Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yeah I know, another vibration. Hear me out...

I've been trying to track this issue down since I bought the vehicle used 9 months ago. When accelerating on the highway, as soon as I hit 45-50 MPH I get a quick burst of a vibration felt through the steering wheel. It feels like holding a cellphone in your hand when it vibrates during a text. Only in that speed range and only when accelerating at a moderate to fast rate. It doesn't happen when I'm accelerating slowly. I feel like it's caused by something that's rotating.

I've recently had both drive shafts replaced by the dealer for other vibration issues. I've also just replaced both front wheel bearings. All rotors and pads are also brand new. This issue existed before all these repairs.

I have one tire on the front that came with the vehicle and it's not in the best shape. The other three are perfect. Could a bad tire cause a vibration like this??

I am also suspecting the rear wheel bearings too...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mine has a similar issue and had another member suggest that these vehicles are known to have a torque converter shudder.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine has a similar issue and had another member suggest that these vehicles are known to have a torque converter shudder.
I'm almost certain what I'm feeling isn't TC shudder. It's too mild and my TX only has 66K on it and this was occurring when it only had 58K. Also, shudder usually happens during TC lock up, and I don't think mine locks up at 45 MPH.

I could be wrong about this of course, but it just doesn't feel like it's TC related.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I won't claim to have a definitive answer on it but have only owned my 2013 for a couple of months (bought at 62K miles) and began noticing its (similar) mph dependent vibration/shudder after installing the vcmuzzler. If you get it nailed down, I'll definitely be interested!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I won't claim to have a definitive answer on it but have only owned my 2013 for a couple of months (bought at 62K miles) and began noticing its (similar) mph dependent vibration/shudder after installing the vcmuzzler. If you get it nailed down, I'll definitely be interested!
Hmm interesting. I also have the muzzler installed.

Have you tried taking it off to see if you still get it?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hmm interesting. I also have the muzzler installed.

Have you tried taking it off to see if you still get it?
It's full on winter here and for now, I'm sufficiently satisfied to be rid of the much more pronounced VCM shudder, to have gotten all of its driveline fluids changed and winter tires mounted since the vehicle's purchase. My daughter has named it and drives it almost exclusively while effectively refusing to drive my '09 outback winter daily (heavy sigh).

It will get A/S tires for summer and I might have time to experiment. When I went to the lowest ohm muzzler resistor, I was unable to disconnect the device from the engine. That space is pretty tight for adult hands!! Fortunately, the exchangeable resistors are "T'd" into the muzzler harness so removal of the entire device is not necessary.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's full on winter here and for now, I'm sufficiently satisfied to be rid of the much more pronounced VCM shudder, to have gotten all of its driveline fluids changed and winter tires mounted since the vehicle's purchase. My daughter has named it and drives it almost exclusively while effectively refusing to drive my '09 outback winter daily (heavy sigh).

It will get A/S tires for summer and I might have time to experiment. When I went to the lowest ohm muzzler resistor, I was unable to disconnect the device from the engine. That space is pretty tight for adult hands!! Fortunately, the exchangeable resistors are "T'd" into the muzzler harness so removal of the entire device is not necessary.
I might just take that ohm resistor (I too am on the lowest one due to temperature) off and see if I still get the effect. I never had VCM shudder, but I still wanted to disable that awful design. Unfortunately I found out about it after I bought the vehicle.

The "buzz" I am getting (not even a shudder) is certainly torque related... So whatever is affected with an increase of rotational force is the culprit. I feel it in the steering wheel, so it makes me think it's coming from the front...which I am hoping I'm wrong because drive axels and bearings are brand new. That leaves my bad tire (which I highly doubt is the culprit) and then TX/engine.

I'm slowly growing apart from Honda after buying this vehicle.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ya. I'll admit that I was pretty disappointed in the VCM issue but that's done for this car. The other vibration is an annoyance. After that and so far, the thing seems mostly solid if a bit fluid maintenance intensive. I'm impressed with how smooth the V-6 seems to be (not V8 levels of lusty but it's not fair to expect that either). The body seems almost 100% free of squeaks and although I wish it had more leg room, my daughter doesn't complain and the thing hasn't left her stranded yet. Being 4WD, I like the VTM4 function too. I haven't towed anything with it and the receiver appears to have never been used but appreciate the option. The steering is pretty numb but that's not why I bought it either.

The new Pilots seem to have issues as well and if I had paid new car prices to have design problems in a Honda, I'd be pretty miffed. But to me, the thing is closer to an appliance which isn't to say that I won't have expectations or take care of it. Although I love cars and try to choose as well as I'm able, I don't expect this car to be a consistent source of happiness or gratification. Winters will eventually kill it like it does everything exposed to salt. : (

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya. I'll admit that I was pretty disappointed in the VCM issue but that's done for this car. The other vibration is an annoyance. After that and so far, the thing seems mostly solid if a bit fluid maintenance intensive. I'm impressed with how smooth the V-6 seems to be (not V8 levels of lusty but it's not fair to expect that either). The body seems almost 100% free of squeaks and although I wish it had more leg room, my daughter doesn't complain and the thing hasn't left her stranded yet. Being 4WD, I like the VTM4 function too. I haven't towed anything with it and the receiver appears to have never been used but appreciate the option. The steering is pretty numb but that's not why I bought it either.

The new Pilots seem to have issues as well and if I had paid new car prices to have design problems in a Honda, I'd be pretty miffed. But to me, the thing is closer to an appliance which isn't to say that I won't have expectations or take care of it. Although I love cars and try to choose as well as I'm able, I don't expect this car to be a consistent source of happiness or gratification. Winters will eventually kill it like it does everything exposed to salt. : (
I bought mine out of the salt belt on purpose. Then before our first winter up here I took it to get Krown spray! I'd look into that if I were you.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: Had my bad tire changed (got 2 new tires) problem still exists. I needed the tire anyway and didn't expect it to solve the issue.

Some new details:
  • As I drive and the car warms up, the grinding/vibration gets more noticeable
  • Shifting into neutral and coasting, I can still feel it in the pedals and steering wheel
  • I will be replacing the rear bearings when I get back home after vacation

·
Registered
61 Posts
Update: Had my bad tire changed (got 2 new tires) problem still exists. I needed the tire anyway and didn't expect it to solve the issue.

Some new details:
  • As I drive and the car warms up, the grinding/vibration gets more noticeable
  • Shifting into neutral and coasting, I can still feel it in the pedals and steering wheel
  • I will be replacing the rear bearings when I get back home after vacation
Does the vibration/noise worsen or lessen when each side of the vehicle loads or unloads in sweeping turns? Wheel bearings will often do that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does the vibration/noise worsen or lessen when each side of the vehicle loads or unloads in sweeping turns? Wheel bearings will often do that.
Stays pretty much the same. I can almost feel a slight worsening when veering left which is pointing to right rear bearing. We'll see... But I had a whirring on this vehicle when veering left and it turned out to be the front LEFT bearing. So I don't trust that method of diagnosis.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think that it changes with loading and unloading is the diagnostic part. The characteristics of the noise seems less so.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: Did both rear bearings. Buzzing still exists. I'm starting to think it's something inherent to the build quality of this vehicle. Probably transmission. This is certainly my last Honda.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts