Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I have decided that a 2012-2015 Pilot is our best SUV option, and have started shopping. Looking forward to being a Piloteer!

We're only looking at AWD EX-L and Touring models. In the dealer brochure under Towing, it says that the Touring model comes "prewired" — after further research, it appears to mean that the trailer wiring connection is a 7-pin round plug and that the system is already set up for trailer brakes (but must insert a fuse for it in the fuse box.)

Does the EX-L, then, have the standard 4-pin flat trailer light-only connector? Can it be easily upgraded to the 7-pin?

Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
You will need the Honda 08L91-SZA-100A Trailer Hitch Harness for 2012-2015 EX-L and Touring models. As I recall, it was a pretty simple installation. The directions indicated the removal of the the rear panels but that was unnecessary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! That's an easy install; I've done the cut-and-splice method on other vehicles, and this looks like a piece of cake by comparison.

While I'm thinking of it, were there any AWD models in this year range that DIDN'T come with a trailer hitch? The brochure seems to indicate it was standard equipment.

·
Registered
23 Posts
+1 for etrailer. They sell Curt brand harness at a fraction of the Honda one, they have extensive install videos, and I've also gotten tech support by email

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,878 Posts
Can't speak to the EX-L but my 2013 Pilot Touring came fully equipped from the factory with ATF cooler, Class III hitch and wiring harness. I do believe that all 2nd Gen Pilots did, at least the Touring model.

The EX-L will most likely have the 7 pin connector as the OEM Honda Class II hitch is for their smaller cars and the Odyssey, all of which are limited to a Max Tow Weight of 3500 lbs instead of the Max Tow Weight of 4500 lbs for the AWD equipped Pilots and Ridgelines of that age.

Before you get too excited about a Pilot for this purpose, what is it you intend to tow? When towing you need to buy the vehicle for the job, not necessarily the vehicle that appeals to you most.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Class III hitch is standard on all 2012-15 models. ATF cooler is only needed on FWD models (and is included on FWD Touring)
However, IIRC, only Touring comes pre-wired with a towing harness. All other trims, you'll need that 08L91-SZA-100A kit.

On my 2013 EX, I toyed with an idea of adding it 'just in case', but so far, all I ever used the hitch for is a bike rack.:whistle:

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Class III hitch is standard on all 2012-15 models. ATF cooler is only needed on FWD models (and is included on FWD Touring)
However, IIRC, only Touring comes pre-wired with a towing harness. All other trims, you'll need that 08L91-SZA-100A kit.

On my 2013 EX, I toyed with an idea of adding it 'just in case', but so far, all I ever used the hitch for is a bike rack.:whistle:
This is accurate since this is the first thing I did with our Pilot since I needed to tow utility trailers.

OP, this means if you get a Touring you are all set for trailers without brakes (minus needing a 7 to 4 pin adapter). If you are towing a trailer with brakes you will need the brake controller harness, which is cheap and easy to do. If you get an EX-L (you said AWD) you will need to get the kit from E-Trailer that takes 10 minutes to install for the wiring. I got the appropriate size hole saw and made a really clean hole for the 7 pin to mount to and I use an adapter as needed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts