Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My final two choices were the 2019 Honda Pilot Elite and 2019 Toyota Highlander Limited Platinum. But I want to know the issues on the Pilot and the advantages of buying a Pilot. The 9 Speed Transmission makes me skeptical and I had recently noticed that Honda's qualities in their cars have worsened. Please respond!

·
Registered
12 Posts
My final two choices were the 2019 Honda Pilot Elite and 2019 Toyota Highlander Limited Platinum. But I want to know the issues on the Pilot and the advantages of buying a Pilot. The 9 Speed Transmission makes me skeptical and I had recently noticed that Honda's qualities in their cars have worsened. Please respond!
This is a pilot forum. Most people are going to say pilot...

Watch video comparisons, video reviews of each vehicle, then test drive both

·
Registered
190 Posts
As a current owner of 3 Toyota 4Runners 89, 93 and 03, I have to say I LOVE MY 16 PILOT.

If I was in the market for a Toyota and didn't need space, I'd buy another 4Runner or a Land Cruiser... only if I owned a gas station. Those are the only Toyota SUVs I'd buy, the rest IMHO are mediocre.

My family has every vehicle in the Toyota lineup, only because family members work at the dealership in SF and gets discounts on cars and maintenance. I honestly don't know what they'd buy if nobody worked for Toyota. I was shunned for buying my 2 Hondas.

If you don't need the space and wanted something new, I'd jump on the new 2019 Passport!!!

2016 Touring AWD MSM

·
Super Moderator
15,183 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the 9 speed. Honda has tamed it.
Look at the interior space, Pilot wins hands down. Many threads here say the Highlander 's third row is great for tiny kids. Try it for yourself.

·
Registered
740 Posts
First, I have read complaints about the Toyota 8 speed as well, my assumption is both Toyota and Honda had customer feedback over the first couple years of those transmissions and I'd assume both are fine at this point.

Second, having sat in both recently and played with everything, I wouldn't even be test driving a Highlander. Sure, it's nice but I'd consider it more of a 2 row + emergency kid seating and if I'm looking for a three row it's not competitive with the Pilot. I also was not very impressed with the layout and comfort of the front seating compared to the Pilot, the Pilot seemed like a nicer place to be.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The Highlander has a metal timing belt and that will save you about $1,000 that it costs to get done on the Pilot. The Highlander doesn't currently have Apple CarPlay/Android Auto but it may in next year's version. The Highlander is narrower (which may or may not be an advantage) and has less overall room.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
The Highlander is one of the slowest 3row haulers and its AWD is inferior to the Pilots. But they do have e an awesome around view monitor aka Birds Eye view. That's the only feature I'd want on a Honda.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Was basically in the same situation trying to decide between the two. Pilot's interior, engine and styling for me won me over. The Pilot is much more wider and has an open space from front to back especially the cargo area. The Highlander although not terrible looking, for me the interior was too narrow, dash board still looked a bit dated and also didn't like the rear styling. Pilot was an easy decision!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a 2013 Pilot Touring (my second Pilot had a 2006). I was looking to downsize to the CRV. Went to the CRVOC web site and found some issues with the 1.5 turbo (gas in oil). I scratched that and starting looking at Toyota (Highlander and RAV4). They had some issues with their Entune system. Plus I was looking for Nav installed and with Toyota you basically subscribe to get their Nav system. No thanks. I’m now looking at another Pilot. I would buy the Pilot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We just settled that dilemma on Saturday by purchasing a '19 Pilot Elite. Highlander Lmtd Plt had nice styling, free oil change /tire rotation for 25,000 and the desired 360*,

Pilot Elite had nicer 20" wheels, remote start, Apple Play / Android Auto, more space, better AWD system, BluRay player, and .9% financing.

Both vehicles had nice safety options, heated steering, heated captain chairs in 2nd row and our best price on each was within $100. The Pilot had more features that put it ahead and the only thing better than .9% is 0%. That saved us almost $1000 which offsets the timing belt service at 115,000 miles and 230,000 miles.

MLDpilot you have till tomorrow to take advantage of .9%, technically ends today but dealer can process the paperwork to make it work. Curious to see if the incentives get better after 1/3.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2013 Pilot Touring (my second Pilot had a 2006). I was looking to downsize to the CRV. Went to the CRVOC web site and found some issues with the 1.5 turbo (gas in oil). I scratched that and starting looking at Toyota (Highlander and RAV4). They had some issues with their Entune system. Plus I was looking for Nav installed and with Toyota you basically subscribe to get their Nav system. No thanks. I’m now looking at another Pilot. I would buy the Pilot.
The Passport is a great option. Larger than the CRV but same features as a Pilot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts