Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 Pilot is in need of new struts and shocks( 175,000 miles). I can get the parts wholesale but cannot install them myself. I called around to several shops and the best I got was $400 for labor. They charge $90/hr, and they figure 1 hour for the rear, and 3 1/2 hrs for the front.

Does this sound about right?

Thanks,

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,443 Posts
You can easily do the rear shocks if you have the right sized wrench and borrow the jack from another car to lift the hub and help align the shock.
The front strut does require the right equipment (strut compressor) to do safely. So ask them what the cost to do the front only is.
The rear shocks cost is small their time estimate for both sides is arguably high. The front time is definitely high.
Alignment should not be necessary.
You'll like the difference new struts and shocks make.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply.
I'm not physically able to do the work myself. It wouldn't surprise if the shops I called added a little to their labor charge to make up for the lose of profit on the parts.
I can buy 2 front kyb gr2 struts, 2 kyb rear shocks, and 2 front mounts for $293.00.
The average price quoted by each shop was:
Front struts = $170 each
rear shocks = $125 each
mounts = $100 each

·
Registered
249 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply.
I'm not physically able to do the work myself. It wouldn't surprise if the shops I called added a little to their labor charge to make up for the lose of profit on the parts.
I can buy 2 front kyb gr2 struts, 2 kyb rear shocks, and 2 front mounts for $293.00.
The average price quoted by each shop was:
Front struts = $170 each
rear shocks = $125 each
mounts = $100 each
strut mounts take 10 minutes to install.....just sayin

·
Registered
213 Posts
10 minutes to pull the entire strut, compress the spring and pull the strut mount? Then re-install?

I have not done this work on a Pilot but it looks like a very similar job that I have on a Toyota Sienna. It is easily 1 hour per side.

·
Registered
37 Posts
strut mounts take 10 minutes to install.....just sayin
I'm gonna have to say no way on that....I've been a tech for 15 years and start to finish, with a lift, airtools and a wall mount strut compressor would be 20-25 minutes per side at a normal pace...I could maybe do it in 10 with a gun to my head, but no shop will rush that much. What they quoted you is high though..I looked it up on my Mitchell estimator program and came up with this...

-Front strut assembly--R&R both--1.6hrs
-add combinations--upper mounts--0.3hr each side

-Rear shock absorber--R&R both--0.8hrs

So you'd be looking at 3hrs labor...maximum. They shouldn't be charging more than that, unless they can justify it(broken/seized bolts) as the majority of shops use either Mitchell or Alldata estimating programs and they are the industry standard. Unless they have thrown in the labour for alignment with it, thats all I would be charging my customers.

Realistically, they are gonna make money on this job, even at 3hrs...front end work is the bread and butter of shops..it pays good and can be done well under book time by a competent tech.

·
Registered
434 Posts
You can buy an entire front strut assembly for about $260 each side. So both sides for $520. Compare that to the cost you show of $340 for 2 front struts + ~$315 to install them =$655. You can save a few bucks if you buy the whole strut assembly and you don't have to mess with the spring compressor. Additionally, you get all new rubber mounts when you buy the whole assembly.

Regardless of which approach you use, you'll also want to get an alignment when you are done to make sure the front camber is correct. It is adjusted with the strut to knuckle bolts.

Finally, if you don't have a big-a$$ impact wrench for the lower front strut bolts, then I would just bite the bullet and have somebody else do it. When I did mine, those bolts were a bear to get loose.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Mudbog I'd like to know where you found a complete strut assembly ?

I searched and could not find one for my 2005 Pilot.:28:

·
Registered
434 Posts
I get most of my parts from www.hondapartsdeals.com. Select parts and then drill down for your model year. The strut assembly is located under CHASSIS ->FRONT SHOCK ABSORBER. THe Honda P/Ns for the 2005 model are:

Right: 51601-S9V-A06, $263.59
Left: 51602-S9V-A06, $263.59

If you want new mounting bolts, you have to buy those separately but the P/Ns above include everything else.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
That's really expensive and no guarantee if you'd receive it assembled. I intend to go with KYB $116 per side.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I bought mine from tim. the assembly is already ready to be installed. plug and play. I have a torque wrench hence the bolts where easy to remove. removal of the old strut is a breeze but install is tricky. I did a one man operator and manage to do it no problem. start the job by lining up the wheels forward. for installing the new strut, slide the whole piece top first then rest the bottom piece on the hub of the wheel. use a jack to lift the whole strut until you have lined up the strut bolts. install the nuts but don't tighten it yet until the lower piece is bolted in place. again use the jack to force the hub to the lower part of the strut until the holes are lined up.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,443 Posts
At least for first gen pilots Honda has always sold a complete pre assembled strut and spring set.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I get most of my parts from www.hondapartsdeals.com. Select parts and then drill down for your model year. The strut assembly is located under CHASSIS ->FRONT SHOCK ABSORBER. THe Honda P/Ns for the 2005 model are:

Right: 51601-S9V-A06, $263.59
Left: 51602-S9V-A06, $263.59

If you want new mounting bolts, you have to buy those separately but the P/Ns above include everything else.
Wow was doing research to compare prices for oem strut assemblies for my 2006 honda pilot and its looking like everywhere online is $570 each! That is absurd. Anybody have luck finding oem strut assemblies for cheaper?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts