Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I recently replaced the struts and shocks on my moms Altima with KYBs quick struts. They were awesome. Super easy to change, and yes it came with all new hardware. I just ordered new rear shocks for my pilot. Sadly the front quick struts are out of stock. I signed up for the mailing list but I haven’t been notified since then.
Yes have noticed it it out of stock as well. Does the discount code still apply? Other than having the whole assembly any reason not to use Genuine Honda here? Mine seem to last at least 187k.

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Yes this is the reason why I am looking. This is a 2004 from the Midwest and have never replaced anything in the suspension but been noticing jarring bumps lately (maybe I am just getting old lol), but also a thunk - found out to be a broken end link. Wondering if I should go out replace more than just the sway links.
For an ‘04 if one end link is broken the other side might be next. They are not too spendy at the local auto parts store or rock auto if you have time. Inspect the sway bar bushings too. If that takes care of the thunk then struts could wait a bit but based on the age they may not have that new vehicle ride and control anymore.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,292 Posts
Front sway bar bushings, too. Common problem but you can't eyeball they've gone out of round on the inside. OEM parts are dirt cheap.

·
Registered
9,292 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah, that would hurt the wallet. I’m currently planning on buying the two front quick struts at the end of this week from rock auto. I’m at 193,000 miles still on the OEM struts. They ride good, but they’re worn out for sure lol
Yes I think I am with you. I may do so also depending on the cost. I test drove a 2020 MDX recently and the ride and feel is almost the same (save for the 9 speed tranny). The main "feel" difference was the new suspension. Definitely wont pay for the OEM prices. These KYB's are sounding good.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 191,000 miles
249 Posts
Yes I think I am with you. I may do so also depending on the cost. I test drove a 2020 MDX recently and the ride and feel is almost the same (save for the 9 speed tranny). The main "feel" difference was the new suspension. Definitely wont pay for the OEM prices. These KYB's are sounding good.
Yeas they are. In fact I just placed my order for both my front KYB quick struts. Very excited to get them and see how drastic of a difference new struts are compared to the OEM with 190,000 miles. Won’t be here till next Monday, but that gives me some time to dog out the suspension the rest of the way and look forward to the plush smooth new struts up front and shocks out back! 😂😂😂

·
Registered
2008 Pilot 2WD 140,500
3 Posts
Brand new Pilot owner here and I'm looking into replacing most of the suspension if not all of it, for peace of mind. I'm seeing the Strut-plus from KYB is the go-to/highly recommended across the forum, my questions are this...Is there a major difference between the AWD and FWD suspension? I only ask because on the KYB site, their strut-plus is listed only for AWD for 1st gen Pilots, Am I out of luck? I would like a full assembly to prevent hurting myself. Thank you in advance for your help

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
Check other sites for fitment, like Amazon or Rockauto, etc. Some sites might assume all 1st gens are AWD.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot 2WD 140,500
3 Posts
Check other sites for fitment, like Amazon or Rockauto, etc. Some sites might assume all 1st gens are AWD.
Yeah looking at Rockauto, it specifically calls out the AWD for the KYBs for the '08. On amazon its even less due to having a LX-VP trim level.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot 2WD 140,500
3 Posts
Checked Hondapartsnow.com and the 4WD model uses a different suspension than the 2WD, so I guess I cant use the KYBs. I will find a different route now to move forward.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts