Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying a 2017 Honda Pilot. I have not come across a thread where someone has redone the shocks & struts yet. I’d think by 100,000 miles most shocks & struts are toast.

Please Advise....

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
I am thinking of buying a 2017 Honda Pilot. I have not come across a thread where someone has redone the shocks & struts yet. I’d think by 100,000 miles most shocks & struts are toast.

Please Advise....
Not necessarily. My 08 has 189K- original shocks and struts. Sure, they may need to be replaced- But as it rides now, I may not even see the difference.
If they were broke or riding poorly, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Sure, they may need to be replaced- But as it rides now, I may not even see the difference.
I guarantee you would notice, but whether you prefer the new, firm ride to the Coupe de Ville "King of the Road" feeling in your Pilot is another matter.

To the OP's question - I agree that at 100k it's time. Changing mine at 140k made the difference between a vehicle I really didn't like driving and a pretty good car. Unfortunately, it appears that OEM is your only option for a 2017, so as The Todd suggested, unless there's an obvious problem you might want to wait for other options to hit the market.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well, I needed struts at 80k miles but I also beat on it on washboard dirt trails. That said, they blew out, oil on the inner fender well. I would presume street driven only would last well past 100k miles.

Currently the only source for struts is Honda. Nothing, not even aftermarket oem replacement struts exist as of maybe a month ago. Who knows but I expect sooner or later alternatives will surface as these vehicles start needing them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts