Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2016 Pilot EX-L FWD with the 6 speed trans. I'm not finding an OEM part for the transmission cooler. It seems they only made them for the AWD? What have others with this configuration done for a cooler?

I also see i need to disable VCM. What's the consensus on the best solution for this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would this be what you're looking for for the transmission cooler?
(select the 6-Speed AT in the dropdown menu)
ATF Cooler Kit
Yes, however, that says it's for AWD models, and I have FWD. If the connection ports on the two different gearboxes are in the same place, groovy. My question specifically is if that cooler will work on the FWD trans. If not, what other options are available?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Yes, however, that says it's for AWD models, and I have FWD. If the connection ports on the two different gearboxes are in the same place, groovy. My question specifically is if that cooler will work on the FWD trans. If not, what other options are available?
The FWD (EDIT: 9-SPEED ONLY) transmission does not have the mounting bolt holes that the Honda transmission cooler screws into. The hose routing is otherwise the same. You can either buy the small Honda cooler and come up with a custom mounting solution, or go with a much cheaper aftermarket cooler and have to make the same custom mounting decision.

EDIT: SEE COMMENTS BELOW-6 SP FWD HAS BOLT HOLE

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I've got a 2016 Pilot EX-L FWD with the 6 speed trans. I'm not finding an OEM part for the transmission cooler. It seems they only made them for the AWD? What have others with this configuration done for a cooler?

I also see i need to disable VCM. What's the consensus on the best solution for this?
Don't need no stinking bolt holes, make your own, LOL. When it comes to tranny coolers, go big :eek:, or go home. LOL. My DIY Tru-Cool MAX 49211 installed on a 2017 Gen 2 Ridgeline (lower grill).

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
375 Posts
I don't see how you could go wrong with something simple like this.

I ran a hayden engine oil cooler on my Jeep without issue for years. had an in-line thermostat to help the oil get up to operating temp quicker. big problem with these air cooled coils is that on short trips your fluid never gets up to operating temperature which is where it functions properly.

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,373 Posts
Sorry, I must correct the information given here. The AWD Genuine Honda ATF cooler for the 6-speed transmission bolts up to the frame of the 2wd Pilot just fine. So the answer for the OP is yes, you can order the AWD parts and install yourself. I did.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tire Tread

Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

It is the 9-speed 2wd versions that have an issue with a missing bolt hole on the transmission itself.
Honda never intended for a 2wd to have an ATF cooler, that's why it's not listed in the parts diagram.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I don't see how you could go wrong with something simple like this.

I ran a hayden engine oil cooler on my Jeep without issue for years. had an in-line thermostat to help the oil get up to operating temp quicker. big problem with these air cooled coils is that on short trips your fluid never gets up to operating temperature which is where it functions properly.

What would tranny operating temp be?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've ordered OEM trans cooler kit for 6 speed AWD and had it installed on my FWD '16 Pilot EXL. Works just fine. The reason there's no OEM cooler for 6speed is due to the fact that Honda doesn't think you need one for FWD since tow capacity is limited anyways. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
The reason there's no OEM cooler for 6speed is due to the fact that Honda doesn't think you need one for FWD since tow capacity is limited anyways. Hope this helps.
Honda also didn't think the 2wd needed a cooler if you lived in a warm climate, drove in stop and go traffic or drove up steep inclines, but for many of us, it has been proved otherwise. This 4200lb vehicle needs a ATF cooler and more frequent ATF drain and fills to prolong the life of the transmission.
Don't forget to disable the VCM.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Honda also didn't think the 2wd needed a cooler if you lived in a warm climate, drove in stop and go traffic or drove up steep inclines, but for many of us, it has been proved otherwise. This 4200lb vehicle needs a ATF cooler and more frequent ATF drain and fills to prolong the life of the transmission.
Don't forget to disable the VCM.
I've had SVCM installed last year and it did yield weird results: while it was doing the job tricking the ECU but at the same time pilot has developed knocking sound while accelerating at low speeds. I took it off and sound was gone. I really am not sure what this was about but I haven't given it another chance

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
I've had SVCM installed last year and it did yield weird results: while it was doing the job tricking the ECU but at the same time pilot has developed knocking sound while accelerating at low speeds. I took it off and sound was gone. I really am not sure what this was about but I haven't given it another chance
I have no idea why.
For my Pilot, S-VCM is not optional. I have to keep it on to prevent the torque converter clutch lock issue from occurring, or I'll be buying a new transmission someday.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'd really recommend getting the OEM hard lines shown in Nail Grease's photo, even if you go with a different (ie larger) cooler. There isn't much space to thread lines around there and that hard line set up makes it a breeze. I spent several hours figuring how to route my hoses through that space without them rubbing on the frame or interfering with the plastic.

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
I'd really recommend getting the OEM hard lines shown in Nail Grease's photo, even if you go with a different (ie larger) cooler. There isn't much space to thread lines around there and that hard line set up makes it a breeze. I spent several hours figuring how to route my hoses through that space without them rubbing on the frame or interfering with the plastic.
Hand Arm Gesture Thumb Finger

Here is the part # for that.....
259455b7000
Would need one 10mm bolt to hold this in place.
You could buy this hose by the foot from AutoZone and use your own worm drive clamps to save a few bucks.
Automotive tire Font Auto part Cylinder Rim

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I used two 3/8" steel 90 degree hose barbs at the turn and split-loom over everything on both lines from the filter to the cooler.👌 I also used fuel injection hose clamps vs worm gear clamps.....less chance of cutting rubber hose using FI hose clamps.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts