Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Shopping cart VS Pilot,ouch!

12K views 95 replies 31 participants last post by  kemosabe 
#1 ·
I was at Target,came out to the car loaded stuff in,pushed the cart back way away from the Pilot,got in the car and felt like something hit the Pilot,looked out and saw the cart running along the Pilot ,powered by the wind,my heart stopped beatting for nearly 1 min.thinking I 'd get long scratches but turned out only 3 inch dent on the driver door,lucky me the cart was palstic(or hard rubber)so it didn't hurt the paint.Now I don't know if it's worth turning a claim to the Insurance co.Also not sure if painless bodyshop would fix.Simphathy please huhu.

#3 ·
I think someone like the "Dent Dr." could fix that in a very short time without new paint. It would be best to pay the couple of hundred dollars or less to have it fixed and not turn it into the insurance. Look in the phone book. Good luck.

#4 ·
The amount of work required maybe less than your insurance deductible, in which case, you end up paying for the dent job anyways. Depending on TX insurance regulations, your premium may also increase as a result of filing that claim, even though the insurance company may not pay a penny. Find out the best solution from your agent.

#5 ·
erpeters said:
Maybe if you had put the shopping cart where it belongs like everyone is supposed to...THIS WOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED!!! I am continually annoyed by lazy people who just push their shopping cart wherever they want when they are done.
Good point, but at least it was a mistake that is admitted? I make them all the time too.

Baolo.. If the damage is below your deductable then pay for it yourself. Otherwise might as well use your insurance? (Only if it does not raise your rate?) Good luck..

rob

#6 ·
Thanks a lot Erpeters

Your symphathy is appreciated.About the shopping cart thing,I did put it back,well, it wasn't where it was supposed tobe,but there were like 5-6 of the others there and there was not too many vehicles on the parking lot at the time.Besides,I had 2 little babies with me,didn't want to leave them to take the cart to where it belong.It'was cold and windy too.Would not you do the same thing?

#8 ·
I'll put my foot in my mouth when you put your cart where it belongs...I have had two cars damaged by another person's inconsideration with shopping carts. If you can't be considerate of others because you have children, stay home or take someone with you. I should not have to spend hundreds fixing my car because you have kids...sorry no sympathy here!!!

:9:

#11 ·
What I Do...

This is what I do when I have to go shopping w/o the wife and it's just me and the kid... I load up the Pilot, leave the kid in the shopping cart and push it back to the "Return Shopping Carts Here" rack, and carry the kid with me back to the car. Kind of a hassle, but I think it's worth it. Don't know what I'll do when we have child number two...

#12 ·
erpeters said:
I'll put my foot in my mouth when you put your cart where it belongs...I have had two cars damaged by another person's inconsideration with shopping carts. If you can't be considerate of others because you have children, stay home or take someone with you. I should not have to spend hundreds fixing my car because you have kids...sorry no sympathy here!!!

No one here is being inconsiderate? There are just telling there story how it happened. (It did not happen the way you thought it did) And it also drives me to drink when my property gets damaged by shopping carts, either by people who don't care or by mother nature. I have been on this forum for a little time but have learned much, My advice to you is to learn also buy listening and getting information from different people who are here to learn also.. If you want to burn your bridges (with your 1st post on this forum) go ahead! But you will soon learn that you will be ignored and people won't want to read what you got to say OR they just know you want to be confrontational....

I have always agreed with you 1st post, just not the way you wrote it.. Its was confrontational.. If you want to try again then welcome to the forum! If not. then goodluck

rob

#13 ·
Re: What I Do...

Thanks gopilot, you summed it up. I have found everyone at this site very welcoming and helpful. I really appreciate the forum. I was one of those mom's with baby in-tow that would leave her cart in the parking lot. I guess I never thought what happens to those carts left out in the lot. Thanks for enlightening me. I really like kemosabe's idea and I'm going to try it.
kemosabe said:
I load up the Pilot, leave the kid in the shopping cart and push it back to the "Return Shopping Carts Here" rack, and carry the kid with me back to the car.
I park a mile away so I don't get dinged, so it only makes sense to return the cart. Here's another hint, never park at the bottom slope of the parking lot, no matter how few cars are around. The carts will eventually roll there, sometimes at remarkable speeds.

#14 ·
Re: Thanks a lot Erpeters

baoloclamdong said:
Your symphathy is appreciated.About the shopping cart thing,I did put it back,well, it wasn't where it was supposed tobe,but there were like 5-6 of the others there and there was not too many vehicles on the parking lot at the time.Besides,I had 2 little babies with me,didn't want to leave them to take the cart to where it belong.It'was cold and windy too.Would not you do the same thing?
I for one would certainly have done the same exact thing, I was taught that the first thing you do with your child when you are in a
Parking lot is to get your child out of harm's way, put them in the car first and then your groceries or what have you.Now you have a dilemma you have a cart and your kids in the car what do you do
I first look for someone else that might neeed a cart even at the local shop rite that charges a quarter ,people are always grateful not to have to play with the quarter thing and i always give it to then no charge,if that is not an option then i look for a very nearby safe place to leave the cart and thats that.
As far as bringing someone with me ,what life are you living in pal In my world where both my wife and I work and we're taking turns picking up the baby we are lucky when we get to see each other never mind running to the grocery store together just to make sure your god damn door doesn't get dinged
So for erpeters i have just one suggestion,actually I have a few suggestions but only 1 is printable, you can park far away from any shopping carts or go shopping with a couple of people and let them protect your car while you do your shopping.
You know I've been on this site for a few months and thought it was great how evryone is so nice but there always has to be one jerk in the crowd and Mr.Erpeters you are the one here.

#15 ·
Whoa ... Whoa .... It sure is getting hot here ! :eek:

One way to avoid/reduce such incidents of carts wreaking havoc is to adopt the BJ's model, whereby you put in a quarter, take the cart, use it, return it to the slot and take your quarter out ....

Works most of the time here in NJ !

#16 ·
I'd like to appologize to all

First I'd like to say sorry for the confliction I may have caused.
Second,I would like to say thanks to all who put in nice words and kindly advices.Honestly,I've been around this forum for quite awhile and this is the first time I have seen something like this.

#17 ·
You don't have to apologize.. Your post was just as valid as anyone else's, and you were not at all confrontational.. Your message was a good one. Sometimes you get people who come online just to start a fire.. Forget about this thread and enjoy the forum.

rob

#19 ·
Re: Re: Thanks a lot Erpeters

pre-sage pilot said:
You know I've been on this site for a few months and thought it was great how evryone is so nice but there always has to be one jerk in the crowd and Mr.Erpeters you are the one here.
I'm sorry but I don't think someone is a jerk for asking people to be responsible. When I park my car I hope others will not open their doors into it, hit it with a shopping cart, or whatever and I make an effort not to damage others cars. I have 3 children so I do understand the problems, my solution was parking next to the rack for returning carts. I realize this usually means next to the further away rack not the closer ones. My point is simply that there are solutions to most problems, the jerk is the person that doesn't look for it.

#20 ·
baoloclamdong said:
Besides,I had 2 little babies with me,didn't want to leave them to take the cart to where it belong.It'was cold and windy too.Would not you do the same thing?
Well, since you're asking ;), *I* wouldn't have done it that way. That's why I always park next to the shopping cart rack. It means I usually can't park close to the door, but a little walk is not a big deal and I can put my cart away without having to either carry DD for a long distance or leave her in the car by herself (which, of course, I would never do). I do this not only to spare my car and others from the wrath of a loose cart, but also because my hubby worked at Wal-Mart during college and he had to round up the carts that people left everywhere. It's back-breaking work.

#22 ·
erpeters said:

pjb3,

I did not call This guy a jerk for his first statement, I called him a jerk for the above later response which I believe is confrontational
esp. when he tells us to stay home because we have children etc,
now making a good suggestion like parking near the return areas is nice, of course just yesterday I was reading my state farm adv. flyer and do you know what they say about parking in lots,"do not park near cart return areas as this is an area where carts tend to get away and cause scratches and dings"
So I don't know what the answer is but i do try to be as careful as I can be both with my cart and esp my doors.

#23 ·
Re: I am sorry too.

baoloclamdong said:
Good solution,but how often you get to park your car nxt to those racks every time you go to a shopping place?Mine ?always at the end of the rows.
I never have a problem finding a spot next to the rack, or one car away. Everyplace I shop (including Target) has several racks interspersed within the rows, not only at the ends. Of course, if yours are only at the ends, that may make it easier to find a spot next to them, since few drivers want to park that far from the door! If your stores don't have enough racks, maybe you can ask the management to add them. Squeaky wheel gets the grease, you know.

#24 ·
Pre-sage,

I understand your points. I guess I cut the guy some slack because I understand his as well. His statement was a little strong but if you reread it he is not saying stay home if you have kids, just that he should not have to pay because we do.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.