Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just replaced camshaft position sensors, requiring me to pull off crank pulley, timing covers, side motor mounts, cam sprocket, front cam timing belt back plate cover, I have a Honda 2003 Honda Pilot Shop Manual that is very detailed. As I was checking my work on the timing belt to make sure all the arrows and marker lines were aligned correctly I noticed a light blue color that looked to be painted on the ends of both camshaft sprocket bolts. It made me question whether the blue was put on the bolt to indicate that blue thread locker had been used on both sprocket bolts. NOTHING IN MY HONDA MANUAL SAYS ANYTHING ABOUT USING THREAD LOCKER ANYWHERE. I also have a similarly detailed (thousands of pages and pictures) 2003 Honda Pilot Shop manual I downloaded in pdf form from the internet. Both manuals gives torque specs for the sprocket bolts, for the tensioner bolt, for the idler bolt, for EVERY bolt down to the dipstick bolt. Neither manual mentions thread locker - so I used none. I just carefully torqued everything to specification. After all that I have been through getting to this point, I don't want to visit this job anytime soon, so I am looking for expert opinion on whether or not I needed to use thread locker on any of these bolts. I am especially wondering about the sprocket bolts and the tensioner and idler bolts. My gut says that Honda would say if thread locker was necessary and identify what type to use if it was required. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
268 Posts
friction from torquing the bolt acts as the primary locking feature. If you want to be extra conservative, adding blue Loctite as a secondary locking feature shouldn't be an issue. You will need to prep all the surfaces per the loctite instructions. I am on my second timing belt, pump, etc I did not use Loctite.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The '03-'04 service manual I have says "apply liquid thread lock to the idler pulley bolt, then loosely install the idler pulley" then you install the belt and then tighten the pulley.

All the later manuals say to throw away the idler pulley bolt and use a new one. They don't mention the thread lock because the new bolt has it on it.

I did not use thread lock on the same bolt that came out of my '04 timing belt change when I did that job. I just left what thread lock was on it on there. Seems to be ok.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts