Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the Pilot Community as I just bought a 2011. Love the vehicle.

But now that it's cold outside, this thing shifts different when cold. Shifts great after a minute or two when it starts to warm up. But when you first start driving it, it gives slightly delayed shifts and some are harsh.

Wondering if the transmission in this vehicle it designed to shift different when its cold? I've had other cars that did shift different when cold---but they were supposed to. Maybe some sensor that compensated for cold fluid? I have 135K on my rig and just changed the trans fluid (Honda ATF)

So is the Pilot supposed to do that, or am I looking at some tranny issues soon??

·
Registered
155 Posts
Not to contradict what others have said, but it seems to be relatively common at least for me. It does take a while for everything to get warmed up which could certainly lead to things not being as smooth as they typically are. If it's really rough then there may be a problem.

·
Registered
784 Posts
This is common in every vehicle I've owned... the fluid needs to come up to temp for normal transmission operation, so slower or slightly rougher shifts are commonplace.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Was it doing this before the ATF change? What was the outside temp? This may not be a big deal. I will pay attention to what mine does on the next super cold morning

Was your ATF change just a normal drain and fill? (i.e., about 3.5 qts) This is a partial change and what you should do.

BTW - Never let a shop do a full "Trans fluid flush" where all of the ATF is pumped out of the top. They are known to cause tranny issues.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
On the 2014 Tacoma I currently own and on my previous 2003 Tacoma the tranny holds onto a lower gear for longer until things warm up. It’s probably what you described as delayed shifts. I believe this is done so the engine and tranny reach normal operating as quickly as possible. I’m not sure if the Pilot exhibits this same behavior since it’s my wife’s daily driver.

·
Registered
480 Posts
On the 2014 Tacoma I currently own and on my previous 2003 Tacoma the tranny holds onto a lower gear for longer until things warm up. It’s probably what you described as delayed shifts. I believe this is done so the engine and tranny reach normal operating as quickly as possible. I’m not sure if the Pilot exhibits this same behavior since it’s my wife’s daily driver.
Yes, there is a temperature sensor inside the Pilot transmission, and the computer will change the shift quality depending on the fluid temp. Cold fluid will mean deliberately sluggish shifts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Want to thank you all for your ideas and positive thoughts. You've talked me off the ledge----for now, I am going to view the cold shifting as "normal", and not worry about it unless if gets worse.

To answer a couple questions that came up: a) the outside temp I was referring to was down around 10 degrees F, and b) yes, the fluid change I did was only the partial one. Guess it wouldn't hurt to do that again after a couple thousand miles.

So I am all good for now. Thanks again for all your input. These forums are the greatest diagnostic tool every invented

1 - 8 of 8 Posts