Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. After having a string of bad experiences with Fords and their double-clutch transmissions. My wife and I said "Screw this, we're getting a Honda." My parents have had 2 Hondas with over 300,000 miles and little fuss. I'm hoping this type of reliability extends to the Pilot too. We're looking at 2nd gen and, because it's a Honda, I'm not too worried if it's pushing 100k on the odometer already. I've got a lot of reading to do around here to see what types of experiences everyone has had with higher mileage Pilots.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Later second gens, '12-'15 are pretty solid choices. VCM and front LCA compliance bushings are the biggest things to go wrong with VCM being vastly more costly to repair. If possible I'd pull one of the rear plugs on a vehicle you are about to hand over cash for and see how it looks, that's a dead giveaway for the condition.

Otherwise, the Honda J series runs on a timing belt so plan for that at some point depending on when/if it was done. Heavy SUVs like brakes and tires, so don't be surprised if you experience what you consider to be excessive. You're going from a Focus/Fiesta to something over twice the weight.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Later second gens, '12-'15 are pretty solid choices. VCM and front LCA compliance bushings are the biggest things to go wrong with VCM being vastly more costly to repair. If possible I'd pull one of the rear plugs on a vehicle you are about to hand over cash for and see how it looks, that's a dead giveaway for the condition.

Otherwise, the Honda J series runs on a timing belt so plan for that at some point depending on when/if it was done. Heavy SUVs like brakes and tires, so don't be surprised if you experience what you consider to be excessive. You're going from a Focus/Fiesta to something over twice the weight.
Good tips. Thank you. CarMax does 24hr test drives now. That should be more than enough time to check the plugs! Why do you (and this board) differentiate between early and late 2nd gen? Was there some sort of big chassis/drivetrain change?

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Good tips. Thank you. CarMax does 24hr test drives now. That should be more than enough time to check the plugs! Why do you (and this board) differentiate between early and late 2nd gen? Was there some sort of big chassis/drivetrain change?
I feel with the 2nd gen Honda didn't make any major changes through the lifecycle, but rather they implemented small changes to constantly improve it throughout the years. There was a midcycle refresh in '12 that massaged interior and exterior design that I think resulted in a cleaner interior and exterior. Not to mention the '09-'11s have the HDMI grill. Once you see it you can't unsee it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feel with the 2nd gen Honda didn't make any major changes through the lifecycle, but rather they implemented small changes to constantly improve it throughout the years. There was a midcycle refresh in '12 that massaged interior and exterior design that I think resulted in a cleaner interior and exterior. Not to mention the '09-'11s have the HDMI grill. Once you see it you can't unsee it.
Wow, yeah, "HDMI", I totally see it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts