Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BundysGarage has a short video on YT where he did not take out the throttle body and intake manifold when replacing the gasket:

The vehicle in the video is not the 1st gen Pilot. For those of us who have done valve adjustment and gasket replacement, can the shortcut be used for the 1st generation pilots?

·
Registered
506 Posts
I think it would work fine for an experienced mechanic who does this job regularly and knows where everything is.

I did this for the first time last fall. I wouldn't try it this way next time, or recommend it to someone like me that needs to watch YouTubes before they take on a new job -

1. In progress, I found that my intake manifold / EGR system was filthy, so opening it up and removing it for cleaning turned out to be an important (and unexpected) part of the project.
2. Complete disassembly revealed a few cracked or broken plastic bits that needed replacing.
3. Having as much visibility and access as possible was very helpful, especially for the rear bank.
4. If I have to do it again, I don't think that the time savings this approach offers is worth losing those advantages.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
436 Posts
BundysGarage has a short video on YT where he did not take out the throttle body and intake manifold when replacing the gasket:

The vehicle in the video is not the 1st gen Pilot. For those of us who have done valve adjustment and gasket replacement, can the shortcut be used for the 1st generation pilots?
Great Video!! I was so thankful to see his after market gasket wasn’t Blue like my Felpro!!! Whew!!!! Not sure I could get to rear cover using this method but if my new ones started leaking after a year I would try this method 1st. If it was my 1st time to do valve adjustment I would do as others stated ( rip it all out) for the benefits they present. Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts