Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Impossible for anyone to give you an accurate opinion online. Visual inspection and test drive are needed to get any idea of true condition, and even then it's hard to find some hidden faults.

·
Registered
407 Posts
You need to find a local mechanic who can look it over for you. Use yelp or google to find one.

Alternatively, yourmechanic.com offer this service for around $100.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
820 Posts
I don’t buy from people who can’t spell properly. Maybe that’s not a fair thing to do, but it definitely weeds people out. “Breaks”??
Also I would stay away from 2003-2005. Too many transmission issues and 2006-2008 weren’t as susceptible.
It has a new motor which is a little fishy as well.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Any inspection should include putting the vehicle on a lift and checking underbody for rust; check engine, trans, diff for leaks. Check brakes, check steering and suspension. All codes should be read. Take a long test drive to reset codes if they were deliberately cleared. Engine and transmission function should be carefully observed on the test drive. Fluid levels and conditions should be checked. Find a trustworthy mechanic to do this and be ready to pay a reasonable fee for the service.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
The others have you covered. A paid, thorough inspection is a small investment to mitigate your risk. I also am wary of people who can't spell or use proper grammar when they want people to pay them $4k. But this is the world today.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Also, please be aware of the need for timing belt replacement in the Honda engines. If this "new" engine does not come with a warranty or reliable maintenance records, then you need to plan for a timing belt+water pump service asap. This is about a $1000 item. Is the "new" engine a documented remanufactured one, or just a junkyard used engine?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
You've received excellent guidance to help you make an informed decision on a used vehicle whether it's a 14yr-old Pilot or something else. Private sale or used car dealership that's offering any warranty? Used vehicles can be a good thing or bad so buyer beware.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Things that would bother me:

1. Why was the engine replaced at 125k? It could be a stuck thermostat/overheat, maybe a radiator failure/overheat, and that's fine, but I'd like to know why.
2. What engine is in there? New? Reman? Salvage? How many miles are on it? Was a new timing belt, tensioner, spark plugs, and waterpump of good quality used on it? Without that info, I'd plan for timing belt, water pump, pulleys, bolts, tensioner, spark plugs. This is around $1600 for quality work/parts. So add that to the cost.
3. The 2005 was susceptible to the strawberry milkshake in the transmission. I might be a little worried that the radiator failed, mixed coolant in the tranny, overheated the engine, and then they just flushed the tranny and got it going again. If that's the case, damage was done and I'd be very concerned. That's always a risk with any of these year models, but you KNOW something bad happened with this one and I'd really want the honest story, or someone might be pawning off a vehicle that's going to need a transmission soon as well.

It could be a reliable vehicle as it is, or it might need about $6,000 in repairs very soon.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
331 Posts
Things that would bother me:

1. Why was the engine replaced at 125k? It could be a stuck thermostat/overheat, maybe a radiator failure/overheat, and that's fine, but I'd like to know why.
+1. The only reason for a rational owner to replace an engine in an old car is if its in otherwise excellent condition and they want to drive it long term. "Flipping" a car with problems for resale increases the odds that corners will be cut. The red flags that everyone else has pointed out make this a poor bet, regardless of the test drive / inspection.

There's lots of good used cars out there. Keep looking until you find one.

·
Registered
292 Posts
While engine replacement, I'd want to see a year or two of trouble-free running after replacement before considering buying the car. There are just too many things that can go wrong with this sort of repair and the fact the original owner did the repair but now wants to unload the vehicle raises questions of "why?".

Unless you like taking risks and welcome a project car, try and find a car with a less "colorful" history, even if you have to spend quite a bit more. The extra money is well spent.

- Mark

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,953 Posts
Too many red flags as mentioned above. I’d pass on this one.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
828 Posts
Too many red flags as mentioned above. I’d pass on this one.
Maybe. It could be a good deal, or it could turn out to be a money pit and repair nightmare. You need a good inspection and some good documention from the seller. If it's a one-owner Pilot, they should have all the repairs well detailed, with receipts.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
This thread has a lot of good information, pros+cons to consider when buying any used vehicle. Curious at what price point Piloteers here would consider for this Pilot knowing that the motor has been replaced, needs TB, regular maintenance and assuming the body is in great shape with little to no rust. Perhaps $2200?

·
Registered
603 Posts
No more info? $1500 after an inspection. I figure add $1600 for immediate repairs plus I guarantee it will need some suspension parts, valve cover gaskets, etc.

I love it when dealers try and say “1 owner car”. That’s baloney. If I can’t talk to the original owner, it ain’t a one owner car.

If it has full records, a solid engine with no repairs needed, passes an inspection with no repairs immediately needed, then asking is likely fair depending on actual observers condition.

·
Registered
820 Posts
As far as I’m concerned, having a replaced engine doesn’t strike me as a red flag as long as it was done by a decent place. It certainly doesn’t take away the value of the car. It’s a 16 year old car so it’s not worth much to begin with. You can’t really nitpick with stuff like that for a car that old. If you were buying a much newer Pilot you could use that as negotiating power.
When I sold my 1996 Accord coupe people tried to get the price down by saying “oh it needs x-y-z replace”. I didn’t negotiate with this people and ended up selling it for $2,200 and yes it did need some work done.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I can nitpick whatever I want. I am a professional nitpicker. ;)

When I purchase a used car, it is a diamond in the rough. Spend 6 months looking, call on 100 cars, go look at 5, and buy one.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
820 Posts
I can nitpick whatever I want. I am a professional nitpicker. When I purchase a used car, it is a diamond in the rough. Spend 6 months looking, call on 100 cars, go look at 5, and buy one.
I have to fight the urge because if not I would nitpick all day. But I realize a used car just can’t be perfect. It’s a long internal battle.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Curious at what price point Piloteers here would consider for this Pilot knowing that the motor has been replaced, needs TB, regular maintenance and assuming the body is in great shape with little to no rust. Perhaps $2200?
This is a good question!

For me, $500. No kidding. I'm guessing that this one was effectively abandoned by the previous owner, then picked up by someone who thought they could make some money piecing it back together. They may have done a fine enough job, but odds are they economized to maximize their profit.

Even if the body is great, I would handicap it as 50/50 for needing several thousand dollars more over the next 12 - 18 months. I wouldn't touch it unless I was very confident I would still be ahead if I had to take that hit. I might have it all wrong, but there's not enough upside to make taking the risk worth it, in my personal calculus.

There's too many good used cars out there.

To another point made in this thread - if it had been driven another year / 10k miles after the transplant, I think $3500 - $4000 is reasonable.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts