Fogs alone or combined with lower trim?

Has anyone attempted this install or have you all gone to the dealer?

I am trying to decide on everything I might want to do before I start or let someone else start ripping the car apart (seems to amke sense if I wanted chrome, lower trim and fogs to do it all at once)

Thoughts?

Jason
Hey Jason, for what its worth, Mrs. SoapPlant and myself are very happy with our decision to purchase the Honda fog lights. Had a chance to test them out on some of the country roads in NE PA, and we think they made a significant improvement in the lighting, filling in the area between between where the low beams drop off and the road. I also especially noticed a good improvement in lighting to the sides - helpful for seeing animals and the like off the side of the road.

This was our first vehicle with fog lights, and based on advice from my dad, who has owned Jeep Grand Cherokees for the past couple of years, he's said that he'll never buy another vehicle without them, and I tend to agree now that I have them too. He has his set to turn on everytime he turns on his headlights, but I've only been using them as needed. Anxious to see how they do in heavy fog situtuations.

There's been lots of people who said they didn't like the raised looks of the fogs w/o lower trim, but I think I actually kind of like them that way. They kind of grow on you after a while. With the lower trim, they have more of a recessed look. I guess the decision to go with lower trim would be based on what you're trying to accomplish - if you like the looks, or you do some offroading and want to protect the front of your Pilot.

We decided to just let the dealer do the install for us - something like 20 pages of instructions, and I had no desire to be cutting any holes in our new Pilot. I think it was money well spent. I like working on my cars, but I think this one was probably a little too much. I know there's others in the group who have done their own fogs, but my recommendation would be to pay the dealer to do it for you.

Good luck!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SoapPlant
Thanks for the info! - your Pilot looks great by the way! It was your pictures that started me going back and forth on the lower trim or not.

I need to start taking some pictures of my new toy once I start having some fun with accessories.

Thanks again for sharing.

- Jason

·
Registered
797 Posts
Wish they were a standard feature on an EX! Since they are not, I probably will not add them. Added some PIAA lights to my Jeep back in 1997 and that was a chore to get it all wired. They worked great and filled in below the low beams.

In Germany, it is illegal to drive with them like I did in the States. You can only use the foglights if it is foul weather. German vehicles actually have a bright taillight (one bright, one normal) or extra taillight that comes on when you have your fog lights on to warn people from the rear. Good idea!

As for adding them to the Pilot, again I hardly used them on the Jeep - so I guess we will pass.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I just purchased and received mine from the group buy Tim was offering. I will not do the install myself ... much like sticking myself with a hypodermic needle ... I refuse to cut my own vehicle ... as well as remove the bumper. The install is lengthy so I figure it will be best to have the dealer do it. I'm just trying to decide now whether or not to go with the bumper garnish or not ... another bumper removal and hole drilling install. If I do, I'll wait on the fog install and do them together ...

PrG

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Honda Fogs

Yes they are worth it.
The install is not that bad, if you don't mind taking the bumper off.
I have a modification to the wireing that makes the install easier and the opperation better (IMHO).
----------------------------------------
Cut and Paste

I will give the instructions two ways.
The first explains what is done electrically for those who may want to take a different approach to getting the same results.
The second is a step by step for those who may not know as much about wiring.
All the modifications are made to the under-dash Fog Light Switch harness, which comes as part of the kit. All under-hood, and bumper instructions are un-changed.

1. (For the Electrical Geeks)
The fog light circuit uses two relays. The first is mounted under the dash per the Honda instructions. The second is mounted under the front bumper.

The under dash relay is used in series to the dash Fog Light Switch to switch power to the under bumper relay which switches power to the Fog Lights.

The under dash relay normally gets its power from the Yellow/Red wire in the Blue connector, and gets its ground from the White/Red wire tapped between the two large gray connectors. The Yellow/Red is hot whenever the headlights are on (Low/High). The White/Red is at ground only when the headlights are on Low. Therefore the relay will only be closed when the headlights are On, and on Low.

The two changes that need to be made are:
a. Provide power to the Yellow/Red wire whenever the Park lights are on.

b. Provide ground to the White/Red wire.
Both of these lines are available in the small Gray connector on the switch harness that plus into the drivers side fuse panel. The Black wire is Ground. The Red/Black wire is hot whenever the Park lights are on.
Connecting a lead from the Black wire at the small Gray connector to the White/Red wire at the large gray connector will provide the ground.
Connecting a wire from the Red/Black wire at the small Gray connector to the Yellow/Red wire at the Blue connector will provide the power.
The Blue connector and the two large Gray connectors are not used.

2. (For the rest)

Parts:
- Fog Light Switch Harness
- Three crimp type insulated butt wire connectors.
- About 18 inches of thin automotive hookup wire.

Take the Fog Light Switch harness and un-tape the junctions between the legs.

At the junction that includes the two large connectors you will find that only one wire is tapped from them.

The White/Red wire runs from one large connector, up to the relay socket, and back to the other large connector.

Cut both of these wires where they enter each side of the harness going to the large connectors. You will not need that part of the harness.

Make sure you have enough of one the White/Red wire exposed from the rest of the harness to attach a crimp connector. Put a wire connector on the White/Red wire. You need to connect to only one of these wires, the other can be ignored.

At the other junction find the Black wire running from the Gray connector to the switch connector.

Tap this wire. One way is to carefully strip back about ½ inch of insulation. Fold the bare part in half and put it into one side of a crimp connector.

Run a new wire between these two crimp connectors to finish this part. If you want a more professional look, fish the new wire through the sleeve running between these two points.

At the junction between the legs running to the small Gray connector and the Blue connector you will find the Red/Black wire.

Tap this wire the same way you tapped the Black wire.

Cut the Yellow/Red going to the Blue connector. You will not need the Blue connector.

Attach the end of the Yellow/Red wire to the crimp connector tap on the Red/Black wire at the junction.

Re-tape the wire harness with electrical tape.

Install per the Honda instructions, ignoring the steps involving the large Gray vehicle harness connections.

Two notes on the Honda instructions

1. You do NOT need to remove the dash end cover. It provided no needed access, and was difficult to remove.

2. You do need to remove the switch plate.
It is easily removed by prying gently at its bottom edge. It snaps out bottom first, and snaps back in top first.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Honfa fog lights

I purchased mine with the vehicle due to the great experience I have had for the past eight years on my Accord EX-L coupe. :29: They provide great illumination and make driving in all conditions brighter. The only complaint I had with the Accord lights was access for changing the bulbs. Last year, I noticed one bulb was no longer working and tackled the bulb change - NOT!!! After finding that it involved dismantling the entire bumper and valance along with vrious and sundry plastic clips. I took my bulbs to the dealer at the next scheduled maintanance and they said, "Sure, we'll change them for you!". Afterward, they informed me that next time they would have to charge two hours labor after changing them for the first time ever - they had no idea how difficult it would be! Being a reasonable dealer with great service, they only charhed me $20.00 for their Heculean effort - what a deal! Armed with the installation instructions for the factory lights, I feel confident that I can change these bulbs myself. Also, a small knock on Honda - the Helm published (Honda OFFICIAL source Helm manuals site ) maintenance manual DOES NOT have details on most dealer installed options. Helm claims that Honda usually publishes a supplement for these items - Honda says to ask Helm???:confused: Thank goodness for the post of the pfd files for installation supplied by Jerry and College Hills Honda DIO installation instructions - thanks guys!!!:cool:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I didn't purchase the fog lights mainly because it was on my list of options not to get to save money. I've never had them before and really didn't see the need to have them after driving for years without them and being fine. I can understand however how they help with lighting.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Wont drive without them

If you are in a rural area, you need to see the eyes of the little critters that are about to run out in front of you.

OH, and for fog too.

BTW, for FOG the CORRECT (but not always legal) way to use fog lights is to put on fogs and parks only. You low beams will obsure your view.
If you have european "City Lights", they should be on also.

·
Registered
664 Posts
My only note on the fogs was they did not look like the website. Now that I have them I love them, both form and function. Be sure to check out the other posts on the foglights I posted mine back in late June and I know others have them in other sections of the site. (See Soapplants recent Bug Guard pics.)

I took some of the covers off to see what was done and would not want to cut into my bumper where it was needed. A slip of the hand would make a big mess up front. (I guess if you take your time and use the correct markings on the back of the bumper you should be fine. )

Anyway, they are WELL worth the money.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Cutting Bumper

Dont worry about cutting the bumber.
The line to cut on is marked on the inside.
I used a utility knife and took several cuts to go through slowly.
you are working from the back so a slip is not a problem.
The covers also cover the cut edges so even a small mistake is no big deal.
Getting the bumber off and on was much scarier to me. Took a bit more tugging than I expected, but I am sure the dealer would have just pulled harder and with less care than I used.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Love the fogs - both form and function.

I did the install myself. It was actually very fun/gratifying. Being quite scared of cutting the holes in the bumper, it actually was not time consuming or difficlt. I used a Rotozip (check out at Sears or Home Depot) and each cut took all of 20 seconds.

Go for it! Any questions on the install.... I would be happy to relay my experience.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Thought about the RotoZip or the Dremel

The Dremel was going to be my second choice if the bumper was too hard for the knife. It is not, a utility knife works well.
I though about the RotoZIp, but you must be a bit braver than I am.
I find without a guide, it is way too easy for it to get away from me.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Nice to Have

Nice to have but, as noted above, fill out sides and below low beams rather than adding significantly projected additional forward light. In standard installation, they only light with low beams. Had mine dealer installed, fortunately before Dealer figured out how much Tech time was involved ! Installation instructions were printed in earlier thread if you want an idea of what self installation would be like. I'd buy 'em again.

·
Registered
143 Posts
ordered the fogs at delivery and have used them a number of times since; rain, fog, future snow. If you live in a climate subject to harsh driving conditions, visiblity, I would recommend them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Can someone post a picture of Trim and No Trim Fog Lights. I like the lights with trim, but I'm worried about idiots parking and backing into it.

Has anyone attempted after-market lites. What about mounting into the lower grill area?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Honda fog lights

I had the Pilot fog lights and lower trim installed by the dealer last week. Used them tonight and found that they enhance visibility significantly on roads without street lights. Some increased distance but definitely improved "periferal lighting".

Camel

·
Registered
290 Posts
I, for one, was extremely displeased that the EX did not come with fog lights. When I was buying mine, I talked to the salesman about getting them added, but when he showed them to me...well...I found them hideous. I love having fog lights and haven't had a vehicle without them since 1985, but I didn't want those ugly things.

Granted, everybody has their own tastes and opinions, but for me, they look tacked on and ugly. More than likely I will eventually buy some after-market fogs and put them in the front air dam area (the area right above the lower gray trim and below the grill). I will probably get something small and unobtrusive.

But if you like the look, go for it. Having installed my own fog lights several times in the past, I will warn you that it isn't for the faint of heart. And this one requires you to cut :eek: the front bumper. Not that big of a deal, but a little scary to be cutting a brand new $30,000+ vehicle.

Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
399 Posts
I decided to go with the Westin Safari Bar with the fog light mounts. Will protect the Senior Citizens from backing straight into my bumper and also can get the Piaa 520's to provide the needed driving lights :1:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts