Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2009 EX-L RES
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought a 2009 on Craigslist. Long story short, I did not do my homework and the vehicle has more miles than the “private owner” showed me on the odometer. It was rolled back but even at what I assume is about 180,000 the thing runs great and after checking history and even calling the dealer who serviced it the timing belt and tensioner were just changed less than 10k miles ago.
First thing we did was order and install S-VCM and make sure to drain and fill ATF twice. Replaced struts and shocks all around and the only annoyance at this point is the Michelin tires on it were worn unevenly so now they do make some noise. We plan to drive it a long time so I appreciate all the tips here and will ask if I have questions come up!
Thanks to all you Piloteers!

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,587 Posts
Do you have proof the odometer was tampered with?
If you're going just off of Carfax, the shop that did the work could have made an error.

Furthermore, cars more than 10 years old are exempt from odometer reporting so I don't think there is much that can be done.

·
Registered
2009 EX-L RES
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have proof the odometer was tampered with?
If you're going just off of Carfax, the shop that did the work could have made an error.

Furthermore, cars more than 10 years old are exempt from odometer reporting so I don't think there is much that can be done.
It was my mistake but a good lesson not to buy before checking further into it. Service history is pretty thorough and just one owner who took care of it pretty well. I assume the middle man who sold it to me changed it but no way to prove it or do anything anyway. I plan to drive it a long time anyway so guess I can say “miles unknown” when I pass it on lol!

·
Registered
2009 EX-L RES
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the OD was rolled back I would contact the NTSB as well as the local US Attorneys office. Altering the Odometer is a Federal Felony.
Yes I did report it properly, however it was a mistake I’ll have to learn from as I purchased it from someone who probably flips and turns back odometers like that. I assume even the name and phone number he gave me were temporary. Hopefully I learned my lesson there, but I also hope the vehicle lasts me a long time!

·
Registered
336 Posts
I got my '09 a few years ago, had 93k on it. I got the VCM canceler, did the timing belt around 110k, have done a few transmission fluid drain/fill, and I've changed the struts which got a bit rattley and bouncy, need to do the rear shocks. Brake pads changed and rotors machined 'cause on braking it had a wobble, which was corrected. After a while I found the maintenance history in the back of the owner's manual - a thick stack of stickers from Jiffy Lube every 3,000 miles, hahahaha. The previous owner didn't baby the car, but at least they changed the oil a lot.

The car has 150k on it now and I need to change the alternator. It hasn't been a 'perfect' car but very reliable and satisfactory for the mileage and timing I got it. It's the family vehicle I do all the stuff in I don't want to use my Mazda for, which I just drive for date nights usually now. That car has 145k on it too! I really like the Pilot, it's a great car and I plan to keep it well past paying it off.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,276 Posts
Dumb guy who rolls back odometers is not only looking to potentially get caught and find himself in deep :poop:, but little does he know that on a Pilot it makes much less of a difference than just having those good service records. Well, except for the Jiffy Lube thing. :)

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
284 Posts
is it even possible to roll back a digital odometer ? :unsure:
its not like the 180k is an uncommon mileage for that age vehicle.
though if it runs good and drives straight who cares, its a Honda!
welcome to the club

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,871 Posts
is it even possible to roll back a digital odometer ? :unsure:
its not like the 180k is an uncommon mileage for that age vehicle.
though if it runs good and drives straight who cares, its a Honda!
welcome to the club
Yes you can. It is not a problem at all, in fact it is easier to roll back a digital odometer than it is a mechanical one. All it takes is the proper device/software to reset a digital odometer. Leaves no tell tale signs like a mechanical odometer.

To catch a roll back all you need these days are good records for the vehicle.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,180 Posts
Yes you can. It is not a problem at all, in fact it is easier to roll back a digital odometer than it is a mechanical one. All it takes is the proper device/software to reset a digital odometer. Leaves no tell tale signs like a mechanical odometer.

To catch a roll back all you need these days are good records for the vehicle.
Wow- figured though.

Consulting Professor Google found all these instantly:

·
Registered
2009 EX-L RES
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What evidence do you have that the odometer was rolled back?
All the service records from Honda dealerships over the years show it gradually rising with no inconsistencies. The previous owner did a good job maintaining it so I assume the guy I bought it from just flips them and rolls back odometers. Clean one owner title but a great opportunity for this guy to roll back and charge me more. Again, my mistake for not checking service history first.

·
Registered
322 Posts
It's not just shady guys. We traded our 2000 Acura 1.6 EL with a large Nissan dealer for an X-Trail (POS never again) and it had 389K KM's on it. They advertised it with 170K and I went to check it out, there it was in the used lot with 170K on it. I was like WTF! they were closed, and I went back the next day and the car was gone. They sold it to a kid and said oh the add was a mistake/typo. I ran into the kid a few weeks later at the mall and told him about it really having 389 when I traded it. Not sure he did anything about it. Found out after terrible service from the dealer they did that shit all the time! I'll never buy another Nissan product based on that experience. The Dealership went bankrupt about a year after our warranty expired and I never went back. That X-Trail and dealer were 7 years I can't get back in my life. That thing ate a head gasket at 260K Km's I changed it out and on first startup the exhuast cam broke into 3 pieces. It was scrapped the same day.

·
Registered
2009 EX-L RES
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's not just shady guys. We traded our 2000 Acura 1.6 EL with a large Nissan dealer for an X-Trail (POS never again) and it had 389K KM's on it. They advertised it with 170K and I went to check it out, there it was in the used lot with 170K on it. I was like WTF! they were closed, and I went back the next day and the car was gone. They sold it to a kid and said oh the add was a mistake/typo. I ran into the kid a few weeks later at the mall and told him about it really having 389 when I traded it. Not sure he did anything about it. Found out after terrible service from the dealer they did that shit all the time! I'll never buy another Nissan product based on that experience. The Dealership went bankrupt about a year after our warranty expired and I never went back. That X-Trail and dealer were 7 years I can't get back in my life. That thing ate a head gasket at 260K Km's I changed it out and on first startup the exhuast cam broke into 3 pieces. It was scrapped the same day.
Wow!! Just wow.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,587 Posts
Can you share the inconsistencies? Like what the record shows vs what it was sold with?

I will say sometimes mechanics don't record the mileage perfectly, sometimes they leave out a number or add a number by accident.

·
Registered
2009 EX-L RES
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can you share the inconsistencies? Like what the record shows vs what it was sold with?

I will say sometimes mechanics don't record the mileage perfectly, sometimes they leave out a number or add a number by accident.
Speedometer Trip computer Odometer Vehicle Car

Hopefully these screenshots come through, but basically he sold it to me showing 87,300 so I went to the tax collectors before even looking into it and that is now on my title. I can see based on the history shown on Honda Owners that the mileage was rolled back as it is consistent through service history. The title showed about 70k when I took it to transfer into my name, and looking at the owners manual the same person purchased it new in 2009 as was on the title. Again I assume the middle man rolled it back but I guess it could have been the original owner though I would doubt it. I called the dealership and he had the timing belt changed twice as well as lower control arms and other maintenance so seems he took decent care of it.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,181 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I don’t think your question about maintenance was answered. You can look at the maintenance guide for a 2005 Pilot to get a feel for the service intervals. 2005 was the last year before Honda switched to the Maintenance Minded system.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts