Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know a shock brand name equivalent to Honda OEM with same specifications or ride quality compared to original

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
+1 for KYB. Happy with mine.

You can get them here for a decent price. And then don't forget your PIloteers discount.

More Information for KYB 344353

5% Discount Code: 31517DFA058403
Expires: February 12, 2021

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@plplplpl was recommending the forum fav : RockAuto.com
Thanks for your recommendation I did order a pair of KYB for the rear of my Pilot good price on rock auto.com even better than eBay or Amazon, I didn’t see how or where to enter the discount code for Piloteers though maybe bc they were on sale

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
Thanks for your recommendation I did order a pair of KYB for the rear of my Pilot good price on rock auto.com even better than eBay or Amazon, I didn’t see how or where to enter the discount code for Piloteers though maybe bc they were on sale
You enter it when placing your order, in the box that says, "How did you hear about us?"

5% Discount Code: 31517DFA058403
Expires: February 12, 2021

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
It's kind of easy to miss when you're going through the ordering process. The first couple of times I used them, it happened to me and then I slapped my forehead like in the old "I could've had a V8" commercials.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
The discount code is entered onto a dumb spot that should have been labeled promo code but whatever. Rock Auto has great prices but make sure your order is absolutely correct as there is minimal to no online assistance.

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
Also, don't make the mistake I once made there. I ordered some parts well in advance of a job so they'd be there when I was good and ready. If you need to return something after their 30-day window (they print the date in big font on your receipt), you will be SOL* after their cut off date

*Sadly Out of Luck

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Are these the same shocks front and rear, just move the spring from the old shock to the new one on the fronts?
For my TLC project as a non-mechanic it was faster, easier and more importantly safer to buy the front struts with springs already loaded. IMO working with compressed springs leaves very little room for error especially for the novice, DIY, non-mechanic. One could have a shop transfer the old spring to the new strut if desired but then the other parts may be worn out too....something to consider

·
Registered
41 Posts
For my TLC project as a non-mechanic it was faster, easier and more importantly safer to buy the front struts with springs already loaded. IMO working with compressed springs leaves very little room for error especially for the novice, DIY, non-mechanic. One could have a shop transfer the old spring to the new strut if desired but then the other parts may be worn out too....something to consider
SO do you think that the actual original springs lose its form enough to change this out as well?

Does the kit come with all the hardware necessary?

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
SO do you think that the actual original springs lose its form enough to change this out as well?

Does the kit come with all the hardware necessary?
Depending on the age and mileage the springs could have some sag. The complete KYB struts I used came with 3 new top mounting nuts and you reuse the big knuckle to strut bolts. If you have significant rust the sway bar end links might be worn/cracking and rusted on requiring replacement.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 191,000 miles
251 Posts
I recently replaced the struts and shocks on my moms Altima with KYBs quick struts. They were awesome. Super easy to change, and yes it came with all new hardware. I just ordered new rear shocks for my pilot. Sadly the front quick struts are out of stock. I signed up for the mailing list but I haven’t been notified since then.

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
2005? KYBs fronts seem to be in stock here...

2005 HONDA PILOT 3.5L V6 Strut / Coil Spring / Mount Assembly | RockAuto

and rears here...

2005 HONDA PILOT 3.5L V6 Shock Absorber | RockAuto

Don't know why they're not available as a kit??

Don't forget your Piloteers 5% discount:

5% Discount Code: 61F8C3AFDC21E1
Expires: May 12, 2021

·
Registered
41 Posts
Depending on the age and mileage the springs could have some sag. The complete KYB struts I used came with 3 new top mounting nuts and you reuse the big knuckle to strut bolts. If you have significant rust the sway bar end links might be worn/cracking and rusted on requiring replacement.
Yes this is the reason why I am looking. This is a 2004 from the Midwest and have never replaced anything in the suspension but been noticing jarring bumps lately (maybe I am just getting old lol), but also a thunk - found out to be a broken end link. Wondering if I should go out replace more than just the sway links.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts