Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moochy, the dog in my avatar was put down two months ago, after 16 years of loyal friendship.
I am thinking of getting another dog from the shelter. But damn, do not know if I want to go through the pain of losing another buddy again. I drive truck locally for a living, so he was either with me in the truck or at the yard.
Confused, but lonely without him.

·
Registered
2021 Pilot SE Modern Steel Metallic
11 Posts
Oof, man I’m sorry about your pup. You’ll know when you’re ready, and if you’re asking I’ll bet you’re pretty close to ready.

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
Moochy, the dog in my avatar was put down two months ago, after 16 years of loyal friendship.
I am thinking of getting another dog from the shelter. But damn, do not know if I want to go through the pain of losing another buddy again. I drive truck locally for a living, so he was either with me in the truck or at the yard.
Death is an inevitable part of life - sooner or later.
Having a job situation that allows your dog to be with you during the day, rather than left alone at home, is a distinct advantage.
If you're willing to make another (potential) 16-year commitment, then I'd say start looking for a new buddy.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Death is an inevitable part of life - sooner or later.
Having a job situation that allows your dog to be with you during the day, rather than left alone at home, is a distinct advantage.
If you're willing to make another (potential) 16-year commitment, then I'd say start looking for a new buddy.
I agree, got to think about this more, I think I may need more time to grieve.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree, got to think about this more, I think I may need more time to grieve.
Something else I have to consider, in 16 years I will be 76. Wow, I really need to put some serious thought into this.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot EXL
10 Posts
I say go for it at some point...only you will know when you're ready. I've had dogs since I was a kid. some time ago I had a gorgeous black Lab named Jade who I had from the age of 8 weeks until she passed in my arms at just past her 15th birthday. I said hell no, never again, but about 3 months later, the kids and wife dragged me to an adoption event and I fell in love with another Lab puppy. I came to the conclusion that the joy is worth the inevitable pain for us. And with so many dogs needing good homes, if I can help one or two at a time, I should. Just one way to think about it. sorry for your loss..and I wish you the best

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,260 Posts
I feel your loss. I have been there many many times with several horses, even more dogs as well as some cats. The thing that always brought me back was not just the fact of what they do for me, but more importantly what we do for them. You take them into your life, give them a safe haven, a home and the necessities of life. And what do they give us?

All the love and devotion they posses for the entirety of their lives. Pretty good trade off in my book.

My horse days are over, but I still have two dogs and two cats and plan to have dogs and cats until the day I die.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EXL AWD
93 Posts
Sorry for your loss. When I lost my dog due to cancer 8 years ago, I have asked the same question. Most of the response I got, you'll not find the dog, the dog will find you.
That happened to me. Now we lived with a lovely dog whom we rescued that
almost got euthanized 7 years ago.

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
Something else I have to consider, in 16 years I will be 76. Wow, I really need to put some serious thought into this.
I notice that the seniors in my area generally have smaller breed dogs, as opposed to one younger couple who has a great dane. Every time they go by with it I'd swear that they were walking a pony.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,249 Posts
When our Shetland sheepdog Kyra died a year and a half ago, it was a heartbreaking time for the whole family. We really had a good dog, and she had good humans. She even loved climbing into the Pilot for a ride or to come camping with us.

Not ready yet, but the time may come. You'll know.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sorry for losing your buddy. No question get another dog. Good luck finding a rescue, seems everyone has been picking the shelters clean as we've been looking.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
There is no choice for me... a couple months of heartbreak for 16 years of joy is a worthy tradeoff for me...

We've always had herding dogs, Border Collies and Shetland Sheepdogs... Shelties are a great companion if you don't mind the hair and get yourself a pretty relaxed one that will tolerate long trips in the truck.

And yes, I did name my Sheltie Nessie after the Loch Ness Monster, all 14 full grown pounds of her.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts