Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been looking into buying a used Pilot or CRV for about 6 months but haven't found the right one. I live in a smaller city so I don't have as many options locally as I would like.

Recently a 2003 Pilot at 170,000 miles popped up. The timing belt/water pump were changed at 100,00 miles but I'm a little wary of this year given the history of transmission problems. The current owner said the transmisison was flushed around 100,000 miles (full flush, not a fluid exchange) but there are no records of that or any other transmission or transmission fluid servicing.

I'm trying to get this car for around $4K but am wondering if this is too much of a gamble given the potential of a transmission failure. I see that Car Complaints' website has a lot to say about this issue for 03 pilots. Am I better waiting for another model year?

Thanks,

Ryan

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,408 Posts
You're buying a pretty old car so it's not going to be perfect. The only way you can have some idea about the transmission is if you drive the car. You'll have to get the timing belt done in the next few years and that can cost anywhere from $700-$1,400.

For me, that's a pretty high price for such an old car. It would have to be pretty mint for me to consider paying that much.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
422 Posts
Knowing what I know now- have it scanned for codes and take to Trusted mechanic if you are really interested. Even if garage kept & mint condition - without service records, I might would offer 1/2 that and expect problems.

·
Registered
2003 Pilot EX-L 4wd
89 Posts
I purchased my ‘03 in July for $3800 private sale. I live in one of the top 10 largest US cities and used cars last all of 5mins around here before they sell. Mine had 140k when I bought it. No issues, and I’ve “caught up” on the maintenance. Honda sells ~400,000 of these cars a year and I’ve seen a handful of info about transmission failures. They did a recall and put a jet where the fill plug was, I think. I wouldn’t let a few online posts about reliability sway me too much. But with buying anything used, caveat emptor.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Also keep in mind older models are going to have more complaints because they are OLDER and typically have more miles. I think the whole Honda transmission reputation has gotten a little over dramatized. Obviously people had issues but most people didn’t. Maintenance history is only one piece of the puzzle, driving habits/style can also do tremendous damage to the transmission.

·
Registered
2003 Pilot EX-L 4wd
89 Posts
Also keep in mind older models are going to have more complaints because they are OLDER and typically have more miles. I think the whole Honda transmission reputation has gotten a little over dramatized. Obviously people had issues but most people didn’t. Maintenance history is only one piece of the puzzle, driving habits/style can also do tremendous damage to the transmission.
For sure! Everytime a “quirk” (Always a mild annoyance) pops up I remind myself I bought a 17yr old vehicle.

·
Registered
9,446 Posts
Few things to look for...
Watch out for the rust for sure.
I'd take a white rag, pull the dipstick and examine the transmission fluid. Is it bright red or burnt brown? Does it smell burnt, musty old?
Older vehicles tend to leak oil. Is the vehicle covered in oil under the engine?
Check the rubber boots on the CV axles. Are the sealed or torn and greasy, grimy?
Open the radiator is it full with clean coolant or does it look like a milkshake?

Reactions: ConrodM

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,275 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
If the transmission seems to be working properly, there are many more important issues to look for in an '03. The checklist will help you do that.

I think that $4k is silly unless it's pristine, but that's what the market is paying these days. If you want a Pilot, that's what it will cost. If you want a bargain, you'll have to negotiate well or keep looking.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an '03 with 138k that I bought new and have had zero problems. We do the regular oil changes, transmission fluid, differential fluid changes, and have been very lucky. I would consider it in excellent shape, and plan on handing it down to my girls to drive next year. If it's in good shape, I think $4k is fair

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,275 Posts
When was this created and has it been updated? I'd be curious if as the 2006-2008 aged if the failures went up.
The chart is getting a bit long in the tooth, so update it with extrapolation, FWIW.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts