Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had our Pilot EXL for about 3 weeks and was going to Mt Washington. I was checking the shifter to ensuure there a "D1" position and noted that I could not shift into "D3". "D2" or "D1" only "P", "R", "N" or "D" works. I did check the manual and followed the instructions. to no avail. Anyone else notice this issue?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I kind of had the same problem (this is my first automatic), but if u do look at the shift lever going down to D3,D2,D1 is different from P,R,N and D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, I have the same problem initially, since I try to pull it toward myself and push down the same time. All you need is to push it down. Only when shifting between P, R, N, & D, requires a pull.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Did you get the hang tag?

Did you get the hang tag?

The dealer should have given you or put on your shift leaver a hang tag that shows how the detents on the shifter work.

So much for good dealer prep.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
It shows a little picture of the shifter and the "path" though the selections.
I thought it was a bit simplistic, but I have driven so many diffrent cars it is not an issue for me.
I guess if it is your first automatic it would be a good thing.
I will try to get a scan of it.
Call your dealer and ask.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I did not get it either. No problem shifting though. Would appreciate seeing the scan. Don't suppose the same info is in the handy-dandy quick reference guide?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My wife tried the shifter again and She looked at the indents in the rubber at the steering colum and was able to shift into D3 D2 and D1. The Owners manual indicates to pull the lever toward you? I think this may be wrong. I would like to thank all who posted replies for their time and efforts.

·
Registered
236 Posts
tag

I received the tag. Although I thought it was quite humorous that the owners manual talked about "shifting between D, D3, D2 and D1 like a clutchless manual transmission".

Please! Clutchless automatics are a toy and nothing else. Although I bet the dealers could use this as an advertising ploy: Look! It has speed shifting! We should charge more money!

·
Registered
185 Posts
D, D3, 2nd

From my 83 Accord on, I've made liberal use of "manual" shifting my automatic transmission Hondas into D3 or even 2nd on downgrades for engine breaking. [In Western PA, there are only downgrades or upgrades, no flat spots.] On the Pilot, D/D3 is a straight shot and 2nd requires a slight pull toward you. Keeps me out of the brake shops.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Grade Logic

Actually, I'm really impressed with how the Pilot downshifts as you brake / go downhill.

I also really like the fact that when you're in D2, it starts out of second gear. Should really help when the white fluffy stuff starts flying!

·
Registered
12 Posts
scan of card

Here's a scan of the card that was attached to the shift lever of my Pilot.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Anyone else notice that the column lever position for D1 and D2 is pretty close to the driver's right knee?

I am 6' and I guess I have long thighs or something, but I am concerned about banging my knee on the shifter when in lower gear when "off roading" or when the snow starts to fall.

Nothing can be done at this point but kind of annoying "engineering".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts