Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again.

My wife's 2012 EX-L is around 130k miles, and needs shocks and struts. I recall reading a number of folks preferring the Bilstein B6 shocks and struts. I'd probably replace the shocks myself, and have the struts replaced by a mechanic, since I'm assuming that requires special equipment.

1. Are the B6 a good choice for everyday driving? No towing, up to 6 passengers at times.

2. Good vendors for these? I'm looking at Summit Racing, since Rockauto appears to be unavailable

3. Any other parts needed for the strut replacements?

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Bilstein make good replacement shocks for your Pilot. A complete strut kit is simpler for the DIYer as they come ready to install. Or you could pay to reuse your old springs and bearing plate.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just replaced rear shocks and front strut assemblies sort of lol. I went OEM with everything. IMO OEM prices for suspension aren't far off from aftermarket. I had to buy the individual parts for one of the struts as the assembly has been discontinued. On my last SUV I replaced the rear shocks with Gabriel and the front struts with Monroe quick struts and had instant regret. When my finance would ride with me in my car she had to wear a sports bra. The bumps hurt literally hurt. My mistake but now I tend to stick with OEM as much as I can. Bilstein make great shocks and struts my one issue is that on my truck one of my shocks had a bunch of rust on it after two years which annoyed me lol. Make sure you get it aligned after doing the front struts. My car is a 2014 Touring and has 185,000km (115,000miles) and a lot of the bolts were really tough to get out. I might recommend doing the sway bar links and bushings while you are in there. I think I paid $160 for the OEM bushings and sway bar links. Good luck!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I should add for the labor difference it's usually cheaper to purchase complete strut assemblies rather than just the strut of course unless you are doing the work yourself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, good thoughts. OEM is an option I hadn't considered. Is there a good source for OEM shocks and struts?

With regard to Bilstein struts, it doesn't look like complete assemblies are available for diy types, so I'd be looking at B6 bare struts and having a mechanic replace them, I guess

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
For grins, ask your mechanic what he/she recommends. They will be warrantying the quality of only their labor if you bring your parts to them, assuming that they would install customer parts at all. Most won't. They don't make any money on parts they don't sell, and always seem to on the hook for anything that might go wrong with them whether installation-related or not. A good mechanic has a relationship with their suppliers that might get them some reimbursement for warranty labor, where we as DIYers won't. The mechanic gets caught in the middle.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well I live in Canada so for me it was the dealership. I have heard people talk about a few sites:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@dr bob , good thought. Reading thru others bad experiences with many aftermarket shocks and struts, I thought I'd provide the parts instead of hoping they choose good parts. Maybe the better approach is to do what you suggest.

@richbloom , thanks for those links.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I went B6 on my 2012. Fronts from Summit and rears from Rockauto, but inventory is limited right now. I got the spring compressor from Amazon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts